Photo

Bad Dreams

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:07 AM

I'm pretty sure I've seen every single person I love be horribly killed in car crashes at one point or another. Usually when I properly wake up I sit up in bed and stare at my boyfriend to make sure he's breathing. I have in the past gone sort of nutters and ripped all the covers off the bed to check for injuries. He was not pleased when he woke up.

Years ago I fell asleep early, with my clothes on, on top on the blankets and my ex tried to take my shoes and jeans off. I was dreaming about being a prisoner in the Congo and I kicked him in the junk. Hard. I felt really bad when I woke up and he told me what happened. But man, I don't ever want to go to the Congo. Oh and I've been beheaded too. Really pleasant. The kidnapping videos from Iraq inspired some yucky things.

#22 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Apr 1 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Water is supposed to be healing... sad.gif

I know, right? Not so much for my mother.

sad.gif

jenji

#23 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

I can remember dreaming about zombies when I was a small child. Long before I ever saw any movies or even knew the concept of Reanimated bodies existed. I must have been like around 4ish. I still have such an insane fear of them that even talking about it sometimes will kick me into Cataplexy. Totally suck.

#24 Mr BluBerry

Mr BluBerry

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

ive also noticed that nightmares, hallucinations and sleep paralysis happen when im under stress, so i just try not 2 have anything in my life that stresses me out, or have a constant form of expression to vent, whether it be poetry, lyrics, music or art.

the more artistic things i do, the less nightmares i have.

i also try to be the best person i can be to keep my conscience clear, because if my conscience is clear, i can rest easy. most people find it hard 2 go sleep when they have done something bad and are feeling guilt. this to us narcoleptics *BEEP* things up a little more than usual.

one of the most frustrating things about nightmares though, is that when i have them, i cant escape them! nowadays i dont really get scared by them and a lot of my dreams turn lucid because i am expecting it, and so i can usually try and wake myself up, but even when i wake up, my eyes open and im in my room, but then when i close my eyes, the dream continues! and then i open my eyes and im in my room, and i close my eyes and the dream continues! and it gets so frustrating because i dont know how to stop it. a lot of the time it results in sleep paralysis.

one strange thing though, is that when this happens and someone comes into my bedroom, i can open my eyes, narrate my dream, then close my eyes, view what happens and then open my eyes and narrate what happens! haha, but then later on in the day i usually forget most of the dreams anyways.

#25 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (drago @ Mar 30 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, if you have religious/spiritual beliefs, prayer/meditation can really help, especially right before bedtime...

I used to pray when I hallucinated... I don't hallucinate much anymore, but back in the pre N diagnoses days I prayed a lot when I was frozen there. I figured it was really the only thing I could do. It did help me too.

Someone told me today that if the temperature in your room is high you're more likely to have nightmares...
I have no idea if it is true or not, but it is interesting if it is true.

#26 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:42 PM

here's a good one.
as all y'all are aware, we can be asleep and dream but think that we are awake... so, 2 days ago, i was on the computer, it's night time, and my dad (who's been dead about 4 yrs) was in my oldest sons room; it was his room. he was sitting on the other side of the bed on the floor doing something with a rollon deodorant bottle to his legs, and i had this ominous feeling... just like wanting to throw up, needing to run away... but nothing was happeing. it was my current house, my deodorant that i use now; just freaky. then i realized that i was not awake, and it was okay. yes, it was wake up time.

hypopompic (sp?) hypnotizing hyperboles.

#27 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Lais02 @ Apr 14 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to pray when I hallucinated... I don't hallucinate much anymore, but back in the pre N diagnoses days I prayed a lot when I was frozen there. I figured it was really the only thing I could do. It did help me too.

Someone told me today that if the temperature in your room is high you're more likely to have nightmares...
I have no idea if it is true or not, but it is interesting if it is true.

yeah, well i'm going to blow that theory right outta the water...
my bedroom is kept at about 52 f.

maybe being off my meds, but i'm having nightmares where i have to turn on the light because i'm getting so scared. happened last night. that was the dream about my daddy.

#28 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

My dreams have just been loud lately. Like TV with the volume turned way up. My dreams are busy but I don't notice the din until I wake up and the music and sound is still running in my head at full blast. I wonder why that is? (anyone else have soundtracks to their dreams?)

#29 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

auditory hallucinations. yes, but not lately. thank god. they drive me the craziest.

#30 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:22 AM

Terrible dream.... I dreampt I was at walmart and suddenly very tired, so I took a nap in one of the dressing rooms. When I got up there was two managers there one was higher ranked than the other, The girl the lower of the two, was going off on me saying I couldnt do that ,and I calmly explained to her, that, oh yes i can better to take a nap than fall into a shelf of stuff I cant afford to replace, and she said I was full of it, and called me the C word and said my parents raised me wrong and I was probably retarded and not narcoleptic at all.....

Anyway her other manager was there just laughing he thought it was funny... He is the one with the higher rank... grrrr. anyway, so I went home and came back with my parents and a lawyer and previously i had gotten the girls name though she lied about it... And the lawyer told them we were suing walmart and the female manager. the girl wasnt there though, we were talking to the guy.... He did the whole start paper work thing with us and Called her on the phone and told her she was fired.

THEN.....

One of their employees got wind of all this and he had narcolepsy too. he showed up and quit and asked my lawyer if he could sue as well. The guy manager was like omg are you serious?!?!?? He was clearly freaking out... while this was going on, my parents had to leave and left me with this other N guy.

soon there was a buzz going around and the store got a weird, everyone is looking at you kind of vibe, and the manager got a phone call he looked at me like he was gonna jump me but since the lawyer was there he didn't. he just went on with paper work very very upset. Then my mom called me on the phone and told me, the girl I just got fired just committed suicide by driving her car into the wall at walmart at full speed. left a note saying it was because of me. (oddly in real life I know some one who did that... except the note part...) so I leaned over and whispered it to my lawyer and he told the other N guy to get me out of here before the press arrived.....

so me and this former employee had to sneak out the back but couldn't because other employees would not let us leave they conviently kept getting in the way.... we ended up going out the front just before the news team showed up. but we had to walk past the wrecked car ......they had pulled her body out and it was lying on the ground, not covered yet.... I was all kinds of cataplectic and he practically had to drag me along. i was crying so hard...So we went to his truck and started driving away.

My mom called again and asked to speak to him because I was hysterical by now.... So I handed him the phone and he was like ok...I'll do that. And hung up . then he looked at me and said I was already getting death threats and he was driving me out of state.... He asked where I wanted to go. And I said " Michigan, I have a friend there... (!!! STU! THAT IS YOU!!!!) anyway we ended up going there and we stayed with Stu and his wife a while and then ended up getting married and buying a house in upper wisconsin. it was like the weirdest ending to a horrible dream.... I have no idea if I won the lawsuit or not or what else happened. I woke up after that.

of course as with all my dreams ,there is much more crazy details, but that is pretty much the important parts.

Narcolepsy sucks.

#31 shallow_water

shallow_water

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:The lights of my life are God,my husband, my sons and of course my dog jake!

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

So strange seeing these dreams all written out always a running movie flick............ weird how growing up I always thought this was normal.

#32 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (shallow_water @ Apr 21 2009, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So strange seeing these dreams all written out always a running movie flick............ weird how growing up I always thought this was normal.

Me too! When I was a kid I even used to have "The End" screens at the end of my dreams like classic movies.

#33 angellus

angellus

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Feeling well.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Apr 21 2009, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Me too! When I was a kid I even used to have "The End" screens at the end of my dreams like classic movies.

lol i had a "FIN" on one of mine

#34 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

I think actually, that a lot of these are normal. It just depends when u have them. Is it during the normal course of night, or is it upon waking/ going to sleep? Everyone has dreams, and dreams can be bizarre. When I think of hallucinations, I thing of the ones that I have that are as I"m waking up (usual time) and it usually involves current environment.

Otherwise, pwn's have dreams like anyone else.

#35 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

im confused. if a person is asleep how can they hallucinate? how u all telling the diff between dreams and halluciinations? i have terrible nightmares that cary on even if i wake up. or i have dreams where i cant wake up out of it bt something awful is happening or i am dying. or if i wake up to fast or am tired ill hear things bt i still dont get how i can hallicinate when im asleep.

#36 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (hathor @ Jun 8 2009, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
im confused. if a person is asleep how can they hallucinate? how u all telling the diff between dreams and halluciinations? i have terrible nightmares that cary on even if i wake up. or i have dreams where i cant wake up out of it bt something awful is happening or i am dying. or if i wake up to fast or am tired ill hear things bt i still dont get how i can hallicinate when im asleep.

When I am having a bad dream, I sometimes wake up from the dream. Usually when someone wakes from a nightmare they calm down and eventually go back to sleep. When I wake up from the nightmare... the nightmare is still going on, only now its in my room and as real as possible. When I was younger I had this happen often, and thank God it doesn't happen often anymore! So anyways now I'm wake in my bed unable to move, and whatever terrible thing was in my dream is in my room. When I was younger I thought I must have been too scared to move, but now I know that I was actually unable to move. My brain thought I was sleeping still, and so it thought I was in REM sleep... where you can only move your eyes.

I hope that helps some.

#37 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Lais02 @ Jun 11 2009, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I am having a bad dream, I sometimes wake up from the dream. Usually when someone wakes from a nightmare they calm down and eventually go back to sleep. When I wake up from the nightmare... the nightmare is still going on, only now its in my room and as real as possible. When I was younger I had this happen often, and thank God it doesn't happen often anymore! So anyways now I'm wake in my bed unable to move, and whatever terrible thing was in my dream is in my room. When I was younger I thought I must have been too scared to move, but now I know that I was actually unable to move. My brain thought I was sleeping still, and so it thought I was in REM sleep... where you can only move your eyes.

I hope that helps some.

afew years ago i was asleep on my couch i was having an awaful dream i the kind where i could hear and feel everything. it was victorian times and a man was behind me and had a knife held in my back. i knew he was going to stab me but i couldnt move to stop it. i sleep with my head back i always have so i was looking at the wall. i could see my wall and my dream bt i really beleived if i fell into the sleep he would stick the knife in bt i couldnt move myself to wake up.i had to just focus on my wall and keep trying to snap out of it. i still remember it so clearly i was so scared. i have dreams similar all the time where the dream is going on around a focus point i can see in my room.so what is that an hallucination or a god awful dream?? i have auditory hallucinations alot so i know what they are i just dont get the diff between dreaming and hallucinations when asleep.

#38 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:37 PM

I wonder, is it "dreaming" if you see things when your eyes are closed?

As an example, I can be sitting on my couch with my eyes closed (totally out of view of the kitchen, the angles of the walls make it physically impossible to see it I checked) and actually SEE the kitchen. I mean, I know my eyes are closed. And if I think about it I do realize that it's not possible. And yet, I can see the kitchen. I usually assume that I'm asleep if this sort of thing happens. But during the kitchen episode I was awake and had a whole discussion with my boyfriend about whether or not it was possible to see the kitchen from where I was. And I know that the events I saw happening in the kitchen didn't really happen.

In a separate but perhaps related story, sometimes I can be doing something and realize I'm dreaming. Like... I can be doing dishes or something like that and realize I'm having a discussion with (insert other dream character here). It's kind of funny. It seems like I'm talking to myself, but in my own little world I'm talking to someone else in a completely different context.

As a teenager in high school I used to think I daydreamed a lot. But I never understood the difference between "daydreaming" and "night dreaming" other than the chronological placement.

Strange the things we think are normal.

Edit: I just remembered that during my MSLT I could "see" the door to the room. With my eyes close while facing the other direction. And at several points I was surfing the web my computer until I realized that no, I was actually in bed with my eyes closed trying to sleep and my computer in its case across the room. And the room didn't even have wireless. But I didn't show any REM episodes. So now I don't know what to think. Thoughts?

#39 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

I find that I have a few dreams where it's like watching a soap opera or reality tv or something. like it wont be a recurring dream, but i'll have a dream with the same people and same ideas or with "memories" that are actually a previous dream i had. like there are five of me, all living different lives, and i tune in every few nights to one of them to see what's going on. very odd

i'm waiting for a f/u with my sleep dr. and im pretty much out of ativan so i've been rationing it. VERY messed up dreams lately.

a few weeks ago i had one that i was driving with my fiance. wierd stuff happened but i'll get to the good part. we got separated (yeah in a car god knows how that happens) and i got to the bridge going into the city first. it was closed off and there were police and firetrucks everywhere, and the whole road was cars with people getting out like in a movie where everyone is just dumbstruck by what's goign on. the river is under the bridge and on one side there are old buildings that go with the backs along the river (same town, but the view for these buildings is from a different bridge in real life). for some reason the backs of the buildings are all falling into the river, and there is stuff on fire, and there are people in the buildings screaming and there is a firetruck with the ladder to one of the buildings and the firemen went up and start pushing people into the river because they can't get them out any other way, and there are people hurling themselves into the river like in the movie titanic... but it's freezing cold and most of them end up freezing or drowning... and on the left of the bridge you can see the river carrying dead bodies and for some reason they are all lined up along the bank of the river as well, some in plastic (not sure why.). i'm talking to one of the people there and saying i have to do something to help im a nurse i can help what can i do?!?!?! and she's saying are ayou aware of "insert wierd name for a disease here", it's very contagious and can cause "insert some wierd *BEEP* that it can cause here i can't remember specifically what it was" and you have to wear this whole getup thing like hazard suit... so im on the sidewalk before the bridge starts bawling my eyes out and horrified and my fiance comes up and i tell him what's going on and he says you ahve to od what you have to do and im like well what about the people down THERE! and point to the people along the river....

so we somehow get to the people and start doing cpr... but we can only do like one or twor eps each then move on to the next because there are so many people... and we cover up the ones that we can't help so they have some dignity... and i find a little kid and she's ok then some other wierd stuff happens but i can't remember from there

haha oh man. well at least i don't need cable for a while. at least at this point, even though im terrifed ir whatever in the dream, i don't usually wake up scared. now it's just like watchin ga really scary movie. i don't usually wake up scared unless i just get a random night terror with no dream that i remember attached, like waking up with my heart pounding for no reason.

fun times lol

#40 Sebastian Sluga

Sebastian Sluga

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:36 PM

my history with nightmares usually have a tendency to bequite horrific in the details of the events, but more so terrifying when i recall what my focus was in the dream and how i was emotionally coping with the experience at the time.

i dream nearly everynight, well some doctors might say we all do, but for me i can say that nearly every morning i recall having dreamt the night before. naps are worse those are my most vivid dreams.
and being here im sure you may be able to deduce that i take alot of naps.

well for my dream.

im not sure how i got to be in the situation but i knew i had to get somewhere and i was driving fast, not speed demon fast, but im pushing being on time for work and ive been late one too many times. but i wasnt alone on the road in other cars, almost like we were going together but unaware of each other as having any kind of relationship was my mother, sisters, cousin who lives in poland, 4 of my friends i havent seen in going on 3 years, my first friend from school, a few of my Sergeants (i am in the military). We were all just going on this road, same way, but like we were all in a trance. my wife who doesnt drive was in the car with me. no radio no music was playing, but it wasnt silent i remember with great detail how i heard the blood in my veins pump, not like when you hold your breath under water after getting your heart rate up, but the barely audible rythm of the expanding and contracting walls as the preasure builds and just barely reduces with the pumping of my heart. I remember hearing the air entering my lungs and going out. my hair moving. the weels on the road, the thousands of explosions ringing through the car from the engine the vibration every peice in the car slightly different with its composition as the car rolls onwards. all of this in real time though, i can recall the sounds individually but in the dream they were each heard equally yet simultaneously and i could remember in great detail of the trees around the road as i cam arround a long curve to the left it felt as if it were in slow motion but i knew i was still moving at a normal speed. It was gray outside like a very rainy evening when you have no idea what time it is by the light outside, all you knew was it wasnt night. I felt calm and focused, i did not feel like i was in a hury or rushed just focused. i came to the end of the curve left when it started turning to the right this time sharper, now here the road looked a little wet and i remember realizing i had over steered and was sliding and would not be able to recover still going the same speed, the road cut into a hill and a wall was holding back the dirtstarting from 20 feet away from the road then coming closer untill the road itself was right up against it. having over steered my car was heading right for it. as i struck everyone else dissapeared and i was alone in my car, now everything was happening in extreme slow motion. i cut out from my own body and watched as the impact sent small little ripples through the body of the car then the folding of the metal and plastic and glass and everything, i remember watching the engine get pushed into the firewall where it stops. the bumper disintigrate. the angle that i hit and the direction of my travel sent my car up into the air a little and rolling i watched as my window shattered next to my head i watched me as i still focused was not scared but intent on survival moving my face out the line of the exploding glass, bracing myself so as to minimize wip lash. the car flipped on its roof and i watched as now the whole front end of the car was just outside my windsheild and approaching me, the roof at the top of the windsheild was now bending down towards me, and right then i thought where is my air bag, it should have deployed by now. in my dream i knew and saw all this detail, saw it slow but still realized reacted and understood the speed of everything, the whole scene might have lasted a few minutes from just driving to airbag, but when i recall the memory of it its like it happened over an hr, but in the dream it fealt like it was all in real time. as i was in the dream i would not have said it had gone into slow motion, only that my perception of detail in those moments had increased, that remember that detail and playing it to myself over again slows it down. like taking motion capture of a bullet then playing it back like anormal reel.