• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AssociatedWithFire

AssociatedWithFire

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Bruised and battered from abuse with out a blow

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:36 AM

Im just wondering if any one else gets random shots of sharp pains in the chest. now dont everybody freak out and say go to the hospitol, I have. this is not new its just random and has been for years.

For a day or so and only every now and then I get a sharp shooting pain on the right side of my chest. the first time it happend to me i freaked out and went to he ER. aside from hi blood pressure from being freaked out i was ok.

I have tried to figure If its diet, stress or somthing but i havent been able to make any connections.

I guess Im woundering if if anyone else can relate, does any think this could be some sort of phantom pain and being in the newbie catagory in the understanding Narcolepsey and its many branches, and can any of you mature trees aout there school me a little of the other similar litte joys Narcolepsy brings us?

I dont know if Im more scared at this point are just pissed I dont know what ti is. one thing I do know is I feel somthing I dont like cause Im doing a great job of masking whatever it is with sarcasm.

#2 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (AssociatedWithFire @ Nov 28 2008, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im just wondering if any one else gets random shots of sharp pains in the chest. now dont everybody freak out and say go to the hospitol, I have. this is not new its just random and has been for years.

For a day or so and only every now and then I get a sharp shooting pain on the right side of my chest. the first time it happend to me i freaked out and went to he ER. aside from hi blood pressure from being freaked out i was ok.

I have tried to figure If its diet, stress or somthing but i havent been able to make any connections.

I guess Im woundering if if anyone else can relate, does any think this could be some sort of phantom pain and being in the newbie catagory in the understanding Narcolepsey and its many branches, and can any of you mature trees aout there school me a little of the other similar litte joys Narcolepsy brings us?

I dont know if Im more scared at this point are just pissed I dont know what ti is. one thing I do know is I feel somthing I dont like cause Im doing a great job of masking whatever it is with sarcasm.

I get sharp stabbing pains that make it hard to breathe or move until they go away. It's also common for a lot of people post-surgery (i'm a nurse, and though i don't have a lot of experience as of yet, i did my placement on a surgical floor...)
It might be this.... just gas pain. I say *just* but oh god its not *just* pain. If im stressed i get it more often (my bowels are screwed). you might not feel bloated and might ont even realize that could be it. Try something like ovol when it happens (over the counter, what it does is prevent large pockets of gas from forming in the colon, you might have little puff farts for a bit but, well thats the point LOL). some people take something like this everyday, but if it does help and you find it is gas pain you can take it just when it happens. ima t the point i can feel when its going to happen and i take it in the am those days (only every few months or a few times a year)
Try that and if it's no luck let me know smile.gif
Usually angina goes away with rest. usually a heart attack doesn't, BUT you would likely have more symptoms and they would have seen something at the hospital. unless you are way overwieght and have hypertension i doubt its either at your age.smile.gif
if it was something like gall bladder or appendix it wouldn't recurr like this, it'd be a one time shot and youd KNOW something was wrong and end up in a hospital by now (like the first time you had these pains), also the pains would likely be somewhere else smile.gif
so don't stress smile.gif (i know easier said than done)

#3 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Talk about a condition with quirks!

I know there are a few with different symptoms that we walk around with, never knowing if it's the N or not. Doesn't everyone have the weird spikey pain in their chest now and then?

Then we see on the news how we should seek medical attention right away when it happens...uh oh.

I think some of these things are easy to explain, like depression. If you have a condition like narcolepsy and spend any portion of your life with the people closest to you not quite "getting it", it bound to bum a person out in a serious way.

And bi-polar disorder (ugh...don't get me started). Bi-polar disorder was the default when the shrinks didn't know what the heck to label what was wrong with a patient. It was the new Pink for awhile. I'd gladly take a dollar for every person that was diagnosed with Manic/Depression 2.0 and handed a bottle of Zyprexa without being asked how they were sleeping. I bet I could by everyone in the community a new car with my earnings.

Restless Leg Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Raynaud's syndrome seems to be common among narcoleptics...just an observation I've made. I hate ailments with names. I prefer to think of them all as crazy stuff that happens.

#4 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

oops will repost...

#5 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

little puff farts
OMG! ROTFL!!!! All I can picture are little fluffy bunnies with big fuzzy tails. OMG!!!! I just remembered a little video I downloaded for my kids to see. Oh, there are two. Is there a place I can upload these to on this site? (I know - awful grammar, no time to edit) I received a notice that I'm not allowed to upload this type file. They are small (less than .5MB), but you've got to see them. I'll check my profile page to see if I can upload there.

if it was something like gall bladder or appendix
Gas can cause similar symptoms! One night I had such severe pain that I called the ER, and they thought that my appendix was about to give up the ghost. The pain was honestly worse than delivering my first son (not my second), and that's saying quite a bit. Luckily, enough time had passed as did the gas, and no surgery done.

I bet everyone is lovin' this.

Sorry, AssW/Fire, I didn't want to deviate from your topic, but I suppose it's in my nature.

#6 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

[attachment=68:dr_tinycat.JPG]

#7 sleepyhead84

sleepyhead84

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Reading, crafts, ferrets, friends, sleep (need that be said?), dinners, animals, nature, my bed

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hi all!
About the sharp chest pains: I'm not sure if this is what you have but I had sharp pains in my chest a lot and I went to the doctor and after a thorough check-up, she told me I had costalcondritis (sp?) or Tiestze's (sp?). It's basically inflammation between the sternum or something. She prescribed ibuprofin for 2 weeks and it went away. Once again, I'm not sure if that's what you have, but I thought I'd mention it.
Erin

#8 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWi want one

#9 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

update, how are the pains going?

#10 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (chimbakka @ Dec 2 2008, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
AAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWi want one

Is that baby just too darn cute? Hope the cute overload helped, AssW/Fire

#11 AssociatedWithFire

AssociatedWithFire

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Bruised and battered from abuse with out a blow

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

the pains are gone now. I think for me the chance that it is a gas related pain might make sense. I dont have asthma so I can rule that out, but the bound up gas seems to kind of feel like the right notion, Im not going to pretend I can diagnose my self and Im confident nothing "major" is wrong from the numerous times I have been to the doctors for other reasons. I think the association I make with the pain when giving it some consideration fits in the painful gas catagory its just in an unusuall place from your typical too many hot wings locations.

I just found myself woundering what I would be doing right now if I didnt find it neccesary to worrie about these things?

#12 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (AssociatedWithFire @ Dec 2 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the pains are gone now. I think for me the chance that it is a gas related pain might make sense. I dont have asthma so I can rule that out, but the bound up gas seems to kind of feel like the right notion, Im not going to pretend I can diagnose my self and Im confident nothing "major" is wrong from the numerous times I have been to the doctors for other reasons. I think the association I make with the pain when giving it some consideration fits in the painful gas catagory its just in an unusuall place from your typical too many hot wings locations.

I just found myself woundering what I would be doing right now if I didnt find it neccesary to worrie about these things?

LOL, that's ok. if gas pain gets severe you can feel it in your shoulders or between the ribs, or chest (like a stabbing knife). best thing to do is walk around a bit if you can, take a warm bath, eat bran flakes. also, the ovol i mentioned works great for the severe pain it breaks up the gas clumps.
also, if you are getting pain from gas, you need to assess your bm situation (sorry not to be gross), a lot of people have severe gas pain with either stress, food irritation, or constipation biggrin.gif
yes, i know my *BEEP*. tongue.gif (it's 3 am im allowed a dumb joke lol)

#13 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

Here is one video that I mention above. It's about GAS so it is not off topic.

turn on the sound.

This is the other one:

#14 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Dec 4 2008, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is one video that I mention above. It's about GAS so it is not off topic.

turn on the sound.

This is the other one:

lol oh my god that's great