Alien +/- Predator Fans?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

Anyone able to help in finding 2005 release of 25th anniversary Alien Quadrilogy? This set came in alien head shaped box. I've found two on eBay and Amazon. eBay's was out of the country, which I'm uncomfortable buying out of the US, and Amazon's marketplace seller was overpriced.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, any Dark Horse comic fans? I have a few in each of the above mentioned series that I'm looking for, especially Batman vs. Predator. These are online, but I'd like to find a complete set.

#2 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:25 PM

I've read Watchmen and Ghost in the Shell. That one was my favorite. I don't know a ton about comics but I do enjoy them and my boyfriend has quite a few. He's been reading Marvel since the 60's. Sorry I can't help you find what you're looking for, but I'm happy to chat about comics & manga anytime.

#3 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:42 AM

I just received a Huge batch of dark horse comix: various aliens series, predator, and though not ordered, terminator. I bought these for my 10 yo. needless tosay, they aren't written for 10 yo's. They were late coming for his bday, so I didn't look them over first. hooly cow. Talk about lax parenting. I've taken most away.

I do enjoy some comix though. but right now I really don't have the time to discuss this other than trying to find stuff for the kid. We allowed him to watch Aliens and Aliens 3 and AVP with the TV Guardian on, so now he is insane about it. No more dark horse for him though, but maybe for me later. I get on collector binges, which I think is related to some OCD. I'm getting off topic.

Thanks for your reply, and I'll keep it in mind for down the road when I feel a bit more energetic.

#4 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:28 AM

I loved the second film - never saw the first!

I think what helped me really liking the film was the fact that I thought it was going to be incredibly rubbish.

They were selling the DVD for little money - like $5 - and I thought ah what the heck, i know this is going to be embarrassingly bad so might as well enjoy the "badness"

Then was surprised,

The fighting scenes were amazing. And when you have such low expectations and the film surprises you - you end up kinda happy.

I wonder if the first film is as good as the second. Cos if it is - I will definitely buy it.

#5 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:54 AM

Which series?

aliens, predator, or aliens vs. predator?

#6 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Mar 20 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which series?

aliens, predator, or aliens vs. predator?

Alien vs Predator #2

#7 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:09 PM

EXCELLENT movie. If you liked it, then you should also enjoy AVP. It is the sole predator in AVPR that my 10 year old told me was my boyfriend. Only a 10 year old, right?

Did you see the original Predator with Arnold Schwartznegger? I saw it when it first came out, and considering sci fi effects technology of that time period, I loved it. Not nearly as much as Terminator. With the technology that we now have, though, WOW is about all I can say for a lot of current movies of this genre. BTW, did you see the original Terminator and Terminator II; Judgement Day? I was not a big fan of the third of the series. Most of my favorite sci fi movies involve fighting; I don't know why, but I love those scenes.

I love some of the original comic book characters, also. I did end up getting the complete Batman vs. Predator comic book series along with some special editions. As the typical American goes, Superman is my ALL TIME favorite. I think because I want to find goodness in others and a will to fight for what is right. Let's please not turn this into politics. When the very first color movie production of Superman (with C. Reeves) came to the movie theaters, My father took me and a friend of mine to see it. IT WAS THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE - and there have only been two like this - that EVERYONE in the theater were STANDING cheering, YELLING, supporting Superman in everything that he did. It was as though he were real, and we were all there toghether actually watching the action. Everyone booed the bad guy. Everyone was shouting " NO!!" "Wait, superman!" etc. It was a patriotic experience, one of very few, that united the entire audience without having some horrible thing to bond us together (like 9/11). What an impressionable experience. My adrenaline is running now. It was that great.

My second fav is Spiderman. Another do-good guy. His acrobatic feats get me yelling and jumping out of my seat, cheering him on. I love to boo the bad guy, and it's great having young kids to share this with. But I am also the person that would go to a movie and yell out, "NO! don't go in there!" "She's lying!" I'll scream and jump in my seat. I get so lost in movies and books. My daddy used to take me to movies all the time, maybe too much. Ratings did n't matter, and I wish that they would have because I saw too much at a very young age. My father loved film and made a couple of movies, and I now realize that I am WAY off subject. Sorry.

Definitely get AVP if you enjoyed AVPR. I'm sure that my son would LOVE to tell you all about it, and he does know quite a bit. I probably should not have let him watch it, but he loves it. This past xmas he received a complete WalMart set of Alien movies and Predator movies. He cannot watch all of them completely through. I also found complete sets of trading cards for him on eBay. and comics- which were more for me because they are definitely too graphic. I almost bought the Tarzan vs. Predator series. I did get a specail first ed. Superman and Batman vs. Alien and Predator. I am such a dork. If you do like this series, then the novel "Aliens vs. Predator: Prey" is a good book (considering what it's about). The others of this series are not as good. They are not consistent. One other book that I want to get is "South China Sea" because it is supposedly the best written of all the Predator books. That's it on this subject for now. I am a Predator nerd.

Oh, AVP shows a bit more bonding between human and predator than AVPR, as does the book "Prey." If you don't think that you'll like this, then don't watch/read them.

#8 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:10 AM

There was a second A v P movie? Ha! Totally missed that one. I had all I could do to get through the first, but I was never allowed to watch those movies when I was younger so I wasn't in on it to begin with. Oh well.