Dextroamphetamines = Neurotic?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

Do y'all think dextroamphetamines can make you neurotic? It almost seems to be a no brainer, but on the other hand, I'm usually wrong with many an assumption.

It is so unnatural to take something to sleep with and something to wake with.

#2 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Nov 18 2008, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do y'all think dextroamphetamines can make you neurotic? It almost seems to be a no brainer, but on the other hand, I'm usually wrong with many an assumption.

It is so unnatural to take something to sleep with and something to wake with.

I was told not to take large amounts over a long period of time as it can cause pychosis. I was told that some people have been taking up to 90mgs and ended up in a hospital ward. The side effects stated are a long list and behaviour changes, anxious, anger, abnormal thinking, paronia, depression etc. These will make you neurotic.

#3 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

Taking Ritalin made me crazy, even though it's probably not the same thing. I almost jumped out of a car on the freeway because I had so much anxiety. I quit cold turkey after that. Yikes.

#4 mtc

mtc

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

Maybe that's my problem..too much dextrastat LOL!! I have tried EVERYTHING, but I've been on dextrastat for about 5 years.. my neurologist only lets me take 3, 5mg does a day. Sometimes it wakes me up for about two hours, sometimes I fall asleep anyway. I do have heart palpations occasionally, but it's either that or don't function

#5 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

Yep. laugh.gif that's my 3yo helping me type.

wink.gif

that's gota be part of the dry.gif mellow.gif c laugh.gif raziness that ging on laugh.gif in my head. I mean the pills not the kid.

laugh.gif he's laughing so hard I don't have the heart to stop him.

#6 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:02 AM

Just got the rats to bed. OMG. They really do make life SO much better. If it wasn't for them I'd lose my mind, but also if it wasn't for them I wouldn't really care about being in bed so much and losing my brain to it. I don't know if that came across negatively about them or not, but it is not supposed to be. They and my husband are literally my life.

The youngest just turned 3. He, again as every night, went to bed in his brother's discarded size 8... just got back the second time since I started this post (Mama, I heard a noise)... black Spiderman costume with muscles sewn in and the arms and legs are rolled up. The same routine every night.... Mama, take off my suit... Not again... I should give up for the night...

*fake coughs*... Mama I just told you, uh, uh, *fake coughs*, uh, uh, I, uh, have coughs *more fake coughs* The "uh, uh, uh," is the 3 yo trying to come up with something, and man, is he smart. They both are.

Can they ever just go to bed without the 10 interruptions per night?

Where were we...

Oh, meds and insanity. I think it's actually the kids and not the meds.

I think it's obvious that I've been feeling a bit crazy lately. I still feel badly. I've got another appt tomorrow for blood work because I still have a low grade fever. I think it's now more than 2 months. I don't even remember right now. My arm is finally starting to hurt. I have multiple layers of stitches inside my arm. The stitches on the outside were removed last week and the cloth ones were substituted, but yesterday my littlest threw such a fit that I wasn't thinking and picked him up putting weight on that arm and something happened deep inside. It feels torn. I'm in a stream of consciousness mode right now. You there Mike M? See, I can remember what my English teacher taught me. Your work is not for naught. You'll make a lasting language impression on many.

No wonder I spend so much time in bed. fever. Narcolepsy. insomnia. asthma related to physical exertion. something else I posted tonight that's brought about by physical exertion. I cna't even keep up with what's going on. and the meds. I've been taking these stimulants for quite a few years and nothing else works, so I've gotta stick with it. Maybe once I'm through with the fever thing I'll feel better and not be in bed as much. Maybe it's not the meds. I have to admit that whining here helps. Even if noone is reading, it doesn't matter. Expressing this seems to be what I really need to calm myself again. I think that I'm just afraid because my parents both had such awful illnesses, and they at first were attributed to things such as flu, low potassium, depression, etc, just never wanting to do anything (or wanting to, but not being able to because too tired), and that's always in my mind. After seeing my now 10 year old losing both my parents (he was so very very close to them) and my grandmother (he was close), and especially the truly awful experiences that he had with my mother, makes me terrified that he'll lose me and he'll lose his mind. He was 8 when my mama died and he said he hated being alive and wanted to die. Several times. He was alone with her when I took a shower. It was the first time that she became incontinent. He came running in the bathroom and said that she had fallen down and he couldn't get her up. He was crying and the terror in his eyes still haunt me. I went in and it was the first time that she couldn't help pick herself up. Home health nurse came and the 2 of us couldn't ge t ther up. I just kept telling Keith to go watch Cody and he felt helpless. When the doctor told me I had melanoma all I could think about was what was Keith going to do. It would be bad for my husband and for the youngest, but my husband would cope and the youngest doesn't have the experience of losing everyone that he holds dear like the oldest does. Keith just wouldn't see the point of life anymore. It breaks my heart. I can't let anythign happen to him. I guess I'm really freaked out about why this fever won't go away. I think this is all what my problem is and not the meds. I guess I'll see. I'm sure no one is reading this. I have to post anyway. I think this posting has done more good than anything else I've done in a long time. There's so much that happened when my mother was sick and died.

#7 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:42 AM

Of course we're reading! Remember the View New Posts button? smile.gif

I'm so sorry things haven't been going well for you. We've had our share of it here too, although it's all been financial. I can't see my doctor this week because I can't afford the $20. Silly but it's life. It's just that its her last month at the clinic and I really liked her. I'm going to have to see someone different when I go back next month when we can afford it. Thank goodness my meds only cost me $5/month or I'd be really screwed. ( I just take thyroid and some L-Tyrosine supplements now )

I had a recent breast cancer scare recently too but it was thankfully nothing at all. I know what its like to have those thoughts, but try to focus on the present and what your kids have now. We can't see the future.

Just hang in there. I'm a parent too and I know the hardship of 10 million interruptions per night trying to get them to go to sleep! Mine usually cuddles with me in bed until I fall asleep, then sneaks out of bed to spend time with his father in the living room. Deceptive sneak! Taking advantage of his poor old N mother. I swear.

#8 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:52 AM

I've already posted somewhere tonight that I'm so tired and starting a sleep drunk yet here I am. I'm really sorry about the $ situation. I've been in some tight spots and I know it's really tough when it comes to medical issues. I think that I just started typing and felt like I was in my own world and that I was typing more in a journal. My comment about noone reading was the moment that I realized that many people could be reading it and I realized how exposed and raw I am. But I really needed to say it at the time. I'll probably do it again, and I hope that you feel that you can get your stuff out, too. I honestly feel so much better now. That post really provided an epiphany. Mike M, if you're there, I'm thinking of my old English prof asking if I needed to use the words "really" and "very" so much. Maybe it's not the meds after all. I didn't realize that so thoroughly until I made that post either.

It's tough finding a doctor that you can sync with. I've lost a couple that I really liked also, so I know that it's a disappointment. It may take time, but you'll find someone again, but I now that it takes time and money. Keep us up to date.

#9 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

I had a recent breast cancer scare recently too but it was thankfully nothing at all.

I know what its like to have those thoughts, but try to focus on the present and what your kids have now. We can't see the future.
I needed that wisdom.

I'm a parent too and I know the hardship of 10 million interruptions per night trying to get them to go to sleep!
They actually had me laughing hard - internally.

Mine usually cuddles with me in bed until I fall asleep,
The littlest brat has never slept one night with me. I want to cuddle SOOOOO badly, but he will stay awake all night if anyone is with him. Literally.

then sneaks out of bed to spend time with his father in the living room. Deceptive sneak! Taking advantage of his poor old N mother. I swear.
You're hilarious.

Let's see if I make it to bed now.