• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:43 PM

What other weird brain mishaps do we as humans have?

Anyone know anyone else with any of these?

Here is my submission. I heard about it on TV. Here is the wiki definition:

Synesthesia
(also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae or synaesthesiae)—from the Ancient Greek σύν (syn), meaning "with," and αἴσθησις (aisthēsis), meaning "sensation" — is a neurologically-based phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme → color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored, while in ordinal linguistic personification, numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities. In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a (three-dimensional) view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise). Yet another recently identified type, visual motion → sound synesthesia, involves hearing sounds in response to visual motion and flicker.

#2 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

most people suffering from synesthesia won't regard it as a disease but a blessing.

there is only one problem i find it with synesthesia - and the reason i wouldn't like to be born with it (even though it's fun fun fun) ... from the programs I've seen the individuals seem too content with the affliction - the hallucinogenic world they experience becomes so part of their nature, they don't feel inclined to transmit it across and when they try they do it very poorly (with no polish). The drive of creativity is lost - because creativity is effort; creativity/imagination is when two people don't see one thing; but one person will try hard to reach a fantastic place outside the realm of normal experience, when he is back he will then try and depict that experience in a "layman" language so others that also don't usually see such things, can picture the experience much much better.

We are all synesthesic to some degree (even if 0.1%) but we have to work hard with our brains to make that flourish even only temporarily. And when we do - we take notes, we draw, we paint, we draft reshuffle reorganize - compose restructure and so on; we mould it in a way so that it can be accessible to the external non-imaginative world.

It's a bit like if you were born experiencing ultimate bliss, you may not feel that bothered to share the sensation with other - not because you are selfish or don't care, but because you either assume everyone is the same or can't even envisage a world without bliss.

Everyone is a synesthesic. There are exercises that prove that.

The common expression "I feel blue" comes from a person that experienced sadness as blue in color. Which is weird because when I feel blue (serotonin-depletion) - I experience dark-orange. When I am blissed-out I may experience vibrant blue.
I am not synesthesic - but again, everyone has that - only tiny weeny but if you concentrate you can pick out subtle associations like that.

Although not strictly a synesthesic one person I admire was William Blake. He had vivid hallucinations and he really worked hard to transmit across (via poetry and drawing) what he saw, experienced, etc

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 31 2008, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thousands and some are really really scary.

But what I would be interested would be on the weird brain mishaps - just like synethesia - which instead of giving pain to the individual mostly gives entertainment and pleasure. Or helps him with things - like photographic memory for example. Is it really a Still image they can zoom in and out etc?

Me wonders

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 31 2008, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyone know anyone else with any of these?

Here is my submission. I heard about it on TV. Here is the wiki definition:

Synesthesia
(also spelled synæsthesia or synaesthesia, plural synesthesiae or synaesthesiae)�"from the Ancient Greek σύν (syn), meaning "with," and αἴσθησις (aisth�"sis), meaning "sensation" �" is a neurologically-based phenomenon in which stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway. In one common form of synesthesia, known as grapheme �' color synesthesia or color-graphemic synesthesia, letters or numbers are perceived as inherently colored, while in ordinal linguistic personification, numbers, days of the week and months of the year evoke personalities. In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a (three-dimensional) view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise). Yet another recently identified type, visual motion �' sound synesthesia, involves hearing sounds in response to visual motion and flicker.

#3 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (Henry G @ Aug 31 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
most people suffering from synesthesia won't regard it as a disease but a blessing.

there is only one problem i find it with synesthesia - and the reason i wouldn't like to be born with it (even though it's fun fun fun) ... from the programs I've seen the individuals seem too content with the affliction - the hallucinogenic world they experience becomes so part of their nature, they don't feel inclined to transmit it across and when they try they do it very poorly (with no polish). The drive of creativity is lost - because creativity is effort; creativity/imagination is when two people don't see one thing; but one person will try hard to reach a fantastic place outside the realm of normal experience, when he is back he will then try and depict that experience in a "layman" language so others that also don't usually see such things, can picture the experience much much better.

We are all synesthesic to some degree (even if 0.1%) but we have to work hard with our brains to make that flourish even only temporarily. And when we do - we take notes, we draw, we paint, we draft reshuffle reorganize - compose restructure and so on; we mould it in a way so that it can be accessible to the external non-imaginative world.

It's a bit like if you were born experiencing ultimate bliss, you may not feel that bothered to share the sensation with other - not because you are selfish or don't care, but because you either assume everyone is the same or can't even envisage a world without bliss.

Everyone is a synesthesic. There are exercises that prove that.

The common expression "I feel blue" comes from a person that experienced sadness as blue in color. Which is weird because when I feel blue (serotonin-depletion) - I experience dark-orange. When I am blissed-out I may experience vibrant blue.
I am not synesthesic - but again, everyone has that - only tiny weeny but if you concentrate you can pick out subtle associations like that.

Although not strictly a synesthesic one person I admire was William Blake. He had vivid hallucinations and he really worked hard to transmit across (via poetry and drawing) what he saw, experienced, etc

Thousands and some are really really scary.

But what I would be interested would be on the weird brain mishaps - just like synethesia - which instead of giving pain to the individual mostly gives entertainment and pleasure. Or helps him with things - like photographic memory for example. Is it really a Still image they can zoom in and out etc?

Me wonders

Awesome I am kinda glad you were able to bring this more to light, From what I got on TV it was the weirdest thing in the world and terribly inconvient..... yet that is what they say about us also.... so I really should know better!!!

#4 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Oct 7 2008, 08:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I got on TV it was the weirdest thing in the world and terribly inconvient..... yet that is what they say about us also.... so I really should know better!!!

lol... we all should know better! smile.gif