A Narcolepsy Career Path

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dragonfly26

dragonfly26

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:00 AM

I graduated in 2003 with a criminal justice certificate. I was only at the beginning of a five year nightmare. Cataplexy attacks were not yet regular and my eds was of course..... Depressed, laziness, you know everyone has a diagnoses. After taking the journey alone to a private sleep clinic and twelve hundred Dallas later I was diagnosed April 2007 with Cataplexy/ Narcolepsy. I will not forget the doctors words. " I have no doubt. You have Narcolepsy." So I sit here one year later wondering why I still can't figure things out. Medicated cataplexy is some what controlled. EDS is guaranteed morning noon and night. I lose facial Musial tone in any emotional change and all Musial tone when excited or nervous mostly laughter. So what now would I do if I moved on to my diploma? I have been struggling wondering what career path is possible. I am tired of felling like a burden to society. As a single mother how do I balance a career and find the time to be a wake with my children? It feels like on or the other. Can anyone give me advice or encouragement I feel Depression is a narcolepsy side effect.

Thank you everyone

#2 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (dragonfly26 @ Aug 24 2008, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I graduated in 2003 with a criminal justice certificate. I was only at the beginning of a five year nightmare. Cataplexy attacks were not yet regular and my eds was of course..... Depressed, laziness, you know everyone has a diagnoses. After taking the journey alone to a private sleep clinic and twelve hundred Dallas later I was diagnosed April 2007 with Cataplexy/ Narcolepsy. I will not forget the doctors words. " I have no doubt. You have Narcolepsy." So I sit here one year later wondering why I still can't figure things out. Medicated cataplexy is some what controlled. EDS is guaranteed morning noon and night. I lose facial Musial tone in any emotional change and all Musial tone when excited or nervous mostly laughter. So what now would I do if I moved on to my diploma? I have been struggling wondering what career path is possible. I am tired of felling like a burden to society. As a single mother how do I balance a career and find the time to be a wake with my children? It feels like on or the other. Can anyone give me advice or encouragement I feel Depression is a narcolepsy side effect.

Thank you everyone

Sometimes it seems like the journey STARTS after we get diagnosed...at least half of it. You have your certificate in criminal justice. You've been properly diagnosed. Your cataplexy is under control with meds. Your a single Mom...NONE of these things scream burden to society if you ask me!

Take a step back and look at what you've done! AND you did it all with a stupid condition! Think about these things, and how amazing these accomplishments are.

Consider allowing yourself to feel what it's like to feel the joy of working and being the great Mom you can be. Even though you might not be employed, allowing yourself to enjoy what it will be like has great benefits. Imagine not only being able to balance the roles of Mom and Professional, but MASTERING it. smile.gif

Looking at what you've done so far, it sounds like there's boundless possibilities inside of you.

Ever hear someone say, "I can't even begin to imagine...."
Those are the people who don't.

Begin to imagine, and NEVER STOP! Be open to a change that could be slightly different than what you are picturing...Allow yourself to become part of something bigger than you can imagine. Imagine being fullfilled in your soul with perfect content, and then always try to "top it". Where the soul goes, the body gravitates towards...

What we think about, we bring about.

#3 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:18 PM

Congratulations on earning your diploma, and on being a great mom!

You have a lot of options. Many people have found that jobs that allow them to set their own hours or work from home are ideal. With a certificate in criminal justice, could you become a kind of internet "private eye" reseraching and finding people, money, etc???

From a school perspective, if there are many environmental stimuli that cause cataplexy and your EDS is unpredictable, you could always enroll in online degree programs that allow you to complete your assignments any time within a given week - again, from the comfort of your own home.

Just a couple of ideas. I feel the depression too; I was working full-time before I was diganosed (and not doing much of anything else). Had to take some time off to get my meds right once I was diagnosed, and went back part-time. I finally got back up to full-time hours (with some energy left over for life) and they laid me off. Argh!

You have done so much already and have great potential!

QUOTE (dragonfly26 @ Aug 24 2008, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you everyone

#4 jlossrn

jlossrn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Living life with my eyes wide open. Sometimes. Lol

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

Sounds like your cataplexy is not under control. Talk to your doc about either adding a med like an anti depressant if your not already on one. Those can help. If you are on one. Have you tried, Xyrem. Not really sure what your on or have tried but if your still having problems then you need to discuss trying a different med with you doc. Not sure if that came out right. lol Good Luck.

Jeff

#5 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 09:04 PM

SIGH I am struggling very much with this myself. I originally went to college for art and graphic design. I left b/c I didn't like the advertising stuff, there is this whole world that irks me, but I won't get into that right now smile.gif So then I was going to do massage therapy, which was so ridiculous, I'm the biggest germaphobe I know. People would laugh when I'd tell them that I was considering it.

So then I did billing and coding for the medical field. It was a year long program, and I thought okay I can do this and then I'll get a normal job, and then I'll go back to school for psychology/neuroscience. I am highly interested in this sort of thing. Well, I haven't been able to get a job doing billing or coding, and it's been a freaking year! I don't know if I'd even be any good at it now... Ugh... I'm forgetting all my med terms too. Plus going back to college is just no longer an option. I couldn't handle working and school. There is no way. I'm just too tired. I barely made it through the programs I did as it is, and a lot of that involved me skipping class to sleep.

I've always wanted to be a writer, and I've always loved writing. I've been planning on writing books for so long. I'm finally doing it, but it's hard having N, you know...and working a regular job. Which the job I work at is great and all, I love everyone there and it's pretty free. No one kills me for being late everyday and they let me leave early. This would be a dream to keep for while I write my book... but the thing is, this is a temp job. I've had it since oct last year though lol.. I'm so worried about when this job ends. Will the next assignment understand? Will I be able to do it? I can barely stay awake, and being tired makes me grumpy. Sometimes I can't stand to talk to people and if the wrong person talks to me the wrong way... I don't think I could ever work in customer service again... and thank god the job I'm at now is free of customers.

I don't know what to do. I think it's my whole artistic/rebellious personality that makes me hate the cookie cutter lifestyle so much... not to mention i have a disorder that could make me drop out at any given moment without real warning. I am so worried, but I just try not to think about it.

I'm really happy for you that you've been able to do the whole college thing. I know it's very hard, but if you can get through it, maybe you can get through the rest? The hardest part is not knowing if you'll get worse or how quickly your downfalls might progress. I guess life is hard no matter who you are or what condition you have.

I don't agree with the way we live as humans, I think it all needs to be rewritten... Not like that'll ever happen, so what do we do? How do we live? Especially when we aren't taken seriously enough and are belittled.

I need an answer too. I wish I knew what you could do.

I honestly think my life is to publish this book, and other books as well! It's just hard getting past this part of it. I have faith in myself though, and I have faith in you too! You're doing a great job! I'm sure you will continue to do so smile.gif

#6 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:31 PM

Well, with a criminal justice background, you could always become a Legal Assistant for a criminal defense attorney or something. Then your C wouldn't be such a big deal, sitting at a desk all day. Just a thought, anyway...I used to do it and I found it extremely interesting. I just had no desire to become an attorney and I was actually studying to become a scientist, so eventually I moved on to research.