Ddt Exposure?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Anyone here ever had excessive DDT exposure? I'm curious about immune disorders triggered by environment, or would that be every case? Anyway, I've posted that both my parents have had brain tumors. My father had N w/ C. He wasn't dx'd w/ it, but he had the same as me. They grew up in MS, which at that time the state was mostly agricultural. When I grew up there, DDT had not yet been banned, and mosquito trucks used to regularly drive along the roads and spray DDT. There would be "fogs" of DDT that we would run around in. A year or two ago I contacted the CDC and asked if there were any known chronic problems caused by prolonged exposure to DDT, and they responded with a "no." I don't understand why it was banned if that is the case, but anyway, have any of you experienced any exposure to harsh chemicals like this?

#2 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

Anyone? or least any thoughts on this?

#3 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Well clearly their response is wrong. DDT causes lots of biological problems. Just look at the problems endangered birds have with their eggs and fertility.

I think you'll get better information searching the web than you will here, though. I personally don't know any details about DDT, but I did read "Our Stolen Future". I think you'd really like that book. I also took Hormones and the Nervous System in college and there are lots of neurological problems that can arise from exposure to pesticides and any other synthetic chemicals. If N requires an environmental trigger in a predisposed person, then I think DDT could qualify, don't you? But I don't think it's been studied formally.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

#4 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:06 AM

I read a research paper a while ago that was looking at a possible connection relating DDT exposure to human infertility due to hormonal imbalance (specifically polycystic ovary syndrome) and the results, though far from conclusive were definitely interesting. I believe there are lots of studies kicking around about DDT and it's possible effects. I do know in that one paper they were looking at both women exposed directly AND women who's mothers were exposed. I'm not sure if that helps any as it's not looking at neurological effects but I do know there is information to be found. If you'd be interested in the paper I'm referring to I will try to post a link. If I can remember where I found it...

Oh yeah, and bodies like the CDC would quite probably say a simple "no" because DDT and similar toxins have often not been PROVEN to CAUSE detrimental effects. Even if some sort of relationship is clearly displayed, proving that the relationship is causational can be very difficult (if not in some cases impossible). Often it can be claimed to exacerbate existing issues, or there are other circumstances that cannot be completely eliminated at possible causes.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

#5 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

[quote name='eww' date='Dec 10 2008, 12:06 AM' post='7150']
I read a research paper a while ago that was looking at a possible connection relating DDT exposure to human infertility due to hormonal imbalance (specifically polycystic ovary syndrome) and the results, though far from conclusive were definitely interesting. I believe there are lots of studies kicking around about DDT and it's possible effects. I do know in that one paper they were looking at both women exposed directly AND women who's mothers were exposed. I'm not sure if that helps any as it's not looking at neurological effects but I do know there is information to be found. If you'd be interested in the paper I'm referring to I will try to post a link. If I can remember where I found it...

That's interesting. My mother, my sister, and I all have problems with ovary cysts, but obviously not infertility. My mother and my sister both had full hysterectomies at young ages. My sis first had an ovary removed because of - I've forgotten the term - a large cyst had formed in it. The cyst had pieces in it of things like teeth, or maybe it was hair. It's been almost two decades, and all I can remember is that it had what I considered as human pieces embedded in it. My mother had the same thing, but it occurred during a time when a woman would be given a full hysteroctomy for any female related problem. Maybe this is not related, but still it is interesting.

If you don't mind taking the time to find a link to the info you're refering to, then I would appreciate it. If it needs to wait, then that's fine.

Thanks to both of you for posting. Both answers are helpful.

#6 halfasleep

halfasleep

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:42 PM

I grew up in a town in MT that also sprayed mosquitos in the same manner, I suppose it was Ddt. I also worked spraying weeds later, I think DDT had just been banned and I think we used a chemical called Banval or something close to that. I think we also used Roundup. I had a lot of contact with the chemical as we didn't use any protective type clothing and often sprayed in a breeze (wind). I never thought about this as a possible trigger to narcolepsy. I developed narcolepsy about ten years after spraying weeds and attribute it to changing sleep habits/living in a dark basement/depression/social inactivity. I have often wondered about other effects from the weed killer and about birth defects/maladies in children of people that have been exposed to these chemicals. I would be interested in web sites related to this if anyone knows of any.

#7 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

If anyone knows or has any ideas, then PLEASE let us know!