Photo

How Do You Deal With Your Memory Issues?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

In memory loss and confusion and word finding, we have been able to find common ground amoung us and able to tell our stories and greivences with this particularly annoying symptom. Here I would like for us to share ideas and suggestions on how we over come these memory blips that seem to phase so many of us. Maybe there is something that we do in our daily lives that can help others out too.

Lets please keep this thread to advice and suggestions, and leave the stories and examples for the other one. It will help keep search for help to a minimum. so if we need idea help we can come here, if we need a shoulder to lean on then we can go there....

And many thanks to Itanyaperry for starting the topic in the first place. It was clearly something we needed to discuss!

#2 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

On the subject of Memory loss, confusion, word finding, and what I like to call myself, being a total Spaz. (meant in jest of course...)

I have read on the boards how we have trouble with these things, yet it did not dawn on me how serious it was with everyone until the conference this last weekend. This goes beyond memory loss and such. Many of us clearly exhibit what I have called in the past, "being claustrophobic in the head" or "not being able to think in a straight line" I was really surprised by this. like to the point of shock. There was a girl in one of the lectures describing how she has such trouble keeping her house clean because she cant keep to one task at a time and my heart just soared! ( I feel badly for her.. But I'm not a total slob after all! some one else does this spuratic type of stuff too! YAY!!!!) So with her in mind (sadly I dont recall her name, or many others for that matter) I wanted to share this little system I made up for myself that has helped tremendously. It starts with making a list and since most of us do that already, this should be easy for every one.
What I have here are old school library check out cards. Kinda hard to come by (some schools still have them shoved away in a closet somewhere that is how I got mine) but you get the idea, so you can use these or find something similar... I have put magnets on the back of the pocket and it lives on my refridgerator where I see it every day, with the cards inside.
This whole system is based on routine. We all have one even if it isn't golden... I have broken house hold chores into a weekly thing for the most part, I'll explain that in a bit... I live alone so that is fairly easy, your system will be diffrent depending on your needs.
Dont over complicate your list with things outside of house cleaning. Those are diffrent list for diffrent reasons, though if need be, you can probaly make the same system on another set.... And write everything down. dont skip even the smallest task. Doing dishes is a daily chore and seems easy enough but if it is not on my list I wouldn't do it. I would simply skip on to something else that is randomly rambling on in my head....

How to start:

Start with your house in perfect order. do what ever you have to do to get it done. ask your mom for help or have a pizza party for your friends, what ever it takes... this is important. And also the hardest part to do. And it it Extremely necissary.
Once you have that done make your list. I have a five room house so I am lucky. I broke my tasks up by room.

Here is a few examples of mine:
Sunday= dishes, litter box, (both daily chores) Laundry at moms house, and clean out fridge.
since I am always forgeting to eat, things seem to go bad in there..... lol....
Monday:= dishes, litter box (again daily chores but they have to be listed...) clean bedroom, Trash goes out tonight.

Ok two things. I want to point out: If your house is already immaculate since you just had your pizza/cleaning party, there is ALWAYS something to do. Dust, fold and put away clothes, make the bed, sort out drawers or clean out closets, look around and FIND what your missing.... and you will I promise...
thing number two: Notice how I cleaned out the fridge on Sunday? conviently the day before trash goes out? yeah... you get the idea. Also my mom has declared Sunday as my laundry day. No one else at her house is allowed to do laundry but me. that way I get it all done in one day. Awesome right?
Anyway, I have all the rooms broken up to diffrent days so I am always accomplishing something, and I am able to keep up with out getting overwhelmed. you may need to do somethings more often than I do. like I said, I live alone I am only responsible for myself. And once I got this system on a roll, I discovered I am not nearly the slob I thought I was. I can go all week without trashing a room, so then on the next time around there is only small things to do.
Sorry this has been soooo incredibly long, but after hearing from others who "cant think in a straight line" I really wanted to share this. It has helped me tremendously. And I hope that maybe it can be of service to some of you.
Thanks for baring with me. If anyone has questions let me know.... ~Marcia

#3 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:31 PM

For me the greatest struggle is often remembering the immediate. I have always been one to forget the three things that I purposely put in front of the door so I would not forget them. SOMEHOW, I manage to step over them as I leave without ever realizing that they are supposed to come with me. While that is frustrating, I find it even more unnerving when I start doing it with things like my medicine. As a solution I have taken to repeating the one thing that I must remember. For instance, today, I completely spaced on my 12:30 dose of amphetamine. So, when I did remember at 1:40, I left my classroom and literally said out loud, "meds, meds, meds," all the way to the drinking fountain. It seems silly, but is quite effective.

#4 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Mike M @ Oct 10 2008, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me the greatest struggle is often remembering the immediate. I have always been one to forget the three things that I purposely put in front of the door so I would not forget them. SOMEHOW, I manage to step over them as I leave without ever realizing that they are supposed to come with me. While that is frustrating, I find it even more unnerving when I start doing it with things like my medicine. As a solution I have taken to repeating the one thing that I must remember. For instance, today, I completely spaced on my 12:30 dose of amphetamine. So, when I did remember at 1:40, I left my classroom and literally said out loud, "meds, meds, meds," all the way to the drinking fountain. It seems silly, but is quite effective.

I saw so many people talking out loud to themselves last weekend that I was like super relieved to realize that I am not crazy at all for doing that also! so we are not silly at all, just vocally self-motivated.

Hmmm.... Vocally self-motivated.... I should copy right that one... lol....

#5 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:58 AM

QUOTE (Mike M @ Oct 9 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a solution I have taken to repeating the one thing that I must remember. For instance, today, I completely spaced on my 12:30 dose of amphetamine. So, when I did remember at 1:40, I left my classroom and literally said out loud, "meds, meds, meds," all the way to the drinking fountain. It seems silly, but is quite effective.

When I was little, I remember watching some show (maybe Sesame Street, Electric Company, etc) where a little girl went to the market for her mother.

Her mother told her what to get: "A chicken, and a garlic..." and the little girl repeated it back to her mom, the whole way to the store, and while she was in the store, to remember what to get.

I walk through the grocery store with my list in hand, repeating out loud the one item I need to get next. "Peanut butter, peanut butter, peanut butter" and then once I pick it up, I move on to the next item on the list. Sometimes on the list I write "a chicken and a garlic" at the top, even when I don't need them, just to be silly. tongue.gif

#6 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE (Kimberly @ Oct 10 2008, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was little, I remember watching some show (maybe Sesame Street, Electric Company, etc) where a little girl went to the market for her mother.

Her mother told her what to get: "A chicken, and a garlic..." and the little girl repeated it back to her mom, the whole way to the store, and while she was in the store, to remember what to get.

I walk through the grocery store with my list in hand, repeating out loud the one item I need to get next. "Peanut butter, peanut butter, peanut butter" and then once I pick it up, I move on to the next item on the list. Sometimes on the list I write "a chicken and a garlic" at the top, even when I don't need them, just to be silly. tongue.gif

oh no! I remember that! It was Seseme Street! She was always going for something diffrent! The one I remember the most is A gallon of milk a stick of butter and loaf of bread..... !!