Free Bus Pass

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:14 AM

I have just found out that you can get a free bus pass from your local council.

It appears to be for any 'eligible disabled' person
What is 'eligible disabled'?
You are eligible disabled if you:
* are blind or partially sighted
* are profoundly or severely deaf
* are without speech
* have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to walk
* do not have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
* have a learning disability - a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning, or
* would, if you applied for a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, have your application refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness) on grounds other than persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol

I can't drive anymore because of my N symptoms. If you have a letter from the DLA stating that you can't drive because of a condition other than drug and alcohol related you are entiltled to the pass. Or you can get a letter from your GP (on his paper) stating that you can not drive because of your condition. You will need to take with you proof of your address (residence) and they will take your photo free. If you get DLA for high mobility take this letter in as again you are entiltled.

You can look on this website or your own councils and search for 'free bus pass.

http://www.direct.go...ravel/DG_071640

#2 Guest_Ann_*

Guest_Ann_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

I'm applying for this. There's some areas won't accept a letter from your GP. The DVLA told me if you live in one of those places, and you've never had a driving licence you can still get the bus pass if you apply for a provisional licence. The forms are in main post offices. You have to send in a cheque for £50 with the application form, but they give it back to you when you're refused a licence on medical grounds. When they've got your application form that says you fall asleep uncontrollably etc and still want to drive, the DVLA send you another form to tell them more about your medical conditions and contact details for your G.P. and consultants. The DVLA check what you've told them with your doctors, and then send you the letter you need for the bus pass application saying you've been refused a driving licence and give you your 50 quid back. It's a daft and very british amount of faffing about for the same information from the same person, but it'll be worth it. I know people who've got a bus pass that pays for a carer too.

#3 Sam.Toombs

Sam.Toombs

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Interests:I am currently studying International Criminology at Sheffield University here in the UK and however dull that may sound i actually do enjoy it.<br /><br />I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy/Cataplexy when i was about 19 and i do appreciate the friendships across the globe that this has brought me.<br /><br /><br /><br />

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:51 AM

i have this bus pass, it works on all buses throughout england and some trains as well as all trams ... in sheffield that means soemthing but obviously if you do not have trams its pointless.

it is so great though - whenever i am out and feeling sleepy i can get the bus home - i love it!

yes i am thrilled by those kinds of things

Sam

#4 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:34 AM

hi everyone. i found this bit about bus passes ages ago and have just got round to checking it out (everything takes ages due to finding the energy to wake up and move my butt!!). anyway i went into my local council today to enquire about it and all i was told was only people who get higher mobility can get the bus pass. i only get the lower rate so im not entitled. does anyone know a way i might be able to get round this. there is no way i would be able to drive i cant stand up hardly when im tired because i shake and cant open my eyes. ive never figured out if this is the narcolepsy or the cataplexy i think it could be both. im not even suppost to travel on buses myself because of falling asleep on them. if i have been shopping in the town centre for example i always drop my purse and what ever is in my hands. i used to live in a bad part of manchester. one day i had an appointment at the hospital with the neurologist. i fell alseep and missed my stop and ended up in a very rough area after dark. anyway i use buses now but only to get to where i am going if im alone and then friends take me home so i dont fall asleep on the buses.
i know i am ranting now but it really annoyed me at the council today. if i could get the higher rate of mobility i would be able to afford bus travel anyway!!!!

#5 too exhausted

too exhausted

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

I don't get any mobility from the DLA. I handed in my driving licence because of falling asleep at the wheel and I was told the DVLA were supposed to inform me that I can get a free bus pass as I can not drive due to my condition. I found this information out myself last year. I went to my GP who wrote a letter stating that I am unable to drive because of my N & C and this is all I took with me to the council offices. Hope this answers your question.

#6 hathor

hathor

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:i have lots of interest. i love history, movies, books (stephen king,dean koontz and barbera erskine are my favs), my dogs, travel.

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

thanks that does help. im gonna e-mail the council now and enquire because the woman just didnt give me chance to explain. she isnt that nice a person i have dealt with her before for other things so i knew i couldnt explain to her. im gonna go see my doc aswell.