I Have A New Symptom...maybe.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GP1970

GP1970

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

For the last couple of weeks I have been having a real hard time falling asleep. It's not because of insomnia or stress but rather a strange sensation in my lower legs, around my shins to be more precise. I also feel it in my forearms and shoulders.

I can't describe the feeling but I can say it is not tingling, pain, burning, numbness, crawling, anything like that. I guess it may be weakness. I am unsure how to really describe weakness. It doesn't happen just when I got to sleep, it happens when I am sitting on the couch also when watching TV. really studying when I feel it, it seems to happen when I start to relax. The best way to describe what is going on, the only way to make it stop is to actually move that muscle. If I don't the sensation gets stronger and I feel the need to have to move my legs. I only fell asleep the last two nights because I was rubbing my legs together but last night the sensation came back and woke me up around 3am and I couldn't fall back asleep.

Any of you have this or know if something like this may be associated to N?

#2 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

It sounds like the restless legs I had when I was pregnant. I'd get this intense tickling feeling in my right leg muscle and it would just get stronger and stronger until I moved my leg. Then it would go away for awhile and come back again. Sometimes I could get it to go away enough to go to sleep before it came back. It was really torture. The tickling feeling would get so intense that it would start to hurt!

#3 GP1970

GP1970

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Nov 20 2008, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds like the restless legs I had when I was pregnant. I'd get this intense tickling feeling in my right leg muscle and it would just get stronger and stronger until I moved my leg. Then it would go away for awhile and come back again. Sometimes I could get it to go away enough to go to sleep before it came back. It was really torture. The tickling feeling would get so intense that it would start to hurt!

I guess it could be considered a tickling feeling but better yet, if I was to use ticking, it would be like I am getting tickled from the inside of my legs and not the outer skin level.

#4 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:20 AM

Sounds like RLS to me also. Try taking really hot showers or bathes before going to bed to really relax the muscles in your legs. I live by that rule. It is the only way I get out of twitching and jerking through the night. And sure beats meds.

#5 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (GP1970 @ Nov 20 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the last couple of weeks I have been having a real hard time falling asleep. It's not because of insomnia or stress but rather a strange sensation in my lower legs, around my shins to be more precise. I also feel it in my forearms and shoulders.

I can't describe the feeling but I can say it is not tingling, pain, burning, numbness, crawling, anything like that. I guess it may be weakness. I am unsure how to really describe weakness. It doesn't happen just when I got to sleep, it happens when I am sitting on the couch also when watching TV. really studying when I feel it, it seems to happen when I start to relax. The best way to describe what is going on, the only way to make it stop is to actually move that muscle. If I don't the sensation gets stronger and I feel the need to have to move my legs. I only fell asleep the last two nights because I was rubbing my legs together but last night the sensation came back and woke me up around 3am and I couldn't fall back asleep.

Any of you have this or know if something like this may be associated to N?

When I am in bed relaxing my legs, arms and hands start to hurt. Its like a pounding, hot, itchy, sharp feeling coming from inside and it feels like my limbs are so heavy that they are going to fall off. I don't know if this sounds anything like what I am getting. I hate the feeling though as I can't sleep because of it.

#6 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (GP1970 @ Nov 20 2008, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I guess it could be considered a tickling feeling but better yet, if I was to use ticking, it would be like I am getting tickled from the inside of my legs and not the outer skin level.

Yes for me it was an intense tickling feeling from the middle of the muscle, not the skin. I could only make it go away by moving that muscle.

#7 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Nov 22 2008, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes for me it was an intense tickling feeling from the middle of the muscle, not the skin. I could only make it go away by moving that muscle.

Does it feel like your nerves? Its hard to explain what I get and last night in bed I was thinking about the feeling. It makes me feel on edge and anxious and also worried to what is happening to me.

#8 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Well that's understandable when you don't know what's wrong. I've certainly had my share of late-night panic attacks about various things. However it didn't accompany my rls episodes. Maybe that's because I already knew what it was by then and just found them terribly annoying.

#9 Sam.Toombs

Sam.Toombs

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:I am currently studying International Criminology at Sheffield University here in the UK and however dull that may sound i actually do enjoy it.<br /><br />I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy/Cataplexy when i was about 19 and i do appreciate the friendships across the globe that this has brought me.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:23 AM

it sounds like RLS to me as well - a lot of people with N get RLS i don't think there is a cure - a lot of people have said that xyrem has helped them but obviously that is a side effect almost because it is not licensed for that but the only other thing that is ever mentioned as being effective is iron supplements - i have tried this for my RLS and it made me vomit a lot so i just thought i would warn you.

Sam

#10 GP1970

GP1970

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

QUOTE (Sam.Toombs @ Nov 23 2008, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it sounds like RLS to me as well - a lot of people with N get RLS i don't think there is a cure - a lot of people have said that xyrem has helped them but obviously that is a side effect almost because it is not licensed for that but the only other thing that is ever mentioned as being effective is iron supplements - i have tried this for my RLS and it made me vomit a lot so i just thought i would warn you.

Sam

It's not RLS, at least according to both my sleep studies I have had the last year. It doesn't happen just when lying in bed, it happens when I am sitting on the couch as well, basically whenever my legs are in an up position. It also occurs in my arms (forearms) and a little in my shoulders.

I am thinking back to basics here:

For the better part of the last 15 years, I have had bad shin pain when I try to walk/run, like shin splints. The pain increases with with the pace of the walk, not the distance. I can also feel that pain when at rest if I point my feet upward. That pain is in the same area as the sensation. Secondly, something that also started within the last few months, I also get a vibration feeling in my left foot. It is now almost always there and is intermitten every few seconds. It is weak, no pain involved, just feels like my that part of my foot is cell phone on vibrate and is getting a call. I have also observed this in my left hand and forarm, and my waist at times. I have reached for my cell thinking I am getting a call, LOL, but it's mostly in the left leg.

I am zeroing in on two basic thoughts here. Lower spinal problem and/or possibly poor shoes or arch support.

This are things I can try but I am scheduling n appointment with my Dr. I do not feel this has anything to do with N. The only changes I can think before this happened is I went on Provigil. I did wean myself off Zoloft over the last few months but if this was a withdrawal symptom, it's seriously delayed.

Oh yea, I should mention I have also been having martial numbness in my left cheek, feels like I am coming off novicaine from a cavity drill. It's not a stroke, been checked but the fact that all this is happeneing mostly on the left side is bothersome. My MRI didn't indicate anything either. I think I may need to take it for a second opinion.

#11 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (GP1970 @ Nov 23 2008, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not RLS, at least according to both my sleep studies I have had the last year. It doesn't happen just when lying in bed, it happens when I am sitting on the couch as well, basically whenever my legs are in an up position. It also occurs in my arms (forearms) and a little in my shoulders.

I am thinking back to basics here:

For the better part of the last 15 years, I have had bad shin pain when I try to walk/run, like shin splints. The pain increases with with the pace of the walk, not the distance. I can also feel that pain when at rest if I point my feet upward. That pain is in the same area as the sensation. Secondly, something that also started within the last few months, I also get a vibration feeling in my left foot. It is now almost always there and is intermitten every few seconds. It is weak, no pain involved, just feels like my that part of my foot is cell phone on vibrate and is getting a call. I have also observed this in my left hand and forarm, and my waist at times. I have reached for my cell thinking I am getting a call, LOL, but it's mostly in the left leg.

I am zeroing in on two basic thoughts here. Lower spinal problem and/or possibly poor shoes or arch support.

This are things I can try but I am scheduling n appointment with my Dr. I do not feel this has anything to do with N. The only changes I can think before this happened is I went on Provigil. I did wean myself off Zoloft over the last few months but if this was a withdrawal symptom, it's seriously delayed.

Oh yea, I should mention I have also been having martial numbness in my left cheek, feels like I am coming off novicaine from a cavity drill. It's not a stroke, been checked but the fact that all this is happeneing mostly on the left side is bothersome. My MRI didn't indicate anything either. I think I may need to take it for a second opinion.

I remember reading a post on here somewhere about provigil causing numbness... anyone else remember that?
also, how long after starting the provigil did this start? I find if i take too much i get this same sort of feeling, i had to figure out a dose that helps... also opening the window (its winter here) and letting the freezing air in seemed to help. if i get hot at night i don't sleep a wink.

#12 GP1970

GP1970

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE (chimbakka @ Nov 24 2008, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember reading a post on here somewhere about provigil causing numbness... anyone else remember that?
also, how long after starting the provigil did this start? I find if i take too much i get this same sort of feeling, i had to figure out a dose that helps... also opening the window (its winter here) and letting the freezing air in seemed to help. if i get hot at night i don't sleep a wink.

It did start after I started Provigil regulary. 200 mg is my dosage.

#13 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

I was thinking more about this, and I do remember something about N. meds/numbness. Also, aside from the hot thing, I have had a significantly decreased appetite, and have lost about 8- 10lbs over the last month or six weeks. i get sort of a wierd crampy/heavy feeling in my body when i lose weight fast, especially when im sleeping (i only know this cuz my first year of college I was very broke and lost a lot of weight from eating just corn flakes for a month). Not sure if that helps at all...