Photo

Questions About Job Accomodations

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 caroline

caroline

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:I just found this site today, and am very thankful that I did. Today, I have been feeling overwhelmed by this disease; so, it is good to know that I am not alone. All my life, I have been easily tired and needed more sleep than most people, but I just thought it was my metabolism or that I was just lazy. I am 59 years old, and only got my diagnosis of narcolepsy less than a year ago. I can remember complaining of feeling tired all the time, but the doctors usually recomended a healthier life style ie lose weight. I did, then found it was the eating all the time that had kept me awake to drive, to work,even to read a book.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

In August my doctor sent in a request for some accomodations with my job. I am an RN that works for my state in DMRS-which is all about helping folks manage disabilities.
I was told to also write a letter to the director of our region stating my needs. I requested to work from home two-three days per week; this would be easy to do. I explained that
my problems are mostly to do with driving, and from my home to my office is one hour. By working from home, I could visit the agencies that I work with-two of which
is only 30 miles from my home and not a problem for me to get too. My husband is retired and would drive me to the other agencies that are further away.
Also, my driving is fine the first of the week it is toward the end when I am really tired that I have any problems. Well, he never responded! I am actually doing this, and
my boss knows that I am, but in a time when all one hears is about possible lay offs; I want to have it in writing. My boss is very supportive, and I know that my work is
good and always on time, but as a long time employee I think that I have a right to this request. Anyone else had this problem? I have disability insurance and probably
six months of leave time, but I love my job; I just need a little help.