Marcianna

The Great Part About Narcolepsy.

39 posts in this topic

Ok There is alot of people who have such a hard time with this. I understand I have been in that state of mind. Took years to accept who I was really. But I want to try and do a fun little exercise with everyone.

I want you to think of ONE good thing about having Narcolepsy. Even the tiniest thing. No matter how Obscure. Or rediculous.

For every negative there is a positive. So what is yours?

Perhaps we will find we also have alot of positives in common.

And that can help to see things in a diffrent light.

I will go first.

The great thing about having narcolepsy for me is that since I am a night owl, I never got my bra frozen at sleep overs in the junior high for being the first one to fall asleep. (thank God no one did that during the day!)

For me, it comes down to just being able to say...

"Decaf Coffee? Are you out of your mind!?!?!"

For me, it comes down to just being able to say...

"Decaf Coffee? Are you out of your mind!?!?!"

LOL... That is great!

Accually Caffiene makes my EDS worse. (weird) So rather than being a wuss and drinking decaf, I just quit all together.

Which BTW if you don't drink coffee, and have a cup randomly just to look cool, DO go with decaf. Or at least have a toilet handy! Caffiene can be a strong laxitive.

ummmm..... yeah.... I have heard that anyway.... :unsure:

The Dreams......:)

The great part about narcolepsy is that it has forced me to slow myself and my life down. I must live intentionally now to live the life that I actually want. Narcolepsy makes me mindful of the importance of each moment of each day. As a result, I feel more stable and balanced living with my narcolepsy than I every did when I didn't know about it (or was fighting it). Even better though, is the reality that I am just beginning this journey of discovery. While the road may be long, the trip will most certainly be worth it.

If I ever go to prison I'll sleep through it.

I just have to be sure not to drop the soap. :o

The great part about narcolepsy is that it has forced me to slow myself and my life down. I must live intentionally now to live the life that I actually want. Narcolepsy makes me mindful of the importance of each moment of each day. As a result, I feel more stable and balanced living with my narcolepsy than I every did when I didn't know about it (or was fighting it). Even better though, is the reality that I am just beginning this journey of discovery. While the road may be long, the trip will most certainly be worth it.

Excellent answer!

You win 200 NN Gold.

(just kidding I made that up.. ;) heehee!)

If I ever go to prison I'll sleep through it.

I just have to be sure not to drop the soap. :o

It pains me to admit that I know this... But they wont let you sleep through it. They are kinda jerks like that.

wait... ????????????? BE HAVE YOURSELF! duh!

Excellent answer!

The kind compliment is worth WAY more than the NN gold (made up or not). Thanks! Awesome forum idea.

when my mother-in-law is driving me nuts, I pretend (ok, it's usually not pretend) to be asleep ;-)

But seriously, it's really helped me learn to not sweat the small stuff. I used to be an obsessive worrier, and now I've learned that life is too short to worry about things that just don't matter.

Sleeping is how I get through Christmas at the inlaws. I might could fight sleep off if I tried but why would I want to do that? ;)

I've actually thought about not being allowed to sleep through prison time and I came up with a plan to do something really bad and get confined to the "hole." I think (hope) that's what they call it. Right?..

When I first saw this topic on Marcianna's personal info page, I thought it was f'ing sad because I couldn't think of anything positive. But - then I read the post about not ever having had a bra frozen. THANK YOU! I really needed to see the lighter side of things.

Mine? When not on meds, I have AWESOME dreams. On the lighter side of things, well, there are too many one liners that I don't need to get started on. Thanks again!

When I first saw this topic on Marcianna's personal info page, I thought it was f'ing sad because I couldn't think of anything positive. But - then I read the post about not ever having had a bra frozen. THANK YOU! I really needed to see the lighter side of things.

Mine? When not on meds, I have AWESOME dreams. On the lighter side of things, well, there are too many one liners that I don't need to get started on. Thanks again!

lol... you see? Sometimes it is really hard to find the light in the dark, but if you keep looking it will glow!

lol.... my sis just came up with a new pick up line for me:

I will have to use it some day!!!!

"Hey baby, wanna go.... take a nap?"

Hmmm. come to think of it that may be on my new list of Narcolepsy Tshirt idea's.....

lol.... my sis just came up with a new pick up line for me:

I will have to use it some day!!!!

"Hey baby, wanna go.... take a nap?"

Hmmm. come to think of it that may be on my new list of Narcolepsy Tshirt idea's.....

Of course the ever popular...

"Narcoleptics sleep around"...

Or "I like naps"

Of course the ever popular...

"Narcoleptics sleep around"...

Or "I like naps"

lol.... I just put that up on my myspace, the first one...

I saw it on Rachels site and HAD TO HAVE IT!!!! LOL

Wait are you the guy with the tiny penny? that was sooo freakin cool.......

Wait are you the guy with the tiny penny? that was sooo freakin cool.......

huh? I must have missed that too this weekend...

huh? I must have missed that too this weekend...

That would be me... but i changed the trick to make a dime out of the penny... after dropping that little penny and having to crawl around on my hands and knees to find it.. anyway... why not make 9 cents every time...lol

That would be me... but i changed the trick to make a dime out of the penny... after dropping that little penny and having to crawl around on my hands and knees to find it.. anyway... why not make 9 cents every time...lol

I have a picture of you doing that! It was pretty cool!

I am bumping this thread up. This winter has been treachorous to all of us. N or no N. Let get back on the track of thinking positive!

So what is cool about having Narcolepsy?

You can't get addicted to alcohol and most drugs

That is if, a person is a recreational drug user - something I am not.

But at least I know I will never become an alcoholic say ..

Also my Hypnagogic Hallucinations tend to be almost always very interesting.

Never frightening. And even the frightening ones are interesting to watch.

Like watching a horror film but not being scared (but entertained instead)

Again the horror ones are very very very rare.

HH tend to be always PG rated.

The only downside is that my HH often happen when I am too sleepy for me to care about them!

Seldom they happen when I am wide awake and very alert.

But when that happens.

It's better than going to the movies.

Otherwise it's like going to the movies but feeling too sleepy to pay attention and watch the film

Looks like I haven't replied to this one yet so here's mine:

I get to impress people who take recreational drugs when my brain does naturally what they have to break the law to do. Heh.

Plus my N gave me purpose in life when I had none and opened up all sorts of new career opportunities to do serious and exciting things. I have to say, because of my N I have a pretty damned cool job!

AND because of my N, through a long series of random events, I met my current partner. If it weren't for my N, and indirectly because of doctors treating me like dirt, I never would have met him and I wouldn't have our awesome son. Boy, would I be lonely! :P (yes this is actually very indirectly related to the whole PTSD and 'go see a shrink' thing. if that hadn't happened, I wouldn't have the happy family I have today. amazing, huh?)

So...thanks N! :) I wouldn't go back and give it up for anything, even though it makes life hard. Everyone has something and it could be a lot worse! Since I've learned how to live with it, I have to give my N props for the good stuff too.

Wow! These are all way better than me not getting my Bra frozen! lol! Good job! I f it was not for N I would not have met one of my best friend ever. He has been an absolute Rock for me.

It is so awesome to know people who GET it.