New Jersey Support Group

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Katlynran

Katlynran

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

NAPS, Narcolepsy Association of Philadelphia and Suburbs is a support group that started 25 years ago in Philadelphia & Suburbs. I took it over a few years back.

I struggle with scheduling meetings and sending out notices, finding a topic or a speaker. I am not a professional support group leader, just another person with N. If anyone would like to contribute, has ideas or a speaker that can inform and educate a group, let me know! I get e-mails from new people and I feel bad when I don't have a scheduled meeting to tell them about. My goal is to have meetings quarterly at the very least. Let me know if you can help, or want to be added to the announcement list.
Kathleen

#2 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE (Katlynran @ Aug 26 2008, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
NAPS, Narcolepsy Association of Philadelphia and Suburbs is a support group that started 25 years ago in Philadelphia & Suburbs. I took it over a few years back.
Let me know if you can help, or want to be added to the announcement list.

Hi Kathleen, I don't have a lot of expertise, or ideas, but would be happy to help you with notifying people etc. I found the couple of meetings you had that I was able to attend to be very helpful in learning about narcolepsy. (I'm the mom w/o N) Definitely keep me on the list.
Sue

#3 Katlynran

Katlynran

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE (merrymom1013 @ Sep 1 2008, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Kathleen, I don't have a lot of expertise, or ideas, but would be happy to help you with notifying people etc. I found the couple of meetings you had that I was able to attend to be very helpful in learning about narcolepsy. (I'm the mom w/o N) Definitely keep me on the list.
Sue

Thanks Sue I appreciate the support! -K

#4 duff8

duff8

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Travel

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

Kathleen,

I will be glad to do another meeting. Count me in. I get such joy from all those who attend. How about November 5, 2008 6:30-8:00 pm ET. We can pick the Echelon Library if you would like, or here, or where ever. Let me know what you need.

Duff8

#5 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:57 PM

Hi Kathleen,
Life is surprising. I will skip the long story that led up to this, but my daughter, who had no interest in attending a support group meeting, would now like to organize a meeting & get the local group going again. Partly because she is finally coping better, feeling better & able to acknowledge who she is rather than wishing for the kid who never got narcolepsy, lyme & everything else. Partly because I think she would like more stuff to put on college applications... She's thinking she could get something organized for September- right after everyone gets finished with summer activities. Would you be interested/willing to sharing info with her if she lines up the time, place, does the contacting people etc?
Sue

#6 Kathleen

Kathleen

• Root Admin
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

Absolutely! My life has become overwhelmed and I am not able to volunteer all that much anymore. I would be glad to see something happen, there really is a need. I will e-mail you so we can hook up! I am sure that Tricia would be up for it too. ~Kathleen

#7 Mrs. Bento

Mrs. Bento

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

These replies and posts are so outdated, I fear no reply. However, I will try an hope for more information. Please send me any announcements about meetings etc. I live in New Jersey and am yet to meet anyone else with Narcolepsy.

Lisa Bento

#8 tjm2010

tjm2010

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

These replies and posts are so outdated, I fear no reply. However, I will try an hope for more information. Please send me any announcements about meetings etc. I live in New Jersey and am yet to meet anyone else with Narcolepsy.

My name is Tom and live in Bayonne- where are you?

Lisa Bento

#9 Mrs. Bento

Mrs. Bento

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

I work in Newark but live in Kenilworth, NJ. Hello Tom.

#10 yesyesyooo

yesyesyooo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

i have yet to find anyone else with narcolepsy, i live in levittown, about 5 mins from trenton

#11 Mrs. Bento

Mrs. Bento

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

Well hello there! It's official. There are at least three of us here in Jersey as well as on the Narcolepsy Network. :o) Have any of us been to the local support group meetings? I for one am interested in attending but have no idea when or where they are. I also have no idea who to ask. What are your thoughts, fellow New Jerseyans?

#12 yesyesyooo

yesyesyooo

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

i have yet to find one, if you do i would like to know when & where

#13 Contemplative

Contemplative

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:Writing, exercising, socializing, coloring mandalas, research, online shopping without ever checking out. Well, OK, almost never. Practicing radical acceptance and just letting go.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Hi, Tom, Lisa, Kathlyn, Sue and everyone else....I live in Highland Park, NJ right near New Brunswick. I've attended many other support groups in my day for other comorbid issues and been on the Board of Directors for the Eating Disorder Association of NJ and have some leadership skills but mostly I just want to be social. Human interaction is my natural stimulant. Would love just to get together as people who cared about one another's journeys. Even if we can't make it in person, though preferable, perhaps a weekly or biweekly conference call would be great. Let me know. Wishing you all the best.

Contemplative (aka Donna)

#14 Tre

Tre

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Video games, Warmachine/Hordes, Knitting, Board Games, Hiking, Foreign Languages, Biology, Math

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

Hello my name is Tre. I live in South Jersey near Cherry Hill. Driving is an issue atm but with my husband and helpful inlaws anything is possible. I would love to help pull off a meeting. Missing my teaching job and with Cherry Hill Library, Maple Shade Library and Pennsauken Library fairly close I'm sure I could find a location for Philly/SJ area. Seeing doc at einstein who wants me to see one at Jeff as well. He is familiar with the group and may be of assistance.

#15 CBetts85

CBetts85

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

I am located 5 miles from the bergen county boarder. I just started my own group in the nearby area looking for others who are diagnosed with N. Please check it out, and I hope you decide to join! http://www.meetup.co...somnia-Network/

#16 Tre

Tre

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Video games, Warmachine/Hordes, Knitting, Board Games, Hiking, Foreign Languages, Biology, Math

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Signed up.  It's a little farther but I am desperate to talk to someone else with N.  Never met one...Even if we could get live chat on NN that would be something.

#17 Tre

Tre

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

So I want to try to at least try to get one meetup together to see if there is interest for a PA/NJ/DE group.  After much thought the Voorhees Town Center Food Court might be a good place to meet.  It used to be the Echelon Mall with Patco nearby and buses running regularly.  (http://voorheestowncenter.com/)  If this proves to be a good area we could look at reserving space at the library across the way.  This would just be an informal meetup to meet each other.  We could discuss further meetings (where, when, and what) if people are inclined.

If you want to attend please answer any or all of the following questions either in a reply or by emailing tre_brat@yahoo.com with Narcolepsy Meetup in the subject line.

1.  Can you meet us in the early afternoon on Saturday March 16 or March 23rd?

2.  Are you interested in regular in person meetups?  If so how often?

I will post this in a few places and see if there is feedback.  If you reply or email me I will be sure to get a date and time to you.

#18 Kathleen

Kathleen

• Root Admin
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Sent you a message Tre! Maybe we can revive the narcolepsy support group in South Jersey. :D