• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nyemvula

nyemvula

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:music, theater, God

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

Ok I wasn't really sure how to title this, but hopefully some of you will understand what I'm saying and can help me out. I'm currently 18 and out of high school, but I'm not going to college for at least another year or so because of expenses (and indecision on my part) but I'm pretty sure under Pennsylvania law as soon as I turn 19 (in December) I will no longer be covered under my parents medical insurance because I am not a full-time student. My question is, is there any way because of the narcolepsy that my coverage can be expanded or something? I am currently "working" as an intern with Pure Freedom Ministries, and then in November will be looking for a paying job, but still it wouldn't be anything that would give me insurance. Most if not all of my prescriptions are generic brands so they are cheaper, but still, my family is on a really tight budget, with my older sister in college and my two younger sisters still in elementary and middle school. Please if anyone knows of anything that might help I would greatly appreciate it!! We haven't filed for social security, and I guess we're just trying to put that off unless we absolutely need it. So yea, if anyone knows anything that could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks! God Bless!

#2 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (nyemvula @ Aug 29 2008, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok I wasn't really sure how to title this, but hopefully some of you will understand what I'm saying and can help me out. I'm currently 18 and out of high school, but I'm not going to college for at least another year or so because of expenses (and indecision on my part) but I'm pretty sure under Pennsylvania law as soon as I turn 19 (in December) I will no longer be covered under my parents medical insurance because I am not a full-time student. My question is, is there any way because of the narcolepsy that my coverage can be expanded or something? I am currently "working" as an intern with Pure Freedom Ministries, and then in November will be looking for a paying job, but still it wouldn't be anything that would give me insurance. Most if not all of my prescriptions are generic brands so they are cheaper, but still, my family is on a really tight budget, with my older sister in college and my two younger sisters still in elementary and middle school. Please if anyone knows of anything that might help I would greatly appreciate it!! We haven't filed for social security, and I guess we're just trying to put that off unless we absolutely need it. So yea, if anyone knows anything that could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks! God Bless!

It's really smart to start looking now! If you let your coverage lapse for more than 30 days(Penn might be diff) you then have to worry about pre-existing conditions which wont be covered for 1 year. Try looking into what your local govt offers for young adults. I don't know if Social Security is an option if your not disabled. If money is a concern than a individual plan might cost to much but look into it since you never know what you might find. Good luck!

#3 wardbennett

wardbennett

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (nyemvula @ Aug 29 2008, 12:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure under Pennsylvania law as soon as I turn 19 (in December) I will no longer be covered under my parents medical insurance because I am not a full-time student.

Double check that, would you? That used to be the case with our insurance company, Blue Cross Blue Shield, but several years ago they changed the rule from having to be a full-time college student to covered up to age 24.

My son, now a sophomore in college, took a year out between high school and college. He remained covered under our family plan and will do so until he turns 24.

Good luck!