• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

At the Narcolepsy Network conference in October 2008, Dr. Ruzica Rustanovic from Evanston Northwestern Hospital in IL presented interesting findings about weight & narcolepsy.

Dr. Ristanovic combined patient data from her own patients, and from the patients of two other physicians that she is not in practice with. The data showed that every single patient who had been prescribed Xyrem had lost weight, whether their Narcolepsy occurred with or without Cataplexy.

Her paper has not yet been published, so there were no handouts available from the presentation. But she did host a support group separately from her presentation to talk individually with patients about weight struggles.

Some of the other issues include hormones and metabolism. She talked about how narcoleptic rodents ate less than their non-narcoleptic peers, but still gained weight. This is something that a lot of patients (including myself) have seen first-hand. Metabolism is definitely affected.

During the support group, I was asked to pursue adding this forum to our online community so that we may continue the discussions about Narcolepsy & Weight, share our struggles and solutions.

#2 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

I missed that session but...

My brother with N lost a lot of weight on Provigil. He said it isn't because of eating less or anything like that. He said its from having enough energy to finally do everything he used to just want to do. So now he has the energy to work out.

I just started my Xyrem... I really hope I lose weight too! smile.gif

#3 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

I can't use Xyrem because of my myoclonus, but my doc did discover I'm hypothyroid and since starting hormone treatment I've started losing some weight. I couldn't before...I tried diet and exercise and nothing worked except outright starving myself during a time when I was too broke to buy food. Thank goodness something's finally working! Keep your fingers crossed it continues...

#4 petra

petra

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Oct 10 2008, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't use Xyrem because of my myoclonus,

Sorry this is a bit off topic - we could move it to another thread if that makes sense.

Hello Dogdreams,
I've got a kind of melodramatic looking movement disorder - myoclonus and/or dystonia thing too, and various other bits and bobs of brain injury problems that are all worse the less good sleep I get.
Socially it's a kind of tiring combination with cataplexy - if I twitch too violently, my friend gets a fright and jumps, I get startled by her reaction and (and annoyed that I'm twitchin in public and getting stared at) and get cataplexy, she bends down to check on me and we're like a two person version of that wave thing crowds do at sports events, forgot the word for it.

I've been wondering about the drugs, and haven't known who to ask. Have you found any drugs that can help the one without makng the other worse?
I was guessing that the baclofen or other sedative type medicines for movement disorders would make the sleepyness and maybe the cataplexy worse, but stimulants could maybe make the myoclonus /dystonia thing worse. Have stimulants been OK for you, or do you have to manage it without drugs? Was your doctor worried about Xyrem interacting with another drug, or making the myoclonus worse? Lots of questions - pls don't feel you should answer if I'm being too nosy.

Petra

#5 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (Kimberly @ Oct 8 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the Narcolepsy Network conference in October 2008, Dr. Ruzica Rustanovic from Evanston Northwestern Hospital in IL presented interesting findings about weight & narcolepsy.

Dr. Ristanovic combined patient data from her own patients, and from the patients of two other physicians that she is not in practice with. The data showed that every single patient who had been prescribed Xyrem had lost weight, whether their Narcolepsy occurred with or without Cataplexy.

Her paper has not yet been published, so there were no handouts available from the presentation. But she did host a support group separately from her presentation to talk individually with patients about weight struggles.

Some of the other issues include hormones and metabolism. She talked about how narcoleptic rodents ate less than their non-narcoleptic peers, but still gained weight. This is something that a lot of patients (including myself) have seen first-hand. Metabolism is definitely affected.

During the support group, I was asked to pursue adding this forum to our online community so that we may continue the discussions about Narcolepsy & Weight, share our struggles and solutions.

I have had three episodes related to stress were my N & C has got a lot worse. Each time I gained weight a stone (14lbs) within a couple of months. As I am so paranoid about my weight (fitting into clothes) I tried eating less and excercising more when the weight gain started. No joy and I find it really frustrating. I gain the weight on my bust (up three bra sizes), stomach and back. I look like a weeble. My arms, legs, bum and face stay the same. Yet when I put weight on naturally ie at Xmas I put the weight on my face, hips and bum. Provigil did make me loose the first stone, bereavement made me loose the second stone but I am battling with trying to loose the last stone. Each time I lost the weight before the next stressful weight gaining episode started. So I now have two sets of clothes, the larger set is the smaller sizes as my weight had never really flutuated for 20 years. This set is underneath my spare bed as I can't fit in it. I have cut out gluten from my diet, I don't have caffine, alcohol and have never smoked. I do have IBS, highly sensitive to gluten and have poly cystic ovaries. I take dexedrine but only 2.5gms as it makes me shakey, depressed and unable to sleep at night. When I took 10mgs I had no appetite.

#6 Catkin

Catkin

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (too exhausted @ Oct 10 2008, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have had three episodes related to stress were my N & C has got a lot worse. Each time I gained weight a stone (14lbs) within a couple of months. As I am so paranoid about my weight (fitting into clothes) I tried eating less and excercising more when the weight gain started. No joy and I find it really frustrating. I gain the weight on my bust (up three bra sizes), stomach and back. I look like a weeble. My arms, legs, bum and face stay the same. Yet when I put weight on naturally ie at Xmas I put the weight on my face, hips and bum. Provigil did make me loose the first stone, bereavement made me loose the second stone but I am battling with trying to loose the last stone. Each time I lost the weight before the next stressful weight gaining episode started. So I now have two sets of clothes, the larger set is the smaller sizes as my weight had never really flutuated for 20 years. This set is underneath my spare bed as I can't fit in it. I have cut out gluten from my diet, I don't have caffine, alcohol and have never smoked. I do have IBS, highly sensitive to gluten and have poly cystic ovaries. I take dexedrine but only 2.5gms as it makes me shakey, depressed and unable to sleep at night. When I took 10mgs I had no appetite.

I have seen scientific reports that say that the lack of restorative sleep is the reason we put on weight. We need to get enough stage four sleep or the metabolism doesn't kick in, so to speak. I put wieght on and couldn't get it off, no matter how hard I tried, and gave up in the end. Then I was diagnosed with sleep apneoa and given a CPAP machine. My sleep is a bit better, though not hugely, but suddenly the weight began to come off. I have to diet, but at least I now get results, whereas I didn't before. This would also explain why folk with other sleep disorders and things like fibromyalgia also often have weight problems.

#7 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (Kimberly @ Oct 8 2008, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I missed that lecture sadly, I wish I hadn't. I'm glad you brought it up here. Thanks Kimberly!

#8 desertpond57

desertpond57

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (too exhausted @ Oct 10 2008, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel like you're telling my story and right now the weight gain in making me so miserable I wonder why I even bother getting out of bed. Like you said, every stressor has added more weight and this time it was 30 lbs. I'm very much in need of someone to chat with to keep my spirits up while going through a very difficult time.

#9 caroline

caroline

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:I just found this site today, and am very thankful that I did. Today, I have been feeling overwhelmed by this disease; so, it is good to know that I am not alone. All my life, I have been easily tired and needed more sleep than most people, but I just thought it was my metabolism or that I was just lazy. I am 59 years old, and only got my diagnosis of narcolepsy less than a year ago. I can remember complaining of feeling tired all the time, but the doctors usually recomended a healthier life style ie lose weight. I did, then found it was the eating all the time that had kept me awake to drive, to work,even to read a book.

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

This weight loss with zyrem is very interesting. I was overweight for almost 30 years when I finally went to the first sleep clinic. After the first night time sleep study, the doctor told me that if I would lose 45 lbs he thought I would be fine, because I had mild sleep apnea. He did prescribe provigil for my sleepiness, and for several months, I felt "normal." I lost the 45 lbs, ate healthy, exercised some, but mostly just enjoyed my life. The thing was the provigil, kept me awake during the day, and then at night I slept like a baby, Prior to this, I would sleep maybe three-four hours/night and was always tired, or sleepy. Then seems like all at once the provigil stopped helping much, they upped the dose, but not much changed. I went back to the sleep clinic, but saw another doctor. He did another sleep study, and also the day time studies. Of course, I slept about 6 hours that night, and tried to sleep all day; so, I was diagnosed with narcolepsy. The weird thing is I have gone back to my old eating habits for over a year now, and gained maybe 5-8 lbs back. Prior to provigil and zyrem, I would have gained the weight back in a couple of months. I have been eating whatever I want, whenever I want, and basically have stayed a normal weight. I am 59 years old; so, weight is usually much harder to keep off as we age. It must be the meds and the quality of sleep.

#10 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 24 October 2008 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (caroline @ Oct 24 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This weight loss with zyrem is very interesting. I was overweight for almost 30 years when I finally went to the first sleep clinic. After the first night time sleep study, the doctor told me that if I would lose 45 lbs he thought I would be fine, because I had mild sleep apnea. He did prescribe provigil for my sleepiness, and for several months, I felt "normal." I lost the 45 lbs, ate healthy, exercised some, but mostly just enjoyed my life. The thing was the provigil, kept me awake during the day, and then at night I slept like a baby, Prior to this, I would sleep maybe three-four hours/night and was always tired, or sleepy. Then seems like all at once the provigil stopped helping much, they upped the dose, but not much changed. I went back to the sleep clinic, but saw another doctor. He did another sleep study, and also the day time studies. Of course, I slept about 6 hours that night, and tried to sleep all day; so, I was diagnosed with narcolepsy. The weird thing is I have gone back to my old eating habits for over a year now, and gained maybe 5-8 lbs back. Prior to provigil and zyrem, I would have gained the weight back in a couple of months. I have been eating whatever I want, whenever I want, and basically have stayed a normal weight. I am 59 years old; so, weight is usually much harder to keep off as we age. It must be the meds and the quality of sleep.

I got his off Wiki..... Thought it was interesting and may be similar to what you went through with your weight loss during your provigil use.

Studies on modafinil (even those on healthy weight individuals) indicate that it has an appetite reducing/weight loss effect.[36][32][37][38][39] All studies on modafinil in the Medline database that are for one month or longer which report weight changes find that modafinil users experience weight loss compared to placebo.[40]

However, the prescribing information for Provigil notes that "There were no clinically significant differences in body weight change in patients treated with PROVIGIL compared to placebo-treated patients in the placebo-controlled clinical trials." [41]

In experimental studies, the appetite reducing effect of modafinil appears to be similar to that of amphetamines, but, unlike amphetamines, the dose of modafinil that is effective at decreasing food intake does not significantly increase heart rate.

Also, an article published in the Annals of Clinical Psychiatry, presented the case of a 280 pound patient (BMI=35.52) who lost 40 pounds over the course of a year on Modafinil (to 30.44 BMI). After three years, his weight stabilized at a 50 pound weight loss (29.59 BMI). The authors conclude that placebo controlled studies should be conducted on using Modafinil as a weight loss agent.[36]

Conversely, a U.S. patent (#6,455,588) on using modafinil as an appetite stimulating agent has been filed by Cephalon in 2000.

#11 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 24 October 2008 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Oct 24 2008, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In experimental studies, the appetite reducing effect of modafinil appears to be similar to that of amphetamines, but, unlike amphetamines, the dose of modafinil that is effective at decreasing food intake does not significantly increase heart rate.

I lost 30-40 pounds on Provigil in a 3 month period. I also knew I was losing the weight and tried to eat as much as possible to prevent the weight loss. I literally ate until it hurt 3-4 times each day. In that final 3 week period, I lost 10 pounds. I also lost some weight on amphetamine, until I had to add BP meds. My heart rate that had stayed the same throughout the Provigil was 150/100 on amphetamine. With the BP meds, I gained bakc much of the lost weight. Yippee!

#12 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (too exhausted @ Oct 10 2008, 02:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

aw that sounds just like me. I *think* I have IBS but I don't have the energy to go for a colonoscopy right now... and I have cyst problems (though I was told it isn't specifically PCOS) - as a side note how are you finding managing this with the N. drugs? i'm worried about the provigil as the only way I can control the cyst growth right now is hormonal contraceptives.
anyways, I have three sets of clothes... skinny normal and fat LOL. When I went on the provigil a few weeks ago I stopped eating and though I'v estarted eating mroe again I still seem to be loosing weight. which is nice, exept just a month ago I finally broke down and spend a bunch of money on new fat clothes becasue I didn't fit into any of my jeans or shirts. go figure LOL

#13 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

has anyone that has lost weight because of meds found that there is a plateau or does it eventually become a problem? Right now I'm not worried as I was about 20-25lbs over my desired weight, but I'm wondering what will happen once I get to a weight Im comfortable with...

#14 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

I know for me there was a plateau, and it didn't last too long. I eventually started gaining a bit of weight back.

QUOTE (chimbakka @ Nov 5 2008, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
has anyone that has lost weight because of meds found that there is a plateau or does it eventually become a problem? Right now I'm not worried as I was about 20-25lbs over my desired weight, but I'm wondering what will happen once I get to a weight Im comfortable with...

#15 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (greatbig47 @ Nov 5 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know for me there was a plateau, and it didn't last too long. I eventually started gaining a bit of weight back.

Each time I gained weight (three times now) I always put on the same amount. Just over 14lbs. The same amount I gained when I was 9 months pregnant. Its strange because I have gained the weight each times within two months and ended up looking like a weeble. Fat back, bloated stomach (looking like 9 months pregnant) and a huge bust. I keep having to buy bigger bras. I am getting shoulder and back ache for lugging around two huge water melons. They are really getting me down.

#16 angellus

angellus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Feeling well.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:06 PM

I did loose weight when... but not until about 9 months later... cause i started eating less and exercising. I try not to eat processed food...ie mac an cheese, white bread, candy or junk food. Im at 212 now and gaining muscle. Its about consistency for me.. if i eat without thinking about what im eating i gain weight. I don't count calories or anything.. just eat a visualized sized portion. Complex carbs about the size of my fist, protein the size of my plam.. and as much veggie as i want as long as its not cooked in oil or butter!

#17 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

I remember my very first time I was prescribed a course of Ritalin.

Without dieting, without exercising.
I became very slim, even toned, like someone who went for a jog everyday.

Shame that didn't last for long sad.gif

#18 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 06 November 2008 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (angellus @ Nov 5 2008, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if i eat without thinking about what im eating i gain weight.

Yes! My husband and I call this "mindful" eating. Being aware of what goes into our mouths and thinking before anything does go in there!

Between the 2 of us we have lost over 100 lbs this year. Still have a ways ago go.

The trick is to PLAN, to have healthy foods and snacks available on-hand at all times, and to eat/snack on a regular basis so we never find ourselves so hungry that we succumb to something 'easy' like the drive thru or the vending machine.

Me getting regulated on N meds really helped with this, because previously I was so tired that I didn't even have enough energy in the evenings to prepare a meal, so we went out or did takeout quite a bit.

"Mindful" - love the word, love the concept.

#19 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

Dang it, I think I eat pretty healthy and I still can't lose weight. I avoid all sorts of unhealthy foods and I eat mostly plain baked meats and lots of fresh vegetables all the time. the only chocolate I indulge in is sugar-free. I only eat ice cream a couple of times a week (again, sugar-free). I never eat out and I cook everything for myself. I go for foods with minimal ingredients or foods that are natural and haven't been processed at all. But its not enough. The scale won't budge. I think I'm cursed.

#20 sleepybrown

sleepybrown

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

I was diagnosed in the end of my senior year of high school and put on provigil. I never experienced a weight loss. I gained some weight it college and at first I attributed it to the college eating habits but whenever I forget to take my meds I have a huge increase in appetite but I do not graze like I do on my meds. I don't know what that is about but Provigil seems to have killed my metabolism. I was always a slim girl and I am a size 8 now which at 5'7 isn't too bad (although I feel like a truck) but I have found that I am more frequently hungry now than I am without the Provigil.