• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mastkids

mastkids

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hi all you who experience cataplexy...
Mine is brought on, usually, by eating rather than emotion. Anybody else????
And, although i have the facial loss of tone or dropping my head types that last a short time, I also experience cataplexy that lasts up to 3 hours. it comes on slowly so I know when it is coming and, once, drove to my physician's office so he could see it in action. I have descending paralysis and can move an arm or leg but with great effort: I cannot stand or sit upright. At the height of it, I can't even move my head. When it is over, it's over. I get up and am fine.
I keep reading that cataplexy lasts seconds to minutes. And that it is brought on by emotions. Is anyone else experiencing what i am?

#2 angellus

angellus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Feeling well.

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:04 AM

sounds like a sleep attack, not cataplexy

#3 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

That sounds like my cataplexy. If it's brought on by emotion, it only lasts 30 seconds, but it's mostly triggered by eating certain foods and can last up to 5 hours (if I eat kiwi. yikes.) If I eat gluten (wheat) I will have spontaneous C for 3 days, 'seemingly' caused by nothing and happening at random, but really a delayed reaction to something I ate days ago. Those attacks only last a few minutes, but it's not unheard of for my C to last hours. But hard to convince my partner that I did not, in fact, find doing laundry that exciting. just kidding wink.gif

#4 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (mastkids @ Feb 11 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all you who experience cataplexy...
Mine is brought on, usually, by eating rather than emotion. Anybody else????
And, although i have the facial loss of tone or dropping my head types that last a short time, I also experience cataplexy that lasts up to 3 hours. it comes on slowly so I know when it is coming and, once, drove to my physician's office so he could see it in action. I have descending paralysis and can move an arm or leg but with great effort: I cannot stand or sit upright. At the height of it, I can't even move my head. When it is over, it's over. I get up and am fine.
I keep reading that cataplexy lasts seconds to minutes. And that it is brought on by emotions. Is anyone else experiencing what i am?

Look no further than here... I mean: I do.

#5 angeline

angeline

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

My C lasts 2hrs to 5 days. The longest spell lasted 7 days. I don't know if it was triggered by food or hormones. Or both. All I know is it's awful inconvenient and upsetting to be unable to walk or sit up for days and to never know when it's going to happen or how long it will last.

#6 AckDreams

AckDreams

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:10 PM

After meals, especially after big meals or breakfast, I suddenly get very tired and if I fight it I eventually cataplexy and then I fall asleep waiting for the cataplexy to pass. When on no medicines I go through days where I'm sometimes too exhausted to do anything but sleep for a a days and then other days I'm just tired and needing lots of naps, but still able to function.