Ever Done Something While In The "narcolepsy Zone"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

I was going to call the local editor and ask to not put this in the paper and I forgot. OH S... A lady wrote in whining about why people were upset about The Confederate flag being flown in Wyoming, yes wyoming. This an especially sore spot for me. I am sick of racism, but I am sicker of the stupidity of people wanting to use something like Ole Dixie. This is an especially sore spot for me because I can't find my Daddy's Choctaw family right now. The tribal paper just ran an article about my family (today I got my first phone call though, so maybe hope yet to come) in its most recent issue. This is the MS Band of Choctaw. Anyway, I think I'm having withdrawals today and am shaking badly right now so I don't think I'm coherent. sorry. maybe i shouldn't even put this here. oh well. This is causing a problem because my husband is tightly knit into federal/state/local politics, although he's not a politician. I'll try to explain later because I realize I can't do it. Am just afraid that i've messed up somethig for him. I don't know yet.. He won't discuss it with me. I mailed this without him reading it, as I am so inderpendent... ha ha. I'll stop here because i'm rambling. Tell me if it's as bad as it's being made out to be because none of ya'll are involved with this in this small community.

Dear Christine,

From last week's letter to the editor by Laura Goffstein, I learned something new. Until I read it, I was unaware of the Confederate flag being flown in Dubois. Why on God's green earth did this happen? "What is offensive to one person may have a totally different meaning to another. I say let's not be so negative, but..." Good grief! This woman was born in Alabama and her daddy "a Southern history expert on the War Between the States..." and a Civil War RE-ENACTOR? So now she has the credentials to understand the effects of hatred on an entire race of human beings? And the credentials to ignore these effects? Excuse me a moment while I go vomit. She has family that fought on both sides? Ha, ha, ha, ha. Is that tidbit of info supposed to let us know that she is unbiased? Yes, Ms Goffstein, it truly was a War of Brother against Brother. I don't believe that I had any ancestors fighting on the Union side, but I had many, many that fought on the Confederate side.

Let me tell you where I grew up: I was born in Biloxi, MS, and I lived in MS until the early 1980's. My family includes the very first governor of GA, when it was a penal colony; two governors of MS; a senator; and, oh, yes: slave holders. I have a copy of one of my great-great grandfather's balance sheets that has itemization entries in the Livestock category that is, guess what? Yep, human beings. They are listed on lines just above cattle, mules, horses, and chickens. I just sat down from getting a copy of this balance sheet so that I could type in the verbiage, but I'm not going to do it because it's too disgusting. Ms Goffstein states that the War Between the States was "...an economic war for the South- not strictly a slavery issue,..." Um, guess what drove the Southern economy? Did she notice the timing that war was declared? Absolutely it was a states rights issue, but it was a states rights issue that was brought about because the cheap (putting it nicely) labor source was about to become nonexistent. By far not every person in the True South had slaves, but the ones that did were the ones that voted and they were the ones that were "stock"holders, I mean majority stakeholders, in the Southern economy. Even as a little girl I heard the Civil War referred to as the War of Northern Aggression. To be called a "Yankee" was as close to sacrilege as you could get without pulling God or Jesus Christ into the subject. Those were serious fighting words. It was common Sunday discussion to review genealogy, who died in the War (more so than WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam), which family members were in which counties when Jackson became known as Chimneyville, who had found what war relic in their backyard, etc. We had indentured servants in our past, and they were spoken of in hushed tones unless a family member wanted to "be understood" by a "colored" that he/she knew what slavery was like. Yes, African-Americans were still called colored and negro. That other word was more than common, just the same as discussions of KKK were not uncommon among people outside of my family. You must remember: mah fahmily wahs of ah genteal nayture. We Nevah would hahve condohned suhch thahngs. Evahn mah Mama wahs considahr'd ah True Souhthahrn Bayhlle. Uhntayl mah generahtion, everah femahle fahmily membah wahs ah cahd carryahng membah of thah DAR and thah DAC. Proud card carrying members at that. My Granny still is. I still remember going with my parents one Sunday morning to look at some property only to come upon a "colored" church that was just letting out from services. Not one single person would look at the still smoking, charred cross that had been burned in front of the church the night before. Not one single person could get past the centuries of beatings to take pride in themselves to go knock the damned thing over.

What is offensive to me, and I believe an entire race of people whose forefathers were brought against their will to this country so that my and probably Ms Gosffstein's forefathers could be wealthy landholders, is that there are still people in this country that cannot understand the fact that a stupid, yes, a STUPID piece of cloth is more important as a symbol of heritage than the fact that that same piece of cloth is a symbol of house burning, family breaking, human husbandry, blood letting, back breaking, neck hanging, skin burning, self hating, education denying, cat o' nine tails whipping, ... for an entire race of HUMAN BEINGS.

I wonder if Ms Goffstein has ever seen the hands of a person that had to pick cotton for a living. I'm curious if she has any idea that cotton bolls are hard, hand splitting shells. The hands that I remember seeing from childhood were hands that were permanently gnarled and covered in deep, deep scars. My Lord, woman, can you imagine being nine months pregnant with these bleeding hands still in the field picking cotton?

These human beings were NOTHING more than livestock to slave holders as can be evidenced from my own ancestor's financial books. This is not something that I share in pride, but only in hopes of education.
For the most part, an ENTIRE race of human beings have an established existence in America because of slavery and FOR NO OTHER PURPOSE. And for this Ms Goffstein whines for us to not be so negative.

For the People that claim Southern Heritage and Southern Pride: Do not talk of a piece of red cloth representing your families. Look to other beautiful family heirlooms that do not uniquely embody pain, sorrow, death, blood, sweet, and tears to millions of others. I have many heirlooms, one of which is a birth certificate, and every one of them I am pound of. NONE of which have that flag on them. To the State of Wyoming: Why in the world would you WANT to fly such a hateful remembrance? The Mason-Dixon line is far south of here. I cannot help but think that this racist disgrace only serves as a reminder to the First Peoples of Wyoming of what they have had to endure even to this day. Some that were relocated here were never even in this area to start with. A disgrace! An absolute disgrace! I give you my word that if this flag is EVER flown in Wyoming again that I will not only vote against whomever is responsible for it, but I will actively help anyone campaign against them. Ms Goffstein, you have not a clue of which you speak. You are the stupid white woman of which every other race speaks. You are an embarrassment to me, a person that has extremely deep Southern roots. These roots have given blood, and they have taken blood. Be it known, though, I am proud of my family. Ms Goffstein, I also want you to know that my father is Choctaw. I don't even know my Grandmother's family's name because of racism, nor my Granddaddy's mama's name. That flag is Hate. Nothing less.

Shanna Metzger

#2 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Sleepless, I would love to tell you that it is not as bad as you think, unfortunately I'm afraid it is. That, my dear woman, was a beautiful letter. I'm not sure how connected your husband is in the political world or what effects that letter may have on him and his career but I do think that he should be proud of your spirit, your fire, your love of humanity. As inconvenient it may be in politics where beliefs are couched in sterilized words, the things you said are things that sometimes need to be said.

Then again this afternoon I...uh... wrote a rather long, bitter diatribe in a comments section of an official survey about course closures at my university. Afterward, I discovered that the comments are planned to be read aloud during the University Senate meeting to decide on budget issues. There is no way for me to unsend my email survey of embarrassment. I am no financial guru let me tell you. And better yet, I clearly and loudly though not obscenely suggested the President of the University take a $100,000 pay cut. ohmy.gif And things like "ridiculously horrifyingly outrageous", "mindboggling", "absurd", "borders on insanity" and "milking the dead cash cow" were mentioned.

Although the sarcasm-detector-exploding-phrase-of-doom was probably "And yes, he'd have to save up coupons for a new Lear Jet but were all in this together aren't we?".

So I'd say that I'm probably not the best judge. huh.gif

#3 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (eww @ Apr 2 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sleepless, I would love to tell you that it is not as bad as you think, unfortunately I'm afraid it is. That, my dear woman, was a beautiful letter. I'm not sure how connected your husband is in the political world or what effects that letter may have on him and his career but I do think that he should be proud of your spirit, your fire, your love of humanity. As inconvenient it may be in politics where beliefs are couched in sterilized words, the things you said are things that sometimes need to be said.

Then again this afternoon I...uh... wrote a rather long, bitter diatribe in a comments section of an official survey about course closures at my university. Afterward, I discovered that the comments are planned to be read aloud during the University Senate meeting to decide on budget issues. There is no way for me to unsend my email survey of embarrassment. I am no financial guru let me tell you. And better yet, I clearly and loudly though not obscenely suggested the President of the University take a $100,000 pay cut. ohmy.gif And things like "ridiculously horrifyingly outrageous", "mindboggling", "absurd", "borders on insanity" and "milking the dead cash cow" were mentioned.

Although the sarcasm-detector-exploding-phrase-of-doom was probably "And yes, he'd have to save up coupons for a new Lear Jet but were all in this together aren't we?".

i agree. i don't think it's horrible, but i don't know where you are from or what kind of thing this represents as a whole. i think it's good though that you wrote it. dear god SOMEONE had to write it. if it weren't for people like you standing up to the stuipdasses of this world we'd all be done for.

#4 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (eww @ Apr 2 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG ROFLT
Is it a N thing, or just that we are some hot mamas? Kudos to you, my soul friend. Don't worry about it because deans, teachers, etc, know that students will do things like this. Some will secretly appreciate you doing it.

#5 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

Shanna there is an old saying that states: "Do not put Passion before Principle, you will lose in the end."

Clearly you are very passionate about this subject and the good thing is you have a very good balance of both Passion and Principle in order to be effective in your letter. Sadly... even though that woman is clearly misguided even in this day and age, for whatever reason, she is entitled to her opinion and can say as she pleases. But... those rules apply to you also and I am glad you took the initiative to stand up and speak out. I would not really worry too much about it, It is nice that there are people like you out there willing to meet these issues head on instead of just idly gossiping about them in the ladies room at church.
That took some BALLS woman! And I am very proud to call you one of my friends!

#6 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

Oviously you put this here before I posted yours pix on the inet. Heh heh HEHhhhhhhhh

Thanks, nice thing to hear.

OBTW, everything that I typed was true. It still haunts me about the cross burning in front of the church, and it is so incredibly sad to remember the hands that were mangled from picking cotton.

Thanks guys, we'll see the complete fall out within the next couple of weeks. I'll keep y'all up to date. Good support and much appreciated.

#7 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:19 AM

I think that the United States is incredibly touchy about race. But it seems that they are aware in a sort of "we can't say or think or acknowledge or do anything about anything that may have racial connotations" way. Take in mind that this is coming from a total outsider (and a white one at that) but unless the issues are actually addressed, race in America will forever be the elephant in the room. And a flamboyantly gay pink velvet elephant at that. When people do things like fly confederate flags claiming "states rights" they just add another row of sequins to the elephants fabulousness. Everybody knows what "rights" those states were claiming. It's not exactly secret. Not acknowledging it doesn't sanitize it. You can't pretend the history doesn't exist. That it doesn't mean heartwrenching things to people. That it isn't an issue that needs to be dealt with. It sounds like those things are exactly what this Laura was doing. Whatever the final fallout comes to entail, you should know that you did the right thing. The good thing. You said exactly what everybody else knows way deep down in some corner of their fuzzy brain but can't quite get themselves to believe. To really see. Cheers.

And I don't know if it's an N thing, but I compare it to rambling when I'm overtired. I can get really worked up but lose my brain/mouth or brain/ finger filter and it all comes pouring out with no sense of consequences. It doesn't make what I say any less true, but definitely far less "appropriately" worded. But I think we definitely qualify as hot mamas because our brains are so awesome. I love me a tiny dash of sarcasm in a well worded, intelligent and meaningful rant about the world.

#8 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

The only way to bring about change is to speak up. It can take real guts to do that. I have been surprised when my actions in the past have started entire revolts against the institution to bring about change for the better. It's not always easy, and you have to endure a lot of criticism at times, but boy I don't regret it a single bit because I know I was doing the right thing. I know that maybe you regret saying what was on your mind, but maybe your N moment allowed you to disinhibit yourself enough to say what needed to be said. I've had those "oh crap" moments, too, but I think your letter was great. I had a very insensitive, racist ex-boyfriend in denial who also used that "it was the cotton economy, not slaves" argument. What a way to skirt around the real issue. He also used to say really loudly in public that he felt like he was in a 3rd world country when he went to Wal-Mart and the Mexicans had 2 carts: 1 for the stuff and 1 for the kids. I was so mortified! This was the same guy that used to punish me for my N. Good riddance to him, I say! dry.gif

#9 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:55 PM

dd, i am beside myself. walmart ... 3rd world country? I don't really know what to say, exept...

YEAH, YOU GO GIRL! KICKED HIS BUTT TO THE CURB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Power on. You my girl.