Feeling Hopeless

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gladtoknow

gladtoknow

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:47 PM

I haven't been on in awhile because I've been really struggling lately. The adderall isn't helping like it used to and I'm just sooooooo sleepy and exhausted. I just want to give up. I have a 9 yo daughter and I try to push myself to do things w/her, but it's such a challenge. Even having a conversation with her (or anyone) seems like way too much work. I have no suicidal intentions, I'm just lacking any reason to look forward to life, ya know? Changing meds is an option, but I've already tried 8 different ones-including xyrem (alone and in combination). N just sucks sometimes and this happens to be one of those "times" right now for me.

Sorry to be such a whiner but thanks for listening!

#2 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:13 PM

Hi GTK!

It's always good to see you around.

We've all been in the funk...or at least something like it.
I won't try to cheer you up..I know that can be annoying as hell sometimes.

What you got planned to rise above it?

#3 Mike M

Mike M

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Interests:Ultimate Frisbee, Literature, Film, Music, Narcolepsy, Education

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

gladtoknow,

Your post struck a chord for me. I have a daughter who will turn 12 soon. My biggest regret about having narcolepsy is that it keeps me from being present with her and with my wife. Currently, I am in a decent place with the guilt that can overwhelm me, but can certainly sense the pain and frustration in your post. Stu said it well - we all go through our own slumps. I can't imagine what this one is like for you, but will certainly keep you in my thoughts. I too take amphetamine as my stimulant. I didn't try as many as you have, but hope I never need to look again. Still, my 50-60 mg/day does not feel as effective as it did in the first few months. One thing that did help me was taking a "medication holiday" during a weekend before my school year started. I was semi-functional on the Saturday, but Sunday was a complete wash for me. Still, even with the two day break, I felt like the amphetamine worked a bit better when I re-started it. I have a four day break coming in October and hope to try a longer break then. Of course, I could only do that because of my job schedule and my wife's willingness to carry the load for both of us. Good luck. I hope you will continue to post.