Photo

Dreams Taken From Real Life But Extended

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:09 PM

As most of you know Andre works the second shift and sleeps late into the morning. I have a 12 year old son who does not like to get into the shower at 6am on school days. What happens is that I raise my voice at him then he gets in the shower and problem solved. I agree it must be annoying hearing that if you have only been sleeping for a couple of hours but this is not an everyday occurrence. Once my son is off to school my daughter and I get ready for school/work and are out of the door before 8am. I have crazy hours since I work for the kids school so I am back home shortly after 9am for about another 2 hours. When I woke Andre up the other day he was so upset that I had a huge blowout with our son that in Andre's mind carries on for hours and sounds awful.

I will admit I had to be accused of being a mean mom a few times before I thought about Andre possibly having dreams about what he may have heard in the morning. Is this a possibility? Could he be hearing a real life scenario then fall asleep and carrying on that same scenario further in his dream world?

Don't get me wrong, my son and I can get into a good fight once in a while but not usually in the morning before school. If he is extending reality into dream what is it called? And how do you separate it out?

It's been almost a year since Andre's DX and as much as I think I have learned I feel like I am moving backward in understanding all of the ins and outs of N.

BTW on a totally different subject, I am totally jealous of all of you going to the conference. Have a great time!!

#2 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

Obviously, we PWNs all have different experiences, but I KNOW that I have had moments of reality extend into dreams. I have NO idea what I would call it, other than freaky and rotten. I am sure some moments like that have evolved into HH that played out in my gray matter. Others probably just became weird. None the less, I am certain that they have at times lead to conflicts between my wife and I. Even something as small and foolish as a discussion that I think we had because it came in a dream after our real conversation ended. I am sorry to hear that something like that has led to stress for you and Andre. As another PWN who is now 13 months into learning how to live with this, I too find it frustrating that new "quirks" still pop up at times. I try to remind myself that I will likely have "new" narcolepsy moments for the rest of my life. Hopefully, you and Andre can find a middle ground in this. Since I too have an almost 12 year old (daughter for me), I would be willing to guess that there will be a few more mornings with raised voices and strong words. Good luck. I am going to do my best to take photos and gather information for the many PWNs (and their loving family members) who can't make it this year.

#3 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 28 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

With my memory recall problems, I also have memory 'corruption' problems. If I just daydream something, my mind may record it as a real memory, or vice versa. Most folks can tell a memory is a dream memory or a waking memory - I cannot -- it all gets garbled up and is hard to distinguish.

#4 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:28 PM

LMH, this happens to me too.

I will tell my husband "I dreamed that we talked about 1, 2, and 3." Well, we talked about 1 and 2, but 3 was totally a dream. Real life and HH sort of melding together because I was really sleepy when we were having the conversation.

#5 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:12 PM

Before I was dx'd w/ N, there were times that I would really say horrible things to my husband in the morning (family members before getting married) and not have a clue afterwards. We even went to a marriage counselor who said that I was lying when I said that I did not remember doing this. There have been days that I'll talk to my husband about things that we've discussed and he is totally lost and will say that we've never had these conversations. The conversations that I positive that we've had always occur in the morning while I'm still in bed. My doctor says these are the (I cannot spell this) hypnopompnic (I know this is totally wrong and I'm not going to look it up) hallucinations that occur upon waking up as opposed to hypnogogic (same thing) hallucinations that occur while going to sleep. My hallucinations always are current environment oriented, which makes it so difficult to tell what is reality and what is not. I also have very vivid auditory hallucinaitons where I constantly hear my kids calling out, "Mama!", "Mom!". They never answer me when I respond (or think that I have). My daddy did this also. He'd get up in the morning and ask my mother why she would stomp around on the floor above his room (they both had sleep problems and had to get separate bedrooms about 5 years before my daddy died). He'd yell at her saying "WHAT! WHAT?!" "Why do you keep calling my name and not answering me when I answer you?" He'd get really mad at her and think she was lying when she said that she did not do these things, and she'd tell me that he was insane because he believed these things. Mornings have been bizarre for me my whole life.

#6 sleepylisa

sleepylisa

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:24 AM

I've actually woke up accusing my husband of having an affair (something I dreamed about) and seriously believed it happened for about 10 minutes after waking until my head clears up. Sometimes I wake up angry at him and can't remember why, treat him like crap, and then half way through my day I realize that I am angry with him about something in my dreams.

The worst thing is sometimes he will try to wake me up early (for an appointment I've asked him to help me get up and get ready for) and I will sit up in bed, argue with him and say mean things, and go back to sleep (having no idea I've done this). WHen I finally come around and come out to the kitchen and he's mad at me, I honestly have no idea why, and cannot believe I've said some of the things he tells me I've said. It's so frustrating because I am not a mean person at all and would never do or say anything to hurt him. I wake up feeling guilty and with a crappy start to my day and a fight on my hands before I've even gotten out of bed. It's an awful feeling and causes a lot of unnecessary friction and residual guilt. All I can do is apologize and try to explain that I really don't remember doing it, but by that time the damage is done and my day is already off to a bad start.

#7 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

sleepylisa,

I hope you can remember that it is not your fault. You have no control over your dreams. How about this one. I am the PWN in our house, and I have certainly had HH that feel real and real moments that have become dreams. My wife is the one who has had experiences like yours. She wakes up periodically furious with me for what has happened in her dreams. Fortunately, we can often talk things out and no one leaves the house upset. I hope you and your husband can find some ways to be at peace with those moments.

#8 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ Sep 28 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With my memory recall problems, I also have memory 'corruption' problems. If I just daydream something, my mind may record it as a real memory, or vice versa. Most folks can tell a memory is a dream memory or a waking memory - I cannot -- it all gets garbled up and is hard to distinguish.

I do this too much. I have no idea how to tell what was real and what was a dream. In fact it happened this morning... I had to ask both of my room mates about it before I realized I was dreaming it.

I remember way too many times my mom would be so upset with me, but I had no idea why. I was very mean in the morning aparently... I don't remember any of it though.

It also happens the other way for me. I'll get ready for class, eat breakfast, take a shower, pick out my clothes, and go to school. Then all of a sudden my roommate storms in my room freaking out because I'm still sleeping and my class has already started. LoL... actually its not very funny when it happens!

#9 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

QUOTE (Lais02 @ Oct 3 2008, 05:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do this too much. I have no idea how to tell what was real and what was a dream. In fact it happened this morning... I had to ask both of my room mates about it before I realized I was dreaming it.

I remember way too many times my mom would be so upset with me, but I had no idea why. I was very mean in the morning aparently... I don't remember any of it though.

It also happens the other way for me. I'll get ready for class, eat breakfast, take a shower, pick out my clothes, and go to school. Then all of a sudden my roommate storms in my room freaking out because I'm still sleeping and my class has already started. LoL... actually its not very funny when it happens!

I do this loads. I will get out of bed, have my breakfast, take a shower etc and be exhausted only to then wake up. I then have to do the boring routine again. When I have had dreams that I know are dreams ie famous people in them, in a different house etc I still worry about them and anaylise them. For example I had a dream that my brother in law had an old disused train in the middle of a field and he was keeping puppies inside. The puppies where cold, hungry and unloved. I knew that it wasn't real but I was so angry at my brother in law I had to tell him off to clear my mind. I first apologised to him saying what I am about to say will make no sense at all to you but bear with me. I just had to get it off my chest. He was okay about it and promised to look after them better in my next dream. The feelings from dreams are the same I get when awake. The hardest and most common dreams that I have and have had from being small are of people dying. The two most common are of my nanna and mum dying. I was really close to them and now sadly both have passed away. When they were alive I would have to ring them up and speak to them. My mum was fine with this but my nanna was a bit peeved off at being woken at all hours. Now I relive the moment like I have just been told that they have died and the feelings are so raw it takes me days to recover from the bereavement.
It is hard to know if your memories are real or part of a dream. Very confusing, you need to ask other people who were there or not (as the case may be) to let you know what really happened. Mirco sleeps make it hard, automatic behaviour makes it hard and a fuzzy poor memory thrown in for good measure just in case you were sorting it all out. Love the Narcolepsy, ha ha. Life is never easy.

#10 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Lovemyhusband @ Sep 28 2008, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As most of you know Andre works the second shift and sleeps late into the morning. I have a 12 year old son who does not like to get into the shower at 6am on school days. What happens is that I raise my voice at him then he gets in the shower and problem solved. I agree it must be annoying hearing that if you have only been sleeping for a couple of hours but this is not an everyday occurrence. Once my son is off to school my daughter and I get ready for school/work and are out of the door before 8am. I have crazy hours since I work for the kids school so I am back home shortly after 9am for about another 2 hours. When I woke Andre up the other day he was so upset that I had a huge blowout with our son that in Andre's mind carries on for hours and sounds awful.

I will admit I had to be accused of being a mean mom a few times before I thought about Andre possibly having dreams about what he may have heard in the morning. Is this a possibility? Could he be hearing a real life scenario then fall asleep and carrying on that same scenario further in his dream world?

Don't get me wrong, my son and I can get into a good fight once in a while but not usually in the morning before school. If he is extending reality into dream what is it called? And how do you separate it out?

It's been almost a year since Andre's DX and as much as I think I have learned I feel like I am moving backward in understanding all of the ins and outs of N.

BTW on a totally different subject, I am totally jealous of all of you going to the conference. Have a great time!!

I tend to dream about what has happened that day and if I fall asleep whilst watching a tv programme I will dream the ending. I know its been a dream because the programme has just ended in my mind but the clock has passed by two hours. If somebody is talking whilst I am falling asleep or waking up this will be included in my dream aswel.
I have dreams about my partner coming home late and he hasn't even left the house. I dream about us arguing and he has no idea what I am talking about and the list goes on.
Don't tell your husband something you want him to remember while he is sleepy or in the bedroom. Write it down and show him later. As you are wasting your breath because if he is anything like me he won't have a clue what you said.
My cheeky partner got a diary for me and made me write things in it what he had told me. Proof for him, problem remembering to read it from me. Bless his cotton socks, one up th N.

#11 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (sleepylisa @ Oct 1 2008, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've actually woke up accusing my husband of having an affair (something I dreamed about) and seriously believed it happened for about 10 minutes after waking until my head clears up. Sometimes I wake up angry at him and can't remember why, treat him like crap, and then half way through my day I realize that I am angry with him about something in my dreams.

The worst thing is sometimes he will try to wake me up early (for an appointment I've asked him to help me get up and get ready for) and I will sit up in bed, argue with him and say mean things, and go back to sleep (having no idea I've done this). WHen I finally come around and come out to the kitchen and he's mad at me, I honestly have no idea why, and cannot believe I've said some of the things he tells me I've said. It's so frustrating because I am not a mean person at all and would never do or say anything to hurt him. I wake up feeling guilty and with a crappy start to my day and a fight on my hands before I've even gotten out of bed. It's an awful feeling and causes a lot of unnecessary friction and residual guilt. All I can do is apologize and try to explain that I really don't remember doing it, but by that time the damage is done and my day is already off to a bad start.

I am so glad that I'm not alone in doing this, although it is awful that anyone goes through it.

#12 sleepylisa

sleepylisa

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE (Mike M @ Oct 2 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sleepylisa,

I hope you can remember that it is not your fault. You have no control over your dreams. How about this one. I am the PWN in our house, and I have certainly had HH that feel real and real moments that have become dreams. My wife is the one who has had experiences like yours. She wakes up periodically furious with me for what has happened in her dreams. Fortunately, we can often talk things out and no one leaves the house upset. I hope you and your husband can find some ways to be at peace with those moments.

Thank you Mike, and everyone for your understanding and encouragement!!

#13 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:43 AM

I am so glad I started this thread. It makes life much easier to know others are finding the same obstacles in life.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, I truly appreciate it.