Good Source Of Information

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

I have found this good webpage. It explains diagnoise, treatments etc. Its worth reading.
http://adam.about.co.../Narcolepsy.htm

#2 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

Did anyone read in this article where it states that N is not progressive? Mine has been, big time. All of my doctors have told me it could get worse as I aged, but that some symptoms may plateau around the age of 60 - 65.

Am I the only one?

#3 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Oct 6 2008, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did anyone read in this article where it states that N is not progressive? Mine has been, big time. All of my doctors have told me it could get worse as I aged, but that some symptoms may plateau around the age of 60 - 65.

Am I the only one?

People in the UK seem to be told that it is not progressive and yes that when you are in your sixties the dreams and EDS are milder. But reading topics and other support groups the symptoms seem to get progressive after you are 30. This seems to be the most talked about age and also after periods of stress. Stress effects the immune system, energy is taken away to concentrate on adrenaline, muscles etc (fight or flight response) from when we first put on this earth. Our bodies our made to deal with short periods of stress not days, weeks and months as todays life style can warrent. I can pin point when I knew I had N, I can pinpoint what triggered my last three episodes of N & C reaaly bad. All down to immense stress, death of close loved ones, terminal illness of a loved one and bullying etc at work at a time when I was really bad with my symptoms.
So if N is an auto immune disease then surely through out life stresses will have an impact on our symptoms. Only my therory.

#4 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:58 PM

Excellent theory! Thanks for sharing.

I believe that it is also possible for it to be genetic, but I also don't believe that either is mutually exclusive. My father had exactly what I have.

I had symptoms as a young child. They were worse by early teens, then by late teens, then by mid twenties, then had 1st child at 31, and WHAM, 2nd child at 38, and SUPER WHAM!!!!, horrible stress w/ mothers death, and OMG!!! levels. I think you have to be genetically set up to get most health problems even if the problems are triggered by environmental causes, but hey, I'm not a medical researcher. I just think it's interesting that my dad had it, probably even a half sister has it that I did not grow up with. She says that she has similar symptoms with me, though milder, and she is 9 years older than me. She's not been tested.

I'll be interested to see if others post to this topic. If no one does, maybe I'll set up a poll because I've been wanting to know what others have to say.

#5 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

Mine is progressive and if the theory of stress is true, then that would seriously make sense to me. This is a good topic. Thanks for bring this up!