Photo

Sugar Crash

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 amazingracie28

amazingracie28

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Jewelry design, blogging about Narcolepsy, devising ways to make up for my Narc'd out memory and concentration.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:12 PM

I've been noticing lately that I seem to have some really bad sleep attacks after I've had sugar-for example my office today has brought a ridiculous amount of almost irresistable sugar monstrosities for our office Christmas party. I didn't even overindulge but now I'm having a horrible, can hardly keep my eyes open and head up crash. Its not because I'm full-I didn't eat a huge amount, just quite a variety. My Adderall isn't even helping. This doesn't seem to happen with anything else, and maybe its just a coincidence that it happens to be after something sugary but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this kind of thing with sugar? I've heard of the problems with gluten, but that's about it...any ideas?

#2 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (amazingracie28 @ Dec 22 2008, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been noticing lately that I seem to have some really bad sleep attacks after I've had sugar-for example my office today has brought a ridiculous amount of almost irresistable sugar monstrosities for our office Christmas party. I didn't even overindulge but now I'm having a horrible, can hardly keep my eyes open and head up crash. Its not because I'm full-I didn't eat a huge amount, just quite a variety. My Adderall isn't even helping. This doesn't seem to happen with anything else, and maybe its just a coincidence that it happens to be after something sugary but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this kind of thing with sugar? I've heard of the problems with gluten, but that's about it...any ideas?

a lot of people experience a crash after eating sugar, so it makes a lot of sense that a person with N. would have a worse time. i have a hard time after eating huge amounts of food. i haven' tnoticed with sugar but then again im a sugar face and am probably immune to it's effects by now...

#3 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

PWN should not eat sugar. Heidi L. sent me a link to a scientific paper that explains that glucose binds to orexin neurons and keeps them from working. Presumably, if you're one of those PWN that's lost 90% of your orexin neurons, you'll want to maximize the output of the remaining 10%. Keep in mind that you can't store glucose in your brain. It's stored in your liver, which sends it up as needed. Your brain requires a lot of energy through the proper channels. But if you are constantly spiking your blood sugar, well, that can't be good can it? I've had to avoid sugar for years because it makes me sleepy.

Also consider that the sugary items you were eating contained wheat gluten, which several of us find exacerbate our symptoms immensely.

The premise of the paper (see link below) is also a good reason to avoid getting Type 2 Diabetes since that would keep your blood glucose levels high even if you don't eat anything. I know there's a blood/brain barrier but obviously glucose has to get in to feed your brain. Following a low-glycemic diet might work well for you. Your body is capable of converting just about anything you eat into glucose; fats, proteins, and more complex starches & sugars. Natural foods like fruits & veggies and healthy meats will give you all the energy your brain needs without the sleepiness. The longer it takes for your body to break down the food, the better it is for you, although you have to watch your fat consumption because fat packs twice as many calories pound-for-pound as sugar does. High fat diets will also cause diabetes.

As far as sugars go, High Fructose Corn Syrup is the worst, (and a misnomer.) It's 50/50 glucose/fructose floating separately from each other in both of their isomer forms. Your body doesn't even have to work to break down the corn sucrose...some industrial chemical process has done that for you. Since your body uses D-glucose most readily, HFCS is going to spike your blood sugar more than any other type of sugar you could consume. If you're drinking sodas to keep awake...well maybe try some coffee or tea. The aspartame in diet soda isn't going to be any healthier.

Here's the paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm....0?dopt=Abstract

#4 amazingracie28

amazingracie28

• Members
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Jewelry design, blogging about Narcolepsy, devising ways to make up for my Narc'd out memory and concentration.

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Dec 22 2008, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PWN should not eat sugar. Heidi L. sent me a link to a scientific paper that explains that glucose binds to orexin neurons and keeps them from working. Presumably, if you're one of those PWN that's lost 90% of your orexin neurons, you'll want to maximize the output of the remaining 10%. Keep in mind that you can't store glucose in your brain. It's stored in your liver, which sends it up as needed. Your brain requires a lot of energy through the proper channels. But if you are constantly spiking your blood sugar, well, that can't be good can it? I've had to avoid sugar for years because it makes me sleepy.

Also consider that the sugary items you were eating contained wheat gluten, which several of us find exacerbate our symptoms immensely.

The premise of the paper (see link below) is also a good reason to avoid getting Type 2 Diabetes since that would keep your blood glucose levels high even if you don't eat anything. I know there's a blood/brain barrier but obviously glucose has to get in to feed your brain. Following a low-glycemic diet might work well for you. Your body is capable of converting just about anything you eat into glucose; fats, proteins, and more complex starches & sugars. Natural foods like fruits & veggies and healthy meats will give you all the energy your brain needs without the sleepiness. The longer it takes for your body to break down the food, the better it is for you, although you have to watch your fat consumption because fat packs twice as many calories pound-for-pound as sugar does. High fat diets will also cause diabetes.

As far as sugars go, High Fructose Corn Syrup is the worst, (and a misnomer.) It's 50/50 glucose/fructose floating separately from each other in both of their isomer forms. Your body doesn't even have to work to break down the corn sucrose...some industrial chemical process has done that for you. Since your body uses D-glucose most readily, HFCS is going to spike your blood sugar more than any other type of sugar you could consume. If you're drinking sodas to keep awake...well maybe try some coffee or tea. The aspartame in diet soda isn't going to be any healthier.

Here's the paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm....0?dopt=Abstract

That is so interesting-I didn't even think about the diet soda either-I drink at least 24 or more ounces a day. I think I'm going to try to do some tracking and see if I feel less sleepy on a more hypoglycemic diet.... can't hurt to try it.

#5 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

High fructose corn syrup and aspartame: aka The Devil's Blood.

jenji

#6 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:53 AM

Thank you Dogdreams for that link. That will help alot!

I dont know about artificial sweetners as I am allergic to them, but I will say I have problems with sugar also. Since I am Hypogylcemic, I always assumed that it was related to that, but now after seeing this article, perhaps not? I learn something new everyday I sign in! Thanks!

#7 amazingracie28

amazingracie28

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:03 PM

I also found this article while searching around online today.

http://www.lbknews.c.../B-091506P2.pdf

While it talks more about the link between weight and orexin-there is a little bit about sugar and orexin.

#8 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

Wow....NO sugar?

Man...life would kinda suck if I did all the right things. I love the sweet things...
I love home baked bread...

I want to do right, but HOW!?!?!

hehehe....Sugar Crash would be a great name for a band.

#9 amazingracie28

amazingracie28

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE (greatbig47 @ Dec 23 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow....NO sugar?

Man...life would kinda suck if I did all the right things. I love the sweet things...

Day one on the no sugar thing and I've caved to the diet sodas...lol...the coffee here at work was just that bad today-couldn't even think about drinking it! I'll see how it goes tonight as I'm getting candy together for the kiddos' stockings...dove chocolate likes to call my name. Loudly. I feel ya on the bread too....its the smell that gets me more than anything.

Sugar Crash-sounds like something I'd listen to...lol...good call, Stu tongue.gif

#10 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (greatbig47 @ Dec 23 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow....NO sugar?

Great name! In college I came up with "Slurpee, Soda Killer". heh

Giving up sugar is a huge sacrifice but there are alternaives and I do consume some in moderation. Extreme moderation. Like I've been drinking Silk Soy Nog for the holidays. That has expeller-pressed organic cane juice. Not nearly as bad as HFCS. I also try to keep the amount of sugar under 10g per serving, and definitely under 20g. The lower, the better. There's a balance you have to maintain when you go sugar-lite or sugar-free because even if it doesn't make you sleepy, it will make you hungry later. Like the painful kind of hungry.

I don't have problems with Splenda in most products (the pure syrup does give me a headache) so I get Dove sugar free chocolate creams. They're gluten free, sugar free, and the some of the most decadent chocolate I've ever had. Sugar alcohols are also great, although too much can act as a laxitive for some, so moderation there, too, people.

#11 shallow_water

shallow_water

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The lights of my life are God,my husband, my sons and of course my dog jake!

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

I get the sugar crashes too. Actually I have to monitor for hypoglycemia. I've monitored my carbs and sugar for a while. I lost weight after the first year and maintained it for a while until the N creeped up hard and fast.

One sugar alternative I've found is stevia - I found it in little packets in the GNC section of my local rite aid pharmacy.

#12 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (shallow_water @ Dec 24 2008, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get the sugar crashes too. Actually I have to monitor for hypoglycemia. I've monitored my carbs and sugar for a while. I lost weight after the first year and maintained it for a while until the N creeped up hard and fast.

One sugar alternative I've found is stevia - I found it in little packets in the GNC section of my local rite aid pharmacy.

Stevia's good and it's really natural. I personally don't care for the taste, but it's a great alternative if you do like it.

#13 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:20 AM

If you completely cut sugar - most people are in for a bad ride.

You will discover how incredible physically and psychologically addictive you really are to the foodstuff.

Cold Turkey. Big time.

Also it is natural to feel sleepy after sugar (or any calorific meal) as we have been hard-wired by nature to rest thereafter.

Now anything that makes a normal people feel slightly sleepy.
Will be greatly exarcebated under N.

Some people though. They Hyperactives. Do not feel sleepy after glucose - but in fact becomes "Super" Hyper.

These bio-types even employ Glucose drink as a pick-me-up when they feel lethargic, sleepy or tired.