• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 catorr

catorr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:travel,cats,gardening,reading,music

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:54 PM

Is anyone else irritated by the recent adoption of the term "person(s) with narcolpsy"? Isn't it an unnecessary mouthful? What's wrong with being a "narcoleptic"?

#2 sleepytymegal

sleepytymegal

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:reading, decorative painting, travel, grandchildren, pet poodle

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

[/color]

[u][color=red]

It IS awfully "politically correct," isn't it? I don't mind (well, of course I mind) being a narcoleptic. Do wish it were more socially acceptable.

#3 DozyDayDreamer

DozyDayDreamer

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

Personally, I prefer PWN because Narcolepsy is just something I have. Despite being affected in nearly every aspect of life by it, I'm not defined by it.

But, if you want to be called a Narcoleptic, by all means have at it. For me I prefer PWN.

#4 Marinaki

Marinaki

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:17 PM

I agree with Dozy.

I am Marina. Marina also happens to have Narcolepsy. I was Marina for 23 years before Narcolepsy... has it changed me my personality and my life absolutely but it is CoMorbid with my being me an individual with Narcolepsy.

The same way a child with autism is just that a child with autism they are not autisic they has autistic tendencies.

Political Correctness is a sensitive issue, but you must also remember that you are what you believe. to me saying that you are a narcoleptic is saying that you allow it to become you, whereas saying you are a person with narcolepsy is saying that it inhibits you but that is not all that you are.

You are you. Maybe sleepy but you are you.

#5 mpollock

mpollock

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:17 PM

To me? It doesn't matter. Narcolepsy doesn't define me, but then again... neither does a name.

#6 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:03 AM

I was looking through some of the old threads and saw this....

Had to throw my two cents in.

at first I did not minded the new term, it's really not a big deal but new internet slang has got it meaning something entirely diffrent. So I think that sadly since we are in the minority here we should not use it for ourselves. Alot of internet slang is stupid, but since it is so widely used we really do have to think about what we are actually saying, and what others think we are saying. Sad truth.

#7 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

Narcoleptic is too close to Necrophiliac and I definitely don't want to be called that!!!! wink.gif

When I was in college the first time, I worked at the Disability Resource Center. The staff there really stressed that we were working with "students with disabilities," not "disabled students."

Like others in this thread, I prefer to be a person first.

#8 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

Amen to that, Kimberly! I too like the idea of being a person before a condition. At the same time, I don't find narcoleptic offensive. I like what mpollack said - my narcolepsy does not define me! Certainly it is a part of my life, but I am so much MORE than this condition.

#9 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (catorr @ Oct 13 2007, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is anyone else irritated by the recent adoption of the term "person(s) with narcolpsy"? Isn't it an unnecessary mouthful? What's wrong with being a "narcoleptic"?

A rose by any other name is but a rose...

#10 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (Kimberly @ Sep 14 2008, 02:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Narcoleptic is too close to Necrophiliac and I definitely don't want to be called that!!!! wink.gif

I have soooo been called that. nasty.... dry.gif

I understand where some of you are coming from, not wanting to be defined but there are many things that define us. There really is no way of getting out of it. So why get upset? It's part of who we are. And if you cant accept yourself then no one else will either.

I am defined as: Female, white, Irish, democrat, a lousy cook and a great listener. Narcoleptic is just one more thing to add to the list.
It doesn't bother me any to be called that. I still prefer it over lazy (or Spoiled Princess Procastination is new lately) any day! lol.