Photo

Apples!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

Ok I just posted on my blog about this, but for 7 years I avoided apples. They made me fall asleep something awful. Then I read that it was probably the skins, so I peeled one and ate it and nothing happened! I can eat apples sans skins!! Omg I'm so happy I had to share. Unbelievably happy!! I heart apples. You can read more here: http://dogdreams.bitesizelife.com

#2 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:22 PM

Did this happen with organic? Does this have anything to do with chemicals sprayed on apples? Or is it simply something in the peel itself?

If eaten alone, apples with peels usually make me sick to my stomach. Sans peels, I'm fine.

#3 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:50 AM

The profilins are in the peel itself, naturally. But yeah pesticides can be nasty too. Organic doesn't seem to make a difference for me, peel-wise.

#4 shallow_water

shallow_water

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The lights of my life are God,my husband, my sons and of course my dog jake!

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

Little things to be thankful for always bring the most joy. Godere della mele! ( enjoy the apple!)

This reminded me of a funny thing with my son when he was 4 and in nursery/daycare school. One day they were learning about fruit so all the parents sent in fresh fruit for snack time. I sent in strawberries and apple wedges. He was so excited the rest of the evening and telling me all he had learned about each fruit. When it was time for him to brush his teeth he explained to me it was NOT necessary because he had eaten fruit and since fruit is "natures toothbrush" he didn't need to use his ninja turtle one anymore cuz fruit works better and takes less time cuz I can eat and brush at the same time! blink.gif

#5 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Dec 25 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can eat apples sans skins!! Omg I'm so happy I had to share. Unbelievably happy!! I heart apples.

Now, I am smiling too! Congrats on celebrating the little victories! Or, given that it has been seven years, perhaps this is a BIG victory!

#6 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

Apples are part of a family that has trace amount of pectin in the seeds. Seeds in many fruits are what causes a lot of allergic reactions. Even though you don't eat the seeds, the trace amounts of these elements can be dangerous for some people.

Pectin isn't usually dangerous (it's actually in a lot of perservatives) unless you're alergic to it.

I'm a big Apple fan, so I can understand your joy! smile.gif

#7 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

Well, that could be so, but I really think it's profillins. Not only do all the fruits I'm allergic to fall into the same grass pollen/birch tree pollen category, but my mom just told me this week that she was injecting herself with these pollens and other allergens when she was pregnant with me. I said "Wha??" blink.gif I'm 32...why is this new news??

She couldn't get pregnant for 11 years after having my brother (I knew that part,) so she saw an allergist who had her inject herself with the things she was allergic to (mostly pollens and molds). She says if it weren't for that, I wouldn't be here, but I'm pretty sure there was some materno-fetal allergen transfer going on there. Personally, I think the fertility issue had a lot to do with her gluten intolerance/possible celiac, but I guess the allergy thing worked.

Anyway, I had sparkling apple cider last night for the first time in years without incident, so that also supports the profillin theory: if it's skinless or cooked/pasteurized, it's ok to eat. This is setting me up for some new food experimentation. I still won't touch bananas or kiwi with a 10 food pole, but that's probably due to my latex allergy (still related to pollen allergy tho.) Mind you, most of these fruits are only going to cause N/C symptoms, so it's not like I'm risking death or anything.