Bad Dreams

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Sebastian Sluga

Sebastian Sluga

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:42 PM

I find that I have a few dreams where it's like watching a soap opera or reality tv or something. like it wont be a recurring dream, but i'll have a dream with the same people and same ideas or with "memories" that are actually a previous dream i had. like there are five of me, all living different lives, and i tune in every few nights to one of them to see what's going on. very odd

i'm waiting for a f/u with my sleep dr. and im pretty much out of ativan so i've been rationing it. VERY messed up dreams lately.

a few weeks ago i had one that i was driving with my fiance. wierd stuff happened but i'll get to the good part. we got separated (yeah in a car god knows how that happens) and i got to the bridge going into the city first. it was closed off and there were police and firetrucks everywhere, and the whole road was cars with people getting out like in a movie where everyone is just dumbstruck by what's goign on. the river is under the bridge and on one side there are old buildings that go with the backs along the river (same town, but the view for these buildings is from a different bridge in real life). for some reason the backs of the buildings are all falling into the river, and there is stuff on fire, and there are people in the buildings screaming and there is a firetruck with the ladder to one of the buildings and the firemen went up and start pushing people into the river because they can't get them out any other way, and there are people hurling themselves into the river like in the movie titanic... but it's freezing cold and most of them end up freezing or drowning... and on the left of the bridge you can see the river carrying dead bodies and for some reason they are all lined up along the bank of the river as well, some in plastic (not sure why.). i'm talking to one of the people there and saying i have to do something to help im a nurse i can help what can i do?!?!?! and she's saying are ayou aware of "insert wierd name for a disease here", it's very contagious and can cause "insert some wierd *BEEP* that it can cause here i can't remember specifically what it was" and you have to wear this whole getup thing like hazard suit... so im on the sidewalk before the bridge starts bawling my eyes out and horrified and my fiance comes up and i tell him what's going on and he says you ahve to od what you have to do and im like well what about the people down THERE! and point to the people along the river....

so we somehow get to the people and start doing cpr... but we can only do like one or twor eps each then move on to the next because there are so many people... and we cover up the ones that we can't help so they have some dignity... and i find a little kid and she's ok then some other wierd stuff happens but i can't remember from there

haha oh man. well at least i don't need cable for a while. at least at this point, even though im terrifed ir whatever in the dream, i don't usually wake up scared. now it's just like watchin ga really scary movie. i don't usually wake up scared unless i just get a random night terror with no dream that i remember attached, like waking up with my heart pounding for no reason.

fun times lol

growing up thats kind of what it was like for me, ide have like a running story line with the extremely vivid fantasy world with the fantasy woman with the face i can never remember and the adventure trying to save her then escape with her.

started when i was 7 or 8 with a little girl and me being 7 or 8 being taken by some weird bad guys and me climbing through vents and coming across her cell/room and pulling her up with me and trying to navigate the maze of the vents with her avoiding traps like in the movie the Cube.

#42 flutterbye_xo

flutterbye_xo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Running, painting, reading, xbox, music, paintball...I want to dance.

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:28 AM

I'm new to my diagnosis of N. I don't have night terrors the way many of you describe them, and they do seem terrible. I can't even watch scary movies so I might have a heart attack if I had one of those. Mine are very real and usually about people in my life. Often I think someone said or did something while I was asleep and I have to work hard to realize they didn't. This is so confusing and worries me. Also when I am alone I do wake up with my heart beating and sweating like I just ran a mile when I have a bad dream. My dreams usually involve something happening that I dread like my mom dying or loosing my significant other. I just wanted to know if anyone had these dreams where they thought someone said something...

Also, often if someone tries to wake me up I am angry in my sleep and say things I wouldn't. I try to tell people not to wake me up. :(

"Deep into the darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before." - Edgar Allan Poe

#43 bluestarr78

bluestarr78

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

I love writing about my bizarre dreams and I know many on here can relate to the weirdness, so I may share one on here every now and then. I have been keeping track of my dreams throughout my life and lately have been recording some of the dreams in a journal. The imagery I dream often is: Tornadoes, violent weather, escalators (especailly escalators going down into deep water), tsunamis, lava, deep water, drains.

I have been having some very strong and disturbing dreams lately. One the other night, I was stuck in what appeared to be Mel's Hole (reference Art Bell's Coast to Coast program for details - not that I ought to be listening to THAT of all things - my dreamlife is weird enough already!!). Anyway, the Hole was actually quite wide and there was a large building structured around it. I went into the building and went down a wide golden spiral staircase which quickly started descending into water. Soon I was essentially in a very large bowl of water. I swam under the water and realized that it was Very deep and that also there were small openings in the sides like doors leading off into other passageways - all completely underwater. Going through one of these I reached a second "bowl" of super deep water and as I swam downward I could see a dotted line across the water which somehow I knew acted as a force field. Well, I began to become utterly terrified in my dream because I KNEW (somehow!) that touching this field would be a VERY BAD THING - as in I felt electricity emanating from it and that I would likely be sucked down into this seemingly bottomless bowl of water! What's worse is that as I swam closer to it and came within a few feet of it - I could clearly see these demonic skeleton like creatures swimming right up to the force field on the other side of it in the deeper water. I looked back up and could see where the surface of the water was above and the spiral staircase that was above water up there and knew I had to swim back up immediately.

I am terrified of deep water and obsessed with drains/pools/bowls of water - very strange. I used to have dreams about the "deep" end of the pool or being stuck at the bottom of bowls of deep water, usually having channels or openings or other bowls of water.

#44 flutterbye_xo

flutterbye_xo

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Running, painting, reading, xbox, music, paintball...I want to dance.

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:30 AM

...did you hear the one where i'm in a hot tub on vacation, enjoying myself ten-fold with my lovely mother and then suddenly she doesn't respond to our conversation; to a joke, and so I turn to look; she doesn't respond b/c she floating face down, bloated, blue and dead in the water. have you heard that one?

love that one.

ugh.

jenji

what is it with the mom dreams. i have dreams my mom dies all the time. i think maybe we love them so much it's a strong fear so then it shows up in our dreams.

#45 flutterbye_xo

flutterbye_xo

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:34 AM

Ok so I've been on Effexor for a while. Now if I miss a does I have night terrors so bad I feel crazy when I wake up. It will be a series of terrors and I wake myself up gasping and thrashing and sweating or one really long terror where I have paralysis and finally wake myself up. I'm so freaked out. Does the Effexor make the cataplexy/terrors worse or are they just getting worse over time?!? I'd sure like to know :(

#46 bluestarr78

bluestarr78

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Ok so I've been on Effexor for a while. Now if I miss a does I have night terrors so bad I feel crazy when I wake up. It will be a series of terrors and I wake myself up gasping and thrashing and sweating or one really long terror where I have paralysis and finally wake myself up. I'm so freaked out. Does the Effexor make the cataplexy/terrors worse or are they just getting worse over time?!? I'd sure like to know :(

I don't know as I have not been on medication for any of my N symptoms. But what I do know for sure is that any drugs or various combination of vitamins/minerals/drugs can definitely make the terrors and SP worse. Actually, I have started taking a multivitamin along with a green superfoods and complex animo acids supplement that seem to be helping with the dramatic nature of the sleep/wake border for me. I have felt several times while in this state and aware of it that my soul was pulling out of my body and wanting to dream but I guess we are not Supposed to normally realize that is happening! I also saw Satan in my hallucinations once a few weeks ago before taking these supplements. I still have the SP and HH, but the images are not as utterly disturbing as they were, but much more mild in nature. I wouldn't doubt that the Effexor is affecting your condition.

#47 flutterbye_xo

flutterbye_xo

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

I don't know as I have not been on medication for any of my N symptoms. But what I do know for sure is that any drugs or various combination of vitamins/minerals/drugs can definitely make the terrors and SP worse. Actually, I have started taking a multivitamin along with a green superfoods and complex animo acids supplement that seem to be helping with the dramatic nature of the sleep/wake border for me. I have felt several times while in this state and aware of it that my soul was pulling out of my body and wanting to dream but I guess we are not Supposed to normally realize that is happening! I also saw Satan in my hallucinations once a few weeks ago before taking these supplements. I still have the SP and HH, but the images are not as utterly disturbing as they were, but much more mild in nature. I wouldn't doubt that the Effexor is affecting your condition.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I dreamed I was possessed which may be similar to your dreams. Sometimes I dream I can hear another relm...lol. Crazy stuff!

#48 ibzom

ibzom

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I dont have nightmares throughout my sleep... However right before i am falling asleep i see one of my cats.. She is sitting on my stomach and staring for a sec...then its like a b horror film.. She attacks with a fake set of claws on a handle sort of a modified bat for cats... I normally wake up and make sure it isnt real and try to fall asleep again... Rinse repeat 1 or 2 times before it stops.

Is that normal? Or am i out of my mind...

MV

#49 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I had to post in it.

Most of my dreams are bizarre and unpleasant. They're not always terrifying, but the dreams wake me up multiple times a night, and they're never enjoyable. Most of the dreams, I do not know the people, I have never seen the places, and all of my senses are engaged. There are time where I even feel excruciating body pain or the noise in the dream is so loud, it hurts my ears.

When I tell people about my dreams, they think it is awesome. They tell me to paint the dreams. Honestly, some of the dreams would be amazing paintings, but what they don't understand is that these dreams prevent me from resting well. Every night. I used to keep a dream journal, but I dream every night, multiple times a night. I already wake up from them so why do I need to keep myself awake to write about dreams that have nothing to do with anything in my waking life?

I never get a break. It is exhausting. I go to bed exhausted. I wake up exhausted. I nap and I have vivid dreams. I never get respite from them. I remember most of my dreams at least for 24 hours.

Once in a while, I will have a good dream and I wake up laughing. Those are the best, but unfortunately, they don't happen very often.

#50 doinmdarndest

doinmdarndest

• Banned
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:construction kayaking bowling cool old stuff my wonderful little blonde gal

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

i am a construction worker i have a recurring nightmare.  in it a huge peice of heavy equipment is coming at me too fast for me to avoid being crushed.  i scream but the noise the machine makes is way too loud for the operator to hear me screaming.  then i wake up, right about when i get crushed/killed.  bizzarre, huh?

in real life the operators have a commanding veiw/fisheye mirrors the laborer working very close to the bucket has nothing to fear....this one gets nervous though, always did.

#51 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I haven't had any recurring dreams over time like that. I have, however, had nights where I will have a nightmare, wake up, then go back to sleep and continue the nightmare or repeat it. That has happened multiple times in a night before.

#52 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

doin: That sounds like a scary repeating nightmare!

DeathRabbit:

That has happened to me, too.  It's terrible!

I haven't had a terrifying dream in a while, but I took a really long nap yesterday and had a terrifying dream.  The first half ran into the second half, but the first half was not really related to the second half.  There was a weird transition, though.  The first half of the dream was my normal, surreal, bizarre type of dreaming.  The second half started the same, but ended violently.

Anyway, the dream basically involved these two younger guys who I have never seen confront me about something (I don't remember what) and they were really aggressive.  One of them took my left arm really hard and shoved me.  I felt the pain.  The second guy got in my face and was shouting about something.  I put my arms up to try to move him back, but then he started head butting me.  The pain was excruciating.  He head butt me about 5 times before I woke up.  

I also was falling in and out of sleep at the beginning of my nap and was having crazy SP.  

#53 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Okay, truth telling time here. In most of my nightmares, I am female. I don't know why, but it's always been this way. In a lot of them, friends and family turn on me and try to rape me or kill me. The worst one was when I dreamt I was a girl and my Dad was trying to murder me with a knife, so I got the knife and stabbed him, then just cried in the blood until I woke up.

#54 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

Whoa!  That sounds terrible!

That is interesting about you being a girl in most of your nightmares.  

#55 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:12 AM

Yeah, I dont want to even know what the Freudian differential is on that one lol. In actuality, so many of my dreams are utter nonsense that I put zero stock in dream analysis. My dream world would be a Dadaist's playground if you know what I mean.

#56 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

Being a girl can sometimes be a nightmare, trust me.  :D

My dreams are the same way!  My friends used to encourage me to keep a sleep journal and I tried once, but I had to wake up at least 3 times a night to write down a different, weird dream.  Since I am already exhausted, I just made myself more tired.  

Also, my dreams very rarely make sense so I'm like you:  there is no need to do much analysis on them.  I can sense in the dream when it is something I should pay attention to (like repressed emotions coming out in dream life), but usually they're just like the Beatles "Yellow Submarine" feature film.  They're weird, loud, colorful, not usually pleasant, engage all senses, etc.  I have never tried acid, but I do wonder if my dreams are like bad acid trips.

#57 dormir

dormir

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:24 PM

I accidentally fell asleep during a 15 minute break at work tonight (after taking 30 mg of Ritalin). 

I had a nightmare about being pregnant (I'm not pregnant in real life - this is not a weird or cryptic pregnancy announcement). I was in the hospital about to deliver when the midwife and a nurse tell me that my son will be stillborn. They said there was nothing they could do, so they walked out of the room and started eating popcorn. 

I'm going to interpret the first part not as a cursedly prophetic literal interpretation, but rather symbolically because of some of the feelings I have had over the past few months about life trajectory and trying to process my feelings in waking life. I must not be doing a very good job processing since I'm dreaming about it.

I'm going to interpret the second part of the dream literally because someone woke me up by making microwave popcorn.