zefalder

When N Lingo Meets Gaming Lingo

3 posts in this topic

Hey all, as an avid gamer, I thought I'd share an interesting little bit of trivia that might tickle your funny bone. All of us here know that PWN stands for People With Narcolepsy. But in the gaming world, "pwn" (often pronounced like 'own' with a 'p' at the beginning -- "pone" -- but can also be read "own") means to win in a manner that completely creams the other guy.

Here's some etymology for you:

woot (often spelled w00t): an acronym for "we own the other team!" first exclaimed by a winning team in a player vs. player battle, but now used as an interjection like "hooray" or "yippee". "w00t!"

pwn (verb): a misspelled version of the "own" from "w00t", most likely a typo due to the proximity of 'o' and 'p', made by players typing very fast. In a gaming situation, it often refers to a very good player or a player that dominates a competition ("He totally pwns", "I got pwned" and "That was totaly pwnage" as in anhialation.)

So now you can tell people that PWN totally pwn, and if they have the correct cultural reference, they'll think you're totally awesome! ;) Unless you say PWN totally pwn the road! :unsure:

I won't hazard a guess as to what other people might think it means. :huh:

I can has nap now? :blink:

Hey all, as an avid gamer, I thought I'd share an interesting little bit of trivia that might tickle your funny bone. All of us here know that PWN stands for People With Narcolepsy. But in the gaming world, "pwn" (often pronounced like 'own' with a 'p' at the beginning -- "pone" -- but can also be read "own") means to win in a manner that completely creams the other guy.

Here's some etymology for you:

woot (often spelled w00t): an acronym for "we own the other team!" first exclaimed by a winning team in a player vs. player battle, but now used as an interjection like "hooray" or "yippee". "w00t!"

pwn (verb): a misspelled version of the "own" from "w00t", most likely a typo due to the proximity of 'o' and 'p', made by players typing very fast. In a gaming situation, it often refers to a very good player or a player that dominates a competition ("He totally pwns", "I got pwned" and "That was totaly pwnage" as in anhialation.)

So now you can tell people that PWN totally pwn, and if they have the correct cultural reference, they'll think you're totally awesome! ;) Unless you say PWN totally pwn the road! :unsure:

I won't hazard a guess as to what other people might think it means. :huh:

I can has nap now? :blink:

LoL When I first started reading on here I was very confused... of course I know what pwn means! I am a gamer too lol... I figured it out quickly, but I always wondered if others thought the same thing. :)

w00t! Gamers unite! I'm 32 and I find it difficult to get my peers to relate to my gaming habits, so I had to assume no one else here plays mmorpg's. I hope I got the definitions right! :rolleyes:

Mad King is coming! Mad King is coming! :lol: