Third Eye Blind - Narcolepsy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mtc

mtc

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:03 AM

Does anyone know if Third Eye Blinds song, "Narcolepsy" was written for someone they know or what was behind it. It sounds like it is written by someone with N

#2 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (mtc @ Oct 20 2008, 06:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know if Third Eye Blinds song, "Narcolepsy" was written for someone they know or what was behind it. It sounds like it is written by someone with N

This is what Kevin Cadogan (the Guitarist) Had to say about this song during an interview ....

Excellent question!!!!!

"Narcolepsy' comes from some weird, bizarre sleep-crazed things that were happening to me a couple of years ago. It was actually kind of funny. I was waking up but not really waking up, and I was stuck in this paralyzed state, and I was sort of drowning, I felt like I was dying really. So this happened twice in a month's period. So I'm sitting there and I'm freaking out. I'm calling sleep disorder clinics. I didn't know whether I had a tumor on my brain, and I'm watching Dr. Dean Edell and some guy actually called up with the same thing. He was having post-sleep paralysis or something. It has to do with your mind, sometimes it wakes up before your body...He said, this could be a symptom of narcolepsy. You should get it checked out. I don't have narcolepsy, but I was just trying to describe this to Steve and playing this guitar lick that came to me after this nightmare, and this song just kind of came out of that experience." - Kevin Cadogan

#3 mtc

mtc

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Oct 20 2008, 12:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what Kevin Cadogan (the Guitarist) Had to say about this song during an interview ....

Excellent question!!!!!

"Narcolepsy' comes from some weird, bizarre sleep-crazed things that were happening to me a couple of years ago. It was actually kind of funny. I was waking up but not really waking up, and I was stuck in this paralyzed state, and I was sort of drowning, I felt like I was dying really. So this happened twice in a month's period. So I'm sitting there and I'm freaking out. I'm calling sleep disorder clinics. I didn't know whether I had a tumor on my brain, and I'm watching Dr. Dean Edell and some guy actually called up with the same thing. He was having post-sleep paralysis or something. It has to do with your mind, sometimes it wakes up before your body...He said, this could be a symptom of narcolepsy. You should get it checked out. I don't have narcolepsy, but I was just trying to describe this to Steve and playing this guitar lick that came to me after this nightmare, and this song just kind of came out of that experience." - Kevin Cadogan

Wow! thanks, I have wondered what was behind the song since if first came out. My daughter had the CD

#4 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:04 AM

I put this up for anyone unfamiliar with the song.
Sorry I could not find an actual video that didn't involve it being drown out by screaming girls.
It was brought up in another thread which I am having the post moved here...

Pretty cool stuff for nonPWN's huh?

The lyrics are posted below.

Narcolepsy by Third Eye Blind

Im on a train, but theres no one at the helm
And theres a demon in my brain
Who starts to overwhelm whelm whelm whelm whelm
And there it goes, my last chance for peace
You lay me down, but I get no release
And I say i, I try to keep awake
I try to swim beneath
I try to keep awake
But i, I can feel this narcolepsy slide
Into another nightmare
And theres a demon in my head who starts to play
A nightmare tape loop of what went wrong yesterday
And I hold my breath till its more than I can take
And I close my eyes and dream that Im awake
I try to keep awake
I try to keep awake
I try to keep awake
But i, I can feel this narcolepsy slide
Into another nightmare
I read dead russian authors volumes at a time
I write everything down except whats on my mind
Cause my greatest fear is that sucking sound
And then I know that Ill never get back out
And theres a bone in my hand that connects to a drink
In a crowded room where the glasses clink
And Ill buy you a beer and well drink it deep
Because that keeps me from falling asleep I said
Howd you like to be alone and drowning
Still I find this narcolepsy slide slide
Into another nightmare
Keep awake, keep awake, keep awake
And I can feel this narcolepsy slide

#5 mtc

mtc

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:18 AM

Pretty cool Marcianna! Thanks for sharing it. Sometimes I think it could be my theme song!

#6 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:14 AM

I love this song!

#7 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

That's so much closer to my own experience than any other song I've ever heard! It's not cliche at all. I shoulda bought this album years ago. Thanks for sharing.

#8 mtc

mtc

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Jan 7 2009, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's so much closer to my own experience than any other song I've ever heard! It's not cliche at all. I shoulda bought this album years ago. Thanks for sharing.

When I first heard this CD I listened to "Narcolepsy" over and over. It's just great!!!

#9 Naptime4mep

Naptime4mep

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

I had not yet started to experience any symptoms of narcolepsy when this song came out ( I am 23 yrs old so, I was early middle school age back then- my symptoms started to appear when I was 17). Back then I would jam to my older sisters third eye blind CD. This was one of my favorite songs (foreshadowing at its finest). My limited middle school vocabulary did not include this strange new word so I had to ask my sister what narcolepsy meant. After I received my diagnosis I dug through my sisters forgotten CDs and found that old familiar favorite. Five years later, that CD is still in my CD player. I keep it handy because when I am having a bad day nothing makes me feel better than turning up the volume and singing along to the lyrics.