Narcolepsy And Anger

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:58 PM

Hello my fellow sleepy heads. My name is Michael and I was diagnosed with narcolepsy without cataplexy 3 years ago. I can somewhat minimize the attacks by taking a daily nap. My question to all of you is, do you get extremely angry or moody when you are having an attack? If I do not take a nap, usually between noon and 3pm, I get uncontrollably moody. I deeply regret my attitude afterward and I am always having to apologize afterward.

I do not think it has to do with being angry about having narcolepsy. I thought I have finally accepted it. When I get really tired, I feel my face and jaw get really relaxed and my fiance' said my face gets somewhat saggy. I then begin having difficulty moving my mouth properly when conversing. If I fight the attack, it eventually goes away. The problem though is, I get a short wick and get angry and frustrated easily. Thank you in advance for your replies. Michael rolleyes.gif

#2 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

That sounds similar to how my days can go too. I don't get upset too much, but if I didn't take a nap or if I am sleepier than usual then I do get moody/stressed out much easier. I actually had that happen earlier today lol. The situation normally would not have bothered me, but I didn't sleep well last night. I also noticed that if I'm stressed out my N symptoms seem to get much worse.

I suppose if a normal person smile.gif is exhausted then they would also be more likely to be moody... so I think it makes sense that we would be too.

#3 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:33 PM

I definately am more irritable when I'm tired/having an attack. I also get the saggy face thing and talk like i'm drunk. usually my fiance just says "you don't make sense go to sleep" haha. or if im grumpy he waves chocolate in my face and says "eat this then go to sleep" lol. at least he has me figured out

#4 mtc

mtc

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:57 AM

When I need to fall asleep I definitely get moody. I also start to feel a bit depressed. If I try to stay awake I start to have trouble breathing. I feel like I am not getting enough Oxygen. It all goes away after I sleep. I, too, start to sound like I am drunk and I can't remember simple words. it's embarassing!!

#5 malachi777

malachi777

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

Thank you all for your reply. I guess the loss of words, memory, depressed moods and saggy face are all a part of having narcolepsy. My energy levels today are uncontrollably high so I think I will go..........................................................................to sleep now. Michael biggrin.gif

#6 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:16 AM

I can't get Angry fall asleep at the same time.

Anger can be at times my friend, it keeps me awake.

When I get a sleep-attack; I may experience other sorts of emotions: vulnerability, sadness and inner frustration but not quite anger.

I don't get irritable or grumpy either - although other perceive I am (as I give short reply "yes", "no")

The only thing that really gets me moody / irritate is noise.

I can't stand when I have to rest, and there is some background noise. I always sleep with ear-plugs.

Lastly, if I do fall asleep and am woken up in the first 30 minutes. Then I get really uncontrollably furious. I shake, even thinking about it I feel sick.

If I am woken up - like after 1 hour or more - then it's OK - I don't wake up extremely angry / altered.

#7 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (Henry G @ Nov 12 2008, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lastly, if I do fall asleep and am woken up in the first 30 minutes. Then I get really uncontrollably furious. I shake, even thinking about it I feel sick.

If I am woken up - like after 1 hour or more - then it's OK - I don't wake up extremely angry / altered.

Interesting...

I used to be insanely mean to my mom when I was younger when she'd wake me up. I felt terrible about it always, but I would be so confused that I would get really upset. I don't get angry anymore when I am woken up though. Although it is very difficult to wake me up anyways, so maybe that's part of it. lol

#8 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (Lais02 @ Nov 14 2008, 01:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting...

I used to be insanely mean to my mom when I was younger when she'd wake me up. I felt terrible about it always, but I would be so confused that I would get really upset. I don't get angry anymore when I am woken up though. Although it is very difficult to wake me up anyways, so maybe that's part of it. lol

Interesting. It is actually VERY easy to wake me up... which is why I am so moody I suppose. If you make the slightest noise chances are I am pissed about it. I am pretty mad at my neighbors all the time. How dare they have lives and cars and drive them and start them up and open and close doors.
They have alot of nerve speaking at all! ARGH! Oh my god and the mail man. MUST he insist on bringing me mail? seriuosly. that little metalic plopl my box makes wakes me up every time. Right at nap time too. Freaking government...

#9 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for making this thread. I thought I was the only sleepy mean person. The way I treated my mother was horrible. She used to become so exasperated with me, but all she would say is "go take a nap." Funny, I didn't have a clue about the N, but she figured out how to handle it when I was young. I am still bad about it and can get so stressed so easily when tired (which occurs rather often, haha), although I have gotten better about it with age. The stimulants do NOT help the situation either, which I'm sure many of you are aware of this side affect. Oh, I'm not mean when woken anymore, but that's because of age, I think, and perhaps getting treatment for N has helped as I've not said nasty things to my husband in the AM since starting meds.

I also get that drunk feeling described by someone else. I can't find words and get easily confused. I'm a complete idiot, and yes, it is embarrassing.

Thanks again for this thread. It truly is good to know that someone else does this as I've always just thought of myself as a bad person because I did feel as though I was the only person that did this. It just did not seem to occur in other people, except my father a bit. I assumed it was learned behavior and have been upset with myself for not completely controlling it as I've aged. I think that I've mellowed with age only because it expends too much energy otherwise; that and things just don't seem to matter anymore, even when I'm experiencing any symptoms. With C, I just can't interact with anyone afterwards because I feel like every drop of life energy has been drained.

#10 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:56 PM

Yes, yes, yes...

Irritable to say the least.
Back in the day (I have no idea what that means) my former roommate used to say to me that she could tell I was about to "fall on my face" b/c my face would begin to sag, and i could feel it drooping; to even utter a single thought was such an effort that I would just stop talking altogether and if I do try and talk, like everyone else, I talk like a drunken sailor (okay, I'm really not sure what that means). So, now I've come to call my emergency-- this could end in a collapse--fatigue, "falling on my face exhausted", as opposed to, I can get through this tired.

However, by the time I reach the truly pissy stage, where every breath is an effort and it takes all that I have to even stay standing, I cannot even nap properly b/c I go straight into REM, yet I am totally aware that I am napping, so although it does momentarily help my physical exhaustion for a couple of hours, my mind is for the most part, in a perpetual state of exhaustion. What I wouldn't give to be "out like a light" whatever that means. I dunno, but it sounds mighty good.

By the way, does anyone find that going into places with a lot of stimuli (grocery markets, shopping centers, university etc) cause a flare in your symptoms. I can't tell you how many times I've had to leave the grocery store so that I might take a quick nap in the car before I attempt to finish up my shopping list. Standing in lines is extraordinarily difficult as well. Just wondering.

be well everyone,
jenji

#11 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (jenji @ Nov 20 2008, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, yes, yes...

Irritable to say the least.
Back in the day (I have no idea what that means) my former roommate used to say to me that she could tell I was about to "fall on my face" b/c my face would begin to sag, and i could feel it drooping; to even utter a single thought was such an effort that I would just stop talking altogether and if I do try and talk, like everyone else, I talk like a drunken sailor (okay, I'm really not sure what that means). So, now I've come to call my emergency-- this could end in a collapse--fatigue, "falling on my face exhausted", as opposed to, I can get through this tired.

However, by the time I reach the truly pissy stage, where every breath is an effort and it takes all that I have to even stay standing, I cannot even nap properly b/c I go straight into REM, yet I am totally aware that I am napping, so although it does momentarily help my physical exhaustion for a couple of hours, my mind is for the most part, in a perpetual state of exhaustion. What I wouldn't give to be "out like a light" whatever that means. I dunno, but it sounds mighty good.

By the way, does anyone find that going into places with a lot of stimuli (grocery markets, shopping centers, university etc) cause a flare in your symptoms. I can't tell you how many times I've had to leave the grocery store so that I might take a quick nap in the car before I attempt to finish up my shopping list. Standing in lines is extraordinarily difficult as well. Just wondering.

be well everyone,
jenji

if i'm not feeling as close to "normal" as I get when going into stores I get really anxious and it sets me off. I used to get anxiety as a teen at high school, and was diagnosed with "situational anxiety" but I"m realizing now it's that I can't deal with all the stimulus. If I get bad I just hold the side of the cart and let my fiance lead mea round lol. and i let him know so he doesn't lose me. if he goes aroudn the corner chances are i'll be wandering around like a zombie or just standing staring off LOL. it's kindo f nice having a diagnosis now at least he understands and i feel a little less embarrassed around him (and i've come to not care about everyone else... most of the people you see in walmart have bigger "issues" than I do LOL - ok i know that sounds mean but it's what helps me not care). I'm also not allowed to push shopping carts anymore... bad idea.

#12 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

Just like an infant, I cannot handle being overstimulated. I can't think straight. I get into a foul mood, even with my kids, the poor babes. I do try to explain to them what's happening with me and that it's not them. I tell them I love them so very much and that I'll be better once I can rest. Seeing my children stressed is the biggest stress of all, and I always try my best to keep that in mind. Then again, my oldest is smart enough to TRY to use it as leverage, which really does not sit well with me. I also grip the bar on the cart in - you guessed it - Wally World. Then there are the times that I just go into a daze. My head literally starts hurting if it gets bad enough.

#13 loki

loki

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I try really hard not to take it out on anyone else because at this point I know it's just me, but sometimes I do get pretty moody. I think I would be much happier living alone out in the middle of nowhere. Although locusts are everywhere. I hate those noisy buggers. If I could kill them all I would. I can even hear them thru earplugs. And airplanes. Is there anywhere on the planet that doesn't have some airplane buzzing overhead!? I swear the entire world just needs to STOP so I can have my nap! rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Nov 13 2008, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting. It is actually VERY easy to wake me up... which is why I am so moody I suppose. If you make the slightest noise chances are I am pissed about it. I am pretty mad at my neighbors all the time. How dare they have lives and cars and drive them and start them up and open and close doors.
They have alot of nerve speaking at all! ARGH! Oh my god and the mail man. MUST he insist on bringing me mail? seriuosly. that little metalic plopl my box makes wakes me up every time. Right at nap time too. Freaking government...

#14 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE (loki @ Jan 8 2009, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I try really hard not to take it out on anyone else because at this point I know it's just me, but sometimes I do get pretty moody. I think I would be much happier living alone out in the middle of nowhere. Although locusts are everywhere. I hate those noisy buggers. If I could kill them all I would. I can even hear them thru earplugs. And airplanes. Is there anywhere on the planet that doesn't have some airplane buzzing overhead!? I swear the entire world just needs to STOP so I can have my nap! rolleyes.gif

oh man you are telling me! It has actually gotten worse. I have a new neighbor who is CLEARLY dealing drugs and any given hour of the day or night I got one of his clients pulling in bass thumping or maybe the will be fighting about money in the front yard. no kidding it is like 2 am right now and there have been three people here in the last hour and a half. mind you we just got 8 inches of snow.wtf? GRRRRRR. I hate that I share a drive way with this crack head. So yeah.... I'm tired. and I am VERY ANGRY!!!!!! this used to be an awesome neighbor hood. angry.gif

#15 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (loki @ Jan 7 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I try really hard not to take it out on anyone else because at this point I know it's just me, but sometimes I do get pretty moody. I think I would be much happier living alone out in the middle of nowhere. Although locusts are everywhere. I hate those noisy buggers. If I could kill them all I would. I can even hear them thru earplugs. And airplanes. Is there anywhere on the planet that doesn't have some airplane buzzing overhead!? I swear the entire world just needs to STOP so I can have my nap! Posted Image

Good Lord, I cannot even begin to tell you how often I fantasize about letting my neighbors have it for being so utterly loud and insensitive to those around them. They have this automatic alarm system that sets off like a siren each and every time they leave or enter their house and it echoes out from beneath their carport straight into my bedroom window; this Acme alarm system also has an added feature: a fake dog barks incessantly for about 2-3 minutes after the alarm has been set (they leave) or if anything, say a rodent or the mailman etc crosses the path of the surveillance beam. I'm telling you, it makes me see red!

Or the neighbor whose dog barks non-stop in the early morning hours b/c she simply refuses to let the poor thing in when he wants in. In the summer you'll hear her repeatedly bark back at him from inside her house: Riley, knock it off! for about an hour straight. Or better yet, the beagle that lives behind me known as Butters or who I've come to call f*c*in' Butters. Beagle: Self-explanatory, yes?

Don't get me started on the big-booted mailman or the peeps in the neighborhood who insist on letting their hotrods idle in the street with the incessant doom-thump bass blaring out of their stereo systems for no apparent reason other than to show off just how cool they are. Summertime is always a most unrestful time around casa de jenji. I once fantasized that I would charge outside in my jammies, crazy, sleep-deprived, defiant and disheveled and throw a brick straight through the windshield of this particular wiseguy with the pimped out Impala. He's at least 6 ft, but I'm pretty sure I could take him in that state, whether I'm a 5' 5" woman or not. I've often said to friends and family that I truly believe one could use narcolepsy as a proper defense in assault and battery and/or homicide. There is a reason people have been known to use sleep deprivation as a source of torture: because it works and makes an individual entirely desperate and out of sorts; apt to perform acts one might never resort to during normal circumstances.

Narcolepsy. It just makes you see red at ten times the rate of a rested individual.

jenji

#16 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

oh man... seriously. That is a really good point...

::click click in the background::

someone call my lawyer....

LOL!!!

#17 eightlegs

eightlegs

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

It was my anger that tipped me off to something not being right with me. After my 3rd child was born I turned into a tyrant! I would yell and scream at my kids, my husband, for the littlest thing. Since I just had a baby, everyone assumed it was postpartum depression... so after a year of heavy duty psych meds that didn't work we figure out it wasn't. blink.gif I still get pretty "snappy" if it's been a rough day. Just last night my hubby made some comment about me getting to bed so I "wouldn't be all grouchy and grumpy" today as I apparently was yesterday. huh.gif

#18 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 11:47 AM

This all makes me wonder how much of my being "mean" in the past was due to N, or just not getting any GOOD sleep ever. When I was younger I was just terrible to my family, and at the same time I had no idea why I was treating them that way. I felt awful for being so mean. Maybe I was just so irritable because I was so tired.

#19 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

Lais, I echo that. My family talks about what a horrendous teenager I was. And I admit it, I was so irritable I would've gotten a gold medal at the irritable Olympics. But I also slept all the time. In fact, I have a picture of me at 16, lying in bed on my front holding a body-pillow to my back with my legs and arms. I'm asleep. Or as asleep as I could be considering it was taken while my mother was attempting to wake me up in the morning. She had stripped the entire bed of sheets and blankets and had begun sprinkling me with water. Mornings were a constant yell of "Erinn, I KNOW you're awake!" and I remember thinking, "just five more minutes of sleep and then I can murder her." LOL

And the funny thing is my parents question me about when I think the N started. I tell them I don't know, I've always slept excessively. And their response? "Oh but all teenagers do". LOL

#20 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (eww @ Jan 30 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lais, I echo that. My family talks about what a horrendous teenager I was. And I admit it, I was so irritable I would've gotten a gold medal at the irritable Olympics. But I also slept all the time. In fact, I have a picture of me at 16, lying in bed on my front holding a body-pillow to my back with my legs and arms. I'm asleep. Or as asleep as I could be considering it was taken while my mother was attempting to wake me up in the morning. She had stripped the entire bed of sheets and blankets and had begun sprinkling me with water. Mornings were a constant yell of "Erinn, I KNOW you're awake!" and I remember thinking, "just five more minutes of sleep and then I can murder her." LOL

And the funny thing is my parents question me about when I think the N started. I tell them I don't know, I've always slept excessively. And their response? "Oh but all teenagers do". LOL

Water! I don't think my mom ever tried that, but I know she threatened it! I feel bad she had to deal with the impossible task of getting me up for school for so many years. And my sister too... also with N. Poor mom! She deserves a gold medal for somehow living through 2 daughters who deserved that same gold medal in the irritable Olympics. smile.gif