Ltd Through Employer & Applying For Ssdi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sleepymomof3

sleepymomof3

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:16 PM

I am in the process of applying for Soc Sec Disb. I was working as a CPA and ended up on medical leave. I was on FMLA/Short Term Disb for 6 months and then had to apply for LTD. I was approved through my employers LTD plan and am now receiving a % of my salary. I was initially approved for a 12 month period through the LTD insurance company and was told that this is the longest time period they authorize at a time. My case will be reviewed yearly.

Will the fact that I am on LTD through my employer help my SSDI case? Has anyone gone through a similar situation? I figure it at least proves that my condition will last for more than 12 months.

Ive sent my approval letter from the LTD company to Soc Sec (my local office caseworker) 3 times now and I keep getting it sent back. I now have to send in a "Functionality Form" and Witnesses to my Seizures (Cataplexy) Forms to the adjudicator (??). Should I send my letter from the disb company in again, this time with the forms for the adjudicator?

Also, the LTD company wants me to use this attorneys office to help me with my claim. I am told that this will NOT cost me anything and that the LTD company will pay for the services. Should I go ahead and use this attorney now or wait until I am denied?

#2 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:27 AM

wow that is one of the more complicated disability suits I have run across. I am really unsure of this and once again I wish we had social worker friends here. I wish you luck though hopefully some one here will have an Idea for you!

#3 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

I used to work for attorneys, although it was criminal defense, not SSDI. However, if you can get a free consult, take it. You'll get your questions answered and have a better idea of what to do next. They can tell you how strong of a case you have, what angle to take it from, how much it will cost you and when, and all that fun stuff. Then you can decide how to take it from there. You don't have to hire an attorney for the whole case just to go in once and discuss the matter. In fact you don't have to consult just one...you can go to a few attorneys for consults without hiring any of them. Just be sure to bring in all your paperwork, medical records, and anything else they might find helpful in understanding your case.

I think Marcianna has a good idea trying to get someone on here who has specific SSDI experience. NN used to know some good SSDI attorneys...can't they hook us up with a forum SSDI guru? wink.gif

#4 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

That is a complicated case and so I would highly recommend that you get an attorney to handle your case for you, as SSDI/SSD will jerk you around, it's what they do and so an attorney can handle all of the stress and such that goes on with filing and you can avoid exacerbating your condition and being caught up in a technicality.

I absolutely wouldn't recommend doing this yourself, as the SSD/SSDI attorneys know precisely the who/what/where/how to go about your case and they will not require payment until after your case has been won, while they will not take it unless they are sure you can win, which you will, but you may have to appeal 1 or 2 times. It's just part of the process, so don't take it personal if you're turned down, then again some get it right away, but that's very rare. It also depends on the state you're in.

Look in the phone book for an attorney who specialized in SSD and make an appointment as soon as possible. They will usually do a consult free of charge, so there's no loss there.

Good luck.

jenji

#5 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

It is worth noting 80% of the time SS will deny you the first time. Be prepared to appeal ...if your lucky only once...but dont give it up!!!!! appeal appeal appeal!!!!!!