New To This!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mitzi

Mitzi

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

HELP! I'm new to this.... my 15 year old son has probable narcolepsy (based on symptoms so far). He has started Provigil which is helping. He had previously been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder due to extreme irritability and intense mood swings, including suicidal depression. Do you think he could have been misdiagnosed? Or, do some people have both?

Also, anyone know of any support groups in the Houston area? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Thank you!!!

Mitzi

#2 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Mitzi!

Welcome to our online community!

This is my experience, and not meant to say it's yours. smile.gif

I was mis-diagnosed Bi-polar and handed Zyprexa. Long story very short, Life crumbled. Lost my house...my family... everything that meant everything to me was gone.

Personally, I think Bi-polar is the default when they don't really know WHAT to call it...

Tell me, if your brain was confused about sleep and never was awake when you wanted it to be, wouldn't you be a little irritable with mood swings? Being narcoleptic in a world that rarely "gets it" is REALLY frustrating. I know there were too many times before I was diagnosed where life made no sense at all.

I think it is possible to have both, but after being in an "Institute" with co-patients who WERE Bi-polar, I really think it's VERY unlikely and very rare to have both. I know my life would have been better if I would have known I was Narcoleptic much earlier...and I know if it were addressed right to begin with, I would have NEVER been mis-diagnosed.

This link should help...
http://narcolepsynet...hp?showforum=65

Even if there's nothing there for you, it's a good idea to leave a post for others!

Glad to see you here Mitzi! Hope to see you around smile.gif

-Stu

QUOTE (Mitzi @ Jan 14 2009, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HELP! I'm new to this.... my 15 year old son has probable narcolepsy (based on symptoms so far). He has started Provigil which is helping. He had previously been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder due to extreme irritability and intense mood swings, including suicidal depression. Do you think he could have been misdiagnosed? Or, do some people have both?

Also, anyone know of any support groups in the Houston area? I can't seem to find anything on it.

Thank you!!!

Mitzi