Photo

Unique Fantasy Come True - What's Yours?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

We have all experienced a day that is wonderful (I hope). That first kiss, birth of a child, etc. But what is something that you have experienced that is truly unique? Somehthing that was like a fantasy come true?

For me, I was able to play with a jaguar one day. Literally and not literally. We had a large piece of glass between us, but I LOVE big cats and if that was the best that I could do to be next to one, then so be it. I'm not a big fan of zoos, but I took my then 8 y.o. son to the Houston zoo. It was getting late and the sky was overcast. On our way out, we walked by the jaguar exhibit, which was very long and a bit narrow compared to the length. I think it was still a decent size considering the animal had to be in captivity. The exhibit did not have bars and was not separated from people with a fence. The entire portion that was exposed was surrounded by what appeared to be thick glass, but was probably some type of polycarbonate. There was no one else around and the jaguar looked so bored. I read that it was a female, and from her looks I'd say that she was just hitting adulthood. On a whim I knocked on the glass and ran the length of the cage, and she chased me. I ran back the other way, she chased me, and when I got to the end I jumped at the glass and put my hands on the glass as high as I could. She did the same thing and spread her paws the same width as my hands. I bent my knees just a bit and stood there face to face with her. Then I took off again. We did this for probably ten minutes. My son was so disinterested. (we went to houston to be w/ my mother getting tests at MD Anderson hospital - Keith wanted to get back to hotel w/ her)

I was getting winded, so I stopped. There was a foot or two, can't remember, of ground between sidewalk and jaguar exhibit. I sat to catch my breath and the cat came and laid next to me and rolled over to show her belly. If only I could have safely scratched it! Big cats truly have always been my favorite animal. I placed my hand on the glass, and she placed her paw on my hand again. I broke a twig that used to play with her as though she were a kitten playing with me. You know what? She tried to play with it. The zoo was closing and Keith really wanted to get back to my mother, so I left the jaguar. We played for probably twenty minutes. It's hard going to a zoo. It's hard leaving a zoo. It's hard leaving a jaguar behind that has pouty eyes asking were her playful dessert is going.

It was the closest thing to a (clean) unique fantasy fulfilled that I've had. Here are some pics that I took while playing. There were no mud marks on the glass when we got there. You'll see mud smears all over the glass in the pics. It's all from her trying to get me or touch paw to hand. It was hard to capture the fun, but man, isn't she incredible?:

[attachment=75:jaguar2web.jpg] [attachment=76:jaguar3web.jpg]

[attachment=74:jaguar1web.jpg] [attachment=77:jaguar4web.jpg]

[attachment=78:jaguar5web.jpg]

#2 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

Looking at the pictures again, I just want to give her a big hug and scratch her ears! I don't think that will ever be a reality, though. I would like to live. wink.gif

#3 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Dec 10 2008, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at the pictures again, I just want to give her a big hug and scratch her ears! I don't think that will ever be a reality, though. I would like to live. wink.gif

check out this site
www.tigertemple.org

#4 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

Oh! Wow! If I wasn't afraid to fly, I'd go in a heartbeat. I love big cats so much that just seeing someone get to be near one is awesome.

Thanks!

#5 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Mine hasn't come true yet. I want to swim with dolphins. For free. Money is always an issue with me.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a whale trainer at Sea World. I have become a biologist, but never went the Marine Biologist route. Still...the dolphin thing...wow that would be so amazingly cool. The 12 year old in me still wants to do that.

#6 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

I dont have many clean fantasies, but I will give it a shot. LOL!

so far nothing has ever come true yet, but the one thing I would really like to do is those ribbon dances they do at the circus, where the people are hanging from ribbons form the ceiling... That is so freaking cool. My next one would be to ice skate. The reson I pick these two is because in my mind it is the closestthing to flying. and How Kick butt would it be to be able to fly!?!?

#7 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

Shoot.

I fly all the time whilst presumably awake. I thought that was a unique Narcoleptic thing.

jenji

#8 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Dec 19 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How Kick butt would it be to be able to fly!?!?

I am always walking outside at work or on the way home looking into the sky wishing I could just push off the ground, take off, and fly through the clouds. I would love nothing more than to just fly away from all the nonsense of daily life.

When I die, I'm going to spend my afterlife flying through cities at night, weaving around the buildings. Cities are the most beautiful places at night! I think I'll probably catch a show or two while I'm at it. smile.gif Maybe that means one of my real-life dreams is to live in the heart of a city and go to live theater on a regular basis. lol

#9 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (jenji @ Dec 20 2008, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shoot.

I fly all the time whilst presumably awake. I thought that was a unique Narcoleptic thing.

jenji

lol. I have had situations like that!

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Dec 20 2008, 04:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am always walking outside at work or on the way home looking into the sky wishing I could just push off the ground, take off, and fly through the clouds. I would love nothing more than to just fly away from all the nonsense of daily life.

When I die, I'm going to spend my afterlife flying through cities at night, weaving around the buildings. Cities are the most beautiful places at night! I think I'll probably catch a show or two while I'm at it. smile.gif Maybe that means one of my real-life dreams is to live in the heart of a city and go to live theater on a regular basis. lol

Depending on your version of the after life, that is not entirely impossible. Maybe we will meet in the air sometime! then we can go see Peter Pan!

#10 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Dec 10 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have all experienced a day that is wonderful (I hope). That first kiss, birth of a child, etc. But what is something that you have experienced that is truly unique? Somehthing that was like a fantasy come true?

For me, I was able to play with a jaguar one day. Literally and not literally. We had a large piece of glass between us, but I LOVE big cats and if that was the best that I could do to be next to one, then so be it. I'm not a big fan of zoos, but I took my then 8 y.o. son to the Houston zoo. It was getting late and the sky was overcast. On our way out, we walked by the jaguar exhibit, which was very long and a bit narrow compared to the length. I think it was still a decent size considering the animal had to be in captivity. The exhibit did not have bars and was not separated from people with a fence. The entire portion that was exposed was surrounded by what appeared to be thick glass, but was probably some type of polycarbonate. There was no one else around and the jaguar looked so bored. I read that it was a female, and from her looks I'd say that she was just hitting adulthood. On a whim I knocked on the glass and ran the length of the cage, and she chased me. I ran back the other way, she chased me, and when I got to the end I jumped at the glass and put my hands on the glass as high as I could. She did the same thing and spread her paws the same width as my hands. I bent my knees just a bit and stood there face to face with her. Then I took off again. We did this for probably ten minutes. My son was so disinterested. (we went to houston to be w/ my mother getting tests at MD Anderson hospital - Keith wanted to get back to hotel w/ her)

I was getting winded, so I stopped. There was a foot or two, can't remember, of ground between sidewalk and jaguar exhibit. I sat to catch my breath and the cat came and laid next to me and rolled over to show her belly. If only I could have safely scratched it! Big cats truly have always been my favorite animal. I placed my hand on the glass, and she placed her paw on my hand again. I broke a twig that used to play with her as though she were a kitten playing with me. You know what? She tried to play with it. The zoo was closing and Keith really wanted to get back to my mother, so I left the jaguar. We played for probably twenty minutes. It's hard going to a zoo. It's hard leaving a zoo. It's hard leaving a jaguar behind that has pouty eyes asking were her playful dessert is going.

It was the closest thing to a (clean) unique fantasy fulfilled that I've had. Here are some pics that I took while playing. There were no mud marks on the glass when we got there. You'll see mud smears all over the glass in the pics. It's all from her trying to get me or touch paw to hand. It was hard to capture the fun, but man, isn't she incredible?:

[attachment=75:jaguar2web.jpg] [attachment=76:jaguar3web.jpg]

[attachment=74:jaguar1web.jpg] [attachment=77:jaguar4web.jpg]

[attachment=78:jaguar5web.jpg]

I am such a huge fa nof cats it is almost rediculous. I love big cats. I would love to work at a rescue facility. I would totally clean poop just for the experience!

#11 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Dec 11 2008, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine hasn't come true yet. I want to swim with dolphins. For free. Money is always an issue with me.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a whale trainer at Sea World. I have become a biologist, but never went the Marine Biologist route. Still...the dolphin thing...wow that would be so amazingly cool. The 12 year old in me still wants to do that.

I geared towards marine biology at one point in my life.

After my mother was sick, she told me that she wanted to swim with dolphins. At that point she was too sick to travel, though, but I would've taken her anywhere that she wanted to go. When I first read your post, I couldn't answer it because now I associate the two things together. I really need to get over it.

Anyway - I do think it would be awesome to swim with dolphins. I love swimming and being in the water. Warm water that is. It is so friggin' cold here that even summer time swimming is not doable.

#12 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Dec 23 2008, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am such a huge fa nof cats it is almost rediculous. I love big cats. I would love to work at a rescue facility. I would totally clean poop just for the experience!

I used to have a full time job, which I would leave everyday and go to work for a guy taking care of his 6 quarter horse racehorses. I would go all day on Saturdays and help during the races. I fed the horses and cleaned the stalls for $50 a week. Cash. Hmmm, and I thought I was the one getting a good bargain. The owner was a real jerk so I only stayed for three weeks.

I don't know if I could do that for big cats because I would want to hug 'em and pet 'em and call them George.

Does anyone know what cartoon that last bit came from?

#13 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Dec 23 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know if I could do that for big cats because I would want to hug 'em and pet 'em and call them George.

Does anyone know what cartoon that last bit came from?

Bugs bunny? and clearly a reference to "Of mice and men." I think there was a giant in Mikey cartoons that did that too.

Your horse story sounds like something my mom would have done. She's nuts for horses.

#14 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:02 AM

Yep. Bugs and Daffy should have turned left at Albuquerque but ended up at the Abominable Snowman's feet. I can't remember which, but AS picked up Bugs or Daffy (thinking Daffy was a duck). AS then said what I typed in my last post.

#15 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

I think mine would be to able to live on Kauai, but then head to the Scottish Highlands whenever I need a break. One of the best summers I have had recently (even more surprising since it was in the middle of my crazy quest for some kind of medical answers) was in 2004. I got to spend 2 weeks on Kauai - which might actually be heaven. Then, I spent 3 weeks in Great Britain, of which 5 days were primarily in the Scottish Highlands. In a faerie glen on the Isle of Skye, I literally felt like I found a piece of myself. So I guess my fantasy would be independent wealth with the ability to teleport!

#16 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Without an absolute doubt, my unique fantasty come true begins when...
wait...(reading post a bit more carefully)

...oh, keep it clean.

Nevermind.

jenji