• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:45 PM

If you were able to Make it to the conference in Milwaukee this year, please raise your virtual hand! Tell us a little bit about your experience and anything new you have learned! Who was your favorite speaker? Do you have any suggestions for the future?

Did anyone sneak off and get a tattoo? tongue.gif

I myself had a wonderful time. It was my first one. I was astounded at how much we all had in common! Even things that I were not aware were linked to Narcolepsy, seem to be common traits amoung us. I cant even begin to explain how life changing this was for me, So great big huge thanks to all who have broke thier backs bring us together!!!!
My personal favorite speaker, (if you can call her that, She was sooooo much more!) Was Robin Bach. I really seemed understand her way of shaking things up with the energy, Sadly I did not participate, But I got plenty of pictures of those who did! She seemed to have gained in popularity over the weekend! I was a pleasure meeting her and having the chance to sit down and talk to her.

And it was also a blessing to have met all of you! I really look forward to next year...

(And Erica, if you are reading this I have managed to remember your name for three days now! That is a new personal record! lol!!!!)

#2 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

I too had a glorious time at my first conference. I hope others will offer their thoughts and comments. What touched you? What upset you? What helped you grow?

I enjoyed every speaker I attended. I also learned a valuable lesson - two actually. One, I should definitely plan to rest periodically on the first day. Two, I need to plan to take Monday off next time. My co-teachers sent me home today since I looked completely exhausted when I got to school.

For me, the best part was meeting so many amazing PWNs. The best session I attended was Audrey's post-lunch yoga session. Blowing the bubbles to focus our breathing was stellar. I left the session determines to work kundalini yoga back into my daily routine. Please share what stood out to you!

#3 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (Mike M @ Oct 7 2008, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For me, the best part was meeting so many amazing PWNs. The best session I attended was Audrey's post-lunch yoga session. Blowing the bubbles to focus our breathing was stellar. I left the session determines to work kundalini yoga back into my daily routine. Please share what stood out to you!

Oh man seriously? I wish had gotten pictures of that! How cool! I however went straight to bed after lunch pretty much every day I was there... Now I wonder how many other cool things I missed? sigh....... Maybe she will do it again next year!

#4 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

I got a lot out of all of the sessions that I attended with Dr. Rubin Naiman. My favorite one of his was the Complementary and Alternative Medicine approaches for Narcolepsy -- I am going to be making some changes to the "light" situation in my bedroom and trying to introduce more of the anti-inflammatory foods into my diet too.

I also enjoyed Robin Bach's "Nia - Movement with Meaning" session that I attended on Sunday. I found out that there's a Nia class at my gym on Fridays so I think I will start going to that because I really liked it. Probably would have been better at it if I wasn't wearing jeans and a turtleneck!

My absolute favorite part of the weekend was meeting others with Narcolepsy (especially those that I feel close to because of our interactions here on this forum), listening to their stories, and just being NORMAL with them.

#5 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:56 AM

My favorite part was meeting other PWN's and I really enjoyed being the "normal" people for the weekend. I loved being able to meet you guys, although I think there were still a lot of people I didn't find from here.

I also needed to expect to take the next day off of school. And I missed Tuesday morning too lol. I needed to recover from the drive (and the drinking lol).

Anyone back home who's asked me how it was... I've answered "It was the best weekend of my life." So yea... that sums it up. I loved hanging out with you guys.

I didn't have a favorite speaker... I was bummed out because I missed quite a few while I was sleeping. I'll just need to go to those next year smile.gif Actually the Nicotene and N was very interesting... not really good news, but still interesting.

#6 sleepy.erin

sleepy.erin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:documentaries, comedies, crochet and knitting (although I stink at the latter), politics, current events, most kinds of music (sorry, not a country fan!), history, biographies, volunteering, human rights advocacy, naps, my boyfriend Jack, my cat Jax, video and computer games, spending time with my family, the Chicago White Sox, sudoku, crossword puzzles

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:12 PM

I went and like many others, it was my first time. I was a bit apprehensive when it came to the thought of going but only because I had no idea what to expect. But, living so nearby (chicago), I couldn't pass it up and I am really glad I didn't!

I know I am parroting the other replies when I say that meeting other pwn was so very, very cool. I think the funniest moment was after lunch on the first day; I looked around and everyone had the exact same glazed-over, half-asleep look on their face. I turned to my mom and said, "Look! My people!"

Speaking of, the nap opportunities after lunch were a god send.

I met so many amazing people (too many to rattle off) and learned so very, very much. I had no idea that the procrastination thing was N-related, although it makes perfect sense. My favorite session was the Sex & Intamacy group. If you were there, you know why. *LOL* Lots of funny moments and anecdotes and several neat ideas shared all around.

There was something else I wanted to mention but I forgot :/ I'll edit this if i can remember it later biggrin.gif

#7 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (sleepy.erin @ Oct 8 2008, 05:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was something else I wanted to mention but I forgot :/ I'll edit this if i can remember it later biggrin.gif

classic! lol.... Im not laughing at you but with because OMG do I EVER know!!!! laugh.gif

#8 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (sleepy.erin @ Oct 7 2008, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My favorite session was the Sex & Intamacy group. If you were there, you know why. *LOL* Lots of funny moments and anecdotes and several neat ideas shared all around.

That session was incredible. The range of ages ALONE impressed me. I also loved that we ran the gambit from funny/awkward moments to truly sweet and touching sharing. sleepy.erin, thanks for remind me how much I LOVED that session!

#9 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (sleepy.erin @ Oct 7 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I am parroting the other replies when I say that meeting other pwn was so very, very cool. I think the funniest moment was after lunch on the first day; I looked around and everyone had the exact same glazed-over, half-asleep look on their face. I turned to my mom and said, "Look! My people!"

LoL!!! That's awesome! I wish my mom was there to see it too! I was too glazed over to even notice that everyone else was too. smile.gif

#10 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

I dug being around so many other pwns

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

QUOTE (Lais02 @ Oct 8 2008, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LoL!!! That's awesome! I wish my mom was there to see it too! I was too glazed over to even notice that everyone else was too. smile.gif

#11 angellus

angellus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Feeling well.

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

Is there a photo page on the site anywhere? I took a bunch of camera pictures.. but.. id love to see what else was captured.. i remember the girl with the camera walking and taking pictures constantly

#12 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (angellus @ Oct 9 2008, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is there a photo page on the site anywhere? I took a bunch of camera pictures.. but.. id love to see what else was captured.. i remember the girl with the camera walking and taking pictures constantly

That was me! Actually, I am not sure if there is a "official photo site" for us. I was just actually going over some of the pics, and hopefully they will be up soon. I am hoping they will allow me some time to run a few through photoshop... i'm still waiting to hear back on that. Since photo's take up space, I am not sure if we can start a photo thread or not. I will look into it.

I would personally like to know if we have an official archive or not. Because if we don't.... lol... I'm all over it!

#13 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Ok here is what is new:

I will be starting a photo thread for the 2008 Milwaukee conference. Please by all means if you have submissions..... then post them!

I would love to see what it was that you have seen!

#14 angellus

angellus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Feeling well.

Posted 09 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Oct 9 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was me! Actually, I am not sure if there is a "official photo site" for us. I was just actually going over some of the pics, and hopefully they will be up soon. I am hoping they will allow me some time to run a few through photoshop... i'm still waiting to hear back on that. Since photo's take up space, I am not sure if we can start a photo thread or not. I will look into it.

I would personally like to know if we have an official archive or not. Because if we don't.... lol... I'm all over it!

OHHH that was you...lol? if there isnt space we can do a webshots or flickr or one of those free sites...

#15 sleepy.erin

sleepy.erin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:documentaries, comedies, crochet and knitting (although I stink at the latter), politics, current events, most kinds of music (sorry, not a country fan!), history, biographies, volunteering, human rights advocacy, naps, my boyfriend Jack, my cat Jax, video and computer games, spending time with my family, the Chicago White Sox, sudoku, crossword puzzles

Posted 09 October 2008 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Oct 9 2008, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was me! Actually, I am not sure if there is a "official photo site" for us.

That was you? LOL I spoke with you! hahaha laugh.gif

#16 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (sleepy.erin @ Oct 9 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That was you? LOL I spoke with you! hahaha laugh.gif

!!! I hope I didn't say anything stupid!!! I can be pretty goofy sometimes!!!

#17 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:18 AM

That time of year again!

Lets hear from Jacksonville 2009!

BUMP!!!!!!