Deuce Bigalow

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

Am I the only narcolptic who isn't really bothered by the movie? I understand they made fun of our condition, but at the same time he helped that woman. I know it was exaggerated, but that's all in good fun. It was more about him helping these people than making fun of their conditions.

People are ignorant and that's okay. I'm sure I'm ignorant about something that offends someone else. I just try not to be offended when someone says, "Oh, isn't that what that lady in Deuce Bigalow had?" and then they laugh. So? I can then explain to them what about that was right, and what was wrong. Hopefully they'll tell someone else.

Everyone is so uptight, religion, disease, hair color, skin color, oh no you're making fun of me. We all need to laugh, and sometimes it's good to laugh at yourself. and so what if ignorant people get the wrong idea? I don't think it's really holding us back.

Anyway, eveyone is entitled to believe and feel what they want. That is fine with me. I just hope others can see the humor rather than feel enraged by the joke... but I'm a redhead and have had many experiences with jokes and being made fun of while growing up just because of that. Maybe I've already learned to deal with being made fun of.

I feel like it's my job to educate people on the subject. I can't expect them to know about or understand my condition. and if they have the wrong idea, that is my chance to correct them. Eveyone I've told about my condition seems to still be somewhat confused at times, but I expect that. but every one of them has also been very supportive of me too. I can't get mad at someone for laughing when they don't understand. That isn't their fault really, and humans are not perfect.

Hope you all can see where I'm coming from on this.

#2 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE (Irishhh @ Mar 28 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only narcolptic who isn't really bothered by the movie? I understand they made fun of our condition, but at the same time he helped that woman. I know it was exaggerated, but that's all in good fun. It was more about him helping these people than making fun of their conditions.

People are ignorant and that's okay. I'm sure I'm ignorant about something that offends someone else. I just try not to be offended when someone says, "Oh, isn't that what that lady in Deuce Bigalow had?" and then they laugh. So? I can then explain to them what about that was right, and what was wrong. Hopefully they'll tell someone else.

Everyone is so uptight, religion, disease, hair color, skin color, oh no you're making fun of me. We all need to laugh, and sometimes it's good to laugh at yourself. and so what if ignorant people get the wrong idea? I don't think it's really holding us back.

Anyway, eveyone is entitled to believe and feel what they want. That is fine with me. I just hope others can see the humor rather than feel enraged by the joke... but I'm a redhead and have had many experiences with jokes and being made fun of while growing up just because of that. Maybe I've already learned to deal with being made fun of.

I feel like it's my job to educate people on the subject. I can't expect them to know about or understand my condition. and if they have the wrong idea, that is my chance to correct them. Eveyone I've told about my condition seems to still be somewhat confused at times, but I expect that. but every one of them has also been very supportive of me too. I can't get mad at someone for laughing when they don't understand. That isn't their fault really, and humans are not perfect.

Hope you all can see where I'm coming from on this.

No, I am not bothered by it because there is comedy in all areas in life, and we sometimes need to let go. I laugh at myself for the silly things I do caused by my narcolepsy and sometimes, I get upset about my condition. Narcolepsy is not a reason to feel self pity and have a chip on our shoulder. We have suffered an unfair roll of the dice, but there are many conditions out there the are truly fatal. Those with cancer or heart failure deserve the pity. Don't get me wrong, there are videos I have seen on youtube where students make fun of the condition and I have become upset. Only because it is done to humiliate others. Deuce Bigalow was a corny movie anyway and the character made fun of himself more than others.

I told a friend I haven't seen in 15 years that I had narcolepsy and he laughed out loud. He quickly stopped and said, "I am not laughing at you, I remember that movie..." I laughed back at him and said, " yes, but that movie was exaggerated. He asked me to explain it and everything was cool.

biggrin.gif

#3 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

I haven't seen the movie yet. I probably should. The thing that strikes me is that it was so memorable to everyone. I think at the very least, it provides a great way to open a dialog about the real N with people who don't know much about it. Thanks for pointing that out, malachi. smile.gif

#4 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

If we can't laugh at ourselves, what are we gonna do? Cry? They only time that I don't think that it's funny is when something happens like what Marcianna posted elsewhere. Someone purposely scaring a N so they would go down.

#5 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Yup, my ex did that to me one day. Snuck into the house after work when it was dark and yelled really loudly behind me as a joke. I had left the front door open and thought he was a psychokiller Once I picked myself up off the floor I let him have it. His reply: "Gawd you're so sensitive! It was just a joke!" dry.gif Did I mention he's my ex?

#6 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:43 AM

It's our "N' word....
We MUST take advantage of it...

Have a Duece Bigelow party for your county...
Stare at all your friends as the parts with the "narcoleptic" come up...

Okay, seriously...
Adam Sandler's crowd cracks me UP!
Maybe I'm guilty of a guilty pleasure...so be it!
These are the producers that brought us (Happy)Gilmore VS. (Bob) Barker

"The price is right, Bob!"

priceless

Is it right? Hell no...
But at least it introduced the term "Narcolepsy" to the masses...
It got them talking...I'll take that...

#7 Marietta

Marietta

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Puzzles, Eating, Gorn, Screwing with people.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:39 PM

I'm not bothered by it at all. Actually, I was quite pleased when my mother told me that woman had it in the movie. Felt good to know that even non-Narcoleptics would at least hear about it.

Also I thought the movie was quite funny.

#8 LukenfromPA

LukenfromPA

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:10 AM

I'm not bothered by it at all. Actually, I was quite pleased when my mother told me that woman had it in the movie. Felt good to know that even non-Narcoleptics would at least hear about it.

Also I thought the movie was quite funny.

I absolutely agree with your opinion on the situation with movie and on the movie in general:)

how to download music from youtube
video to mp3 converter

#9 Corundum_Catapult

Corundum_Catapult

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:math, science, medicine, music, reading

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

The film sounded boring when the trailers came out for it, and forgot about it until reading these forums. I didn't know there was any mention of narcolepsy. I did see a movie called Rat Race, I think, which had a character with narcolepsy while I was at my aunt's house as a kid. I don't remember anything about it, except for a vague recollection of one scene, where I think this guy had his head fall in his cereal. My perception of narcolepsy growing up was that it was something where people are very tired all the time and fall asleep throughout the day.

(I just looked at a clip from Rat Race, and it's very exaggerated acting, but even as a kid I knew it was more caricature than trying to stay true to life. I don't remember enough about the rest of the film to comment on its portrayal of narcolepsy or general quality.)

#10 Megssosleepy

Megssosleepy

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:53 AM

I thought the movie was funny, but its not really funny when thats all people think about when you say you have N, I try to not even tell people anymore. I told my ex and an aunt and they both were like yeah right you dont just randomly fall asleep while you are eating soup. Guess they had to make it simple so it would be silly. (and it was) Were fat/tall/terets people offened?

Maybe someone should make a serious movie about N, it could be really interesting... they could film the types of dreams we have... have the guy/chick wreck her car while she/he tired so hard to stay awake... actually show the real side of it, may have to be a life time movie tho... so i am sure they wouldn't have the budget for the dreams and hallucinations i have! lol Id watch it!!

Speaking of... i am a big documentary watcher, anyone know of one about us? I love hearing real life stories and the science behind it!! :blink:

#11 SleepyMarie

SleepyMarie

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

I watched the movie before being diagnosed.  Even though I don't have cataplexy, I do find it frustrating that it makes people think that everyone with narcolepsy has cataplexy, as well as that people experiencing cataplexy are "sleeping", like they are just laying there, resting peacefully, instead of paralyzed, wanting desperately to move, and able to hear everything that is said about them!  I have sleep paralysis and not being able to move is terrifying. 

Oddly, Honda just apologized for what I see as a shorthand version of this.  Deuce Bigalow showed a narcoleptic woman who couldn't bowl or eat without "falling asleep."  Honda made a commercial for the Fit saying that PWN shouldn't drive.  I have a hard time finding either "funny."  As a comparison, if Deuce Bigalow showed a woman having seizures that caused her to fall while bowling and have her head fall into her food, would that be funny?  If Honda made a commercial saying that people with epilepsy shouldn't drive, would that be funny?  Obviously, with either condition, someone who is responsible will only drive when they feel they are able to and their condition is under control, and people with either or both conditions spend enough time trying to show what we can do.  We don't need to start with people having a "baseline" that all PWN can't bowl or eat.