Photo

Get Smart

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shallow_water

shallow_water

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The lights of my life are God,my husband, my sons and of course my dog jake!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

I saw this movie tonite and I thought it was good. I was hesitant at first to watch because I thought it was going to be one of those "it's just so dumb" but it wasn't !

Or Maybe I liked it because I stayed awake through the whole thing!?!

#2 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

While I could see that "staying awake" could skew your opinion, let me offer this gem...

Perhaps you stayed awake because it is a good movie! Also, I saw it, and while it lacks the complete camp of the original show, I too thought it was well done. I also tend to enjoy Steve Carell in everything. I am SURE that he is the sole reason that I liked Evan Almighty.

#3 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

Congrats to you all regarding your abilities to remain awake throughout your Christmas filmic experiences.

My parents insisted that their television remain fixed on TCM, which is fine b/c I can appreciate classic films. However, if the challenge is to remain alert, not to mention awake throughout your entire Christmas evening at the folks house, well then next time, someone may want to do a Ben Hur intervention on my behalf.

It. was. killin'. me. Despite the jarring decibel levels of the imperative --and the trojans conquered all---musical interludes.

jenji

#4 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

I know someone who worked with the camera crew on this movie. It seems like they shot the footage forever ago. She was the one that was trying to make a N documentary but I haven't heard from her in ages so I guess it was a bust. Oh well. I'll have to see the movie sometime soon. It looks pretty funny.

#5 shallow_water

shallow_water

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The lights of my life are God,my husband, my sons and of course my dog jake!

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

Mike - I agree it wasn't the whole camp like the TV series , - I like Steve Carrell as well , at first I wasn't sure of how he and Anne Hathaway would perform together but they did it and it worked.

Jenji - I love BenHur ! But watching after eating a huge holiday dinner would have been disasterous for me!

Dogdreams - It was funny and I'm sure glad it wasn't dumb funny - My son recently purchased
"Step Brothers" with Will Farrell but I had to leave the room a couple of times because some of the stupid things were annoying - I did better watching the second time maybe because I was in a sleep drunkeness state so every laugh made the mild cataplexy come out which made my hubby laugh even harder!

#6 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

I liked Get Smart, being a snot nosed kid of the 70s, I liked the series. I think Steve C. is funny as can be, and have him to think for many cataplectic moments from "The Office".

I think everyone has a 'Oh, that's just too stupid to be funny" level.
American Pie series was like that for me.

My Mom didn't like "Elf" which to me is holiday classic GOLD! THAT I don't get at all!
First time I saw it (in a theatre) I was thankful for comfy pass-out friendly chairs!