Wacky Glossary

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

OK, for a while I've been meaning to compile this.

Call me mad, but sometimes we need to sort out a game out of a particular condition. Imagination to at least make it a bit more bearable. I've began coining words and phrases; some perhaps too Henry-specific and possibly not widely applicable to others (but who knows)

Some are by no mean unique, some are stolen / plagiarized, some are standard also but am adding as well to make the whole thing layman-friendly (ie those non-N's) and complete.

Hence I will share my list, my Glossary of Narco-terms. Enjoy tongue.gif

N: short hand for Narcolepsy or Narcoleptics. N's denote the plural.

EDS: Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. See also Narco-Attack.

Narco-scale: This is a scale from 1 to 5 to denote the intensity of an EDS episode.
In the scale 1 denotes absolutely no sleepiness whatsoever and 5 denotes sleepiness so intense you are basically frightenly ground to a halt. Narco-scales 1 and 5 are often very rare episodes.

Sleep-Attack: A bout of EDS. Usually this word is used to mean a surprise, everything seemed normal and then all of a sudden you experience an unprovoked Sleep-Attack. The Narco-Scale needs to be greater or equal to 4 to make the episode truly classify as a "Sleep-Attack"

Narco-spell: A prolonged episode of EDS that doesn't just last hours but days; or chronically recurring that last for weeks. There is nothing you can do but just pray it goes away soon.

Narco-storm: same as Narco-spell.

Narco-Shy: The psychology of not doing something or commiting to something because of one's own fear of the unpredictability of N. "I didn't phone her up because I felt 'Narco-Shy'". "Narco-shyness goes against my ambition to write".
Narco-shyness alludes to a real term known as "Love-Shy".
Love-Shy is a person who avoids romantic situations in fear of getting hurt, etc.

Blues-Attack: Denotes a bout of Depression, usually chemically oriented ie serotonin-depletion. The term "attack" means the person wasn't aware of it's coming, it happened all of a sudden, often defying all logic or reason "There seemed to no reason but it happened"

Sleep-fatigue: A misnomer. An abbreviated way of saying "feeling intense fatigue due to lack of sleep". When the subject gets not sleep or very poor sleep he suffers from exacerbated N conditions.

HH - Hypnagogic Hallucations.

Hypnagogic Feedback (HF). A loose term to denote the practice of using one's own HH experience to their advantage. For example, if the subject needs to imagine a new design concept he might try and force his HH to draw different images to him. HF also alludes to the seemingly "psychic" effect of having one's HH "tainted" by another person. For example, say you meet a person and get pretty close - then you lie down and have a rest, the HH appears somewhat different and then you realize it is sending you "feedbacks" on the impression of the person met.

Hunger-Strike: The condemned practise of fasting in order to diminish the effects of N.

Karmic-Ripples: Unrelated to N. But the effect that one's action creates ripples, and you revisit the same situation again and again but with lesser intensity each time.

Karma-whoring: Plagiarized term. But in Henry's world signify doing good for the purpose of collecting more good - which in a way it's not really good (but not wholly bad)

Karma-Plane: Who you know and related to - shows where you are at.

Karma-Sphere: Same as Karma Plane. Although Karma-Sphere alludes more to the circle of friends and acquaintances where as Karma-Plane your field of action.

Karma-Leap: When you no longer act on the same Karma-Sphere / Plane but jumped to another level (higher, lower, or just simply different)

Second-wind: Borrowed term that signifies almost the same thing. But Henry-specifically notifies the sudden "waking up" (Narco-rate: 1) triggered by survival instinct. See also Kamikaze Behaviour.

THe Narco Imperative: A set of dreamed-up rules, strategies and techniques to best deal with Narcolepsy. To become efficient.

Narco-Block: Akin to "Writer's Block" not being able to do something as effortlessly, brilliantly or efficiently because of N symptoms. The Narco Imperative states: "If Narco-Block stops an individual from performing a deed. May he never succumb to Narco-Shyness because ultimately the deed can still be met in time. Even if revisted N times"

OK enough of the Glossary for the time being. I will revisit it (if only N times)
But for now enough of my Narco-madness.

ttfn

#2 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Henry G @ Aug 22 2008, 05:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THe Narco Imperative: A set of dreamed-up rules, strategies and techniques to best deal with Narcolepsy. To become efficient.

I think I just found the new name for my band! smile.gif

Great list! Anyone care to add?

#3 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:07 PM

Karma whoring! that is hilarious!

I am so going to stat saying that!

#4 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

My contribution:

Hysterical Blindness -- another name for Cataplexy, brought on by hysterical laughter.

#5 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

This is what my nephew was taught to call my symptoms...

Marcia-naps (sleep attacks)
or
Marcia-Booms (cataplexy)
or
Marcia-zone (automatic behavior)

Clearly I am so awesome that all these thins should be named after me right?

#6 maggie

maggie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Sep 8 2008, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is what my nephew was taught to call my symptoms...

Marcia-naps (sleep attacks)
or
Marcia-Booms (cataplexy)
or
Marcia-zone (automatic behavior)

Clearly I am so awesome that all these thins should be named after me right?

#7 maggie

maggie

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

Awesome way to term it!!! I love it.

#8 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

Piff - Forgot what I was talking about in mid-sentance. Oh, I hate when... uh, wait...

Loopin' - Forgot that I did something, and so I do it again, and to make sure I didn't forget, I do it again, and when I forget that I did something, I do it again ..

#9 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ Sep 9 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Piff - Forgot what I was talking about in mid-sentance. Oh, I hate when... uh, wait...

Loopin' - Forgot that I did something, and so I do it again, and to make sure I didn't forget, I do it again, and when I forget that I did something, I do it again ..

Are you related to Santa? He checks his list twice also you know.... put in a good word for me will ya? I was kinda naughty this year, I could use the reference.... wink.gif

#10 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

I am scribbling a grey book The Narco Imperative

this is from the very beggining - still a draft.
But the message conveyed is - drafts are optimal.

Section 1 - Conserving Mental Energy

[1:1]

Always seek the Path of Least Resistance
Scribbling innegibly -
Sure it will still make sense
Even to a clueless self.

[1:2]

Save Perfectionism
For only when truly
or better put strictly -
Only Be Pedantic when.

[1:3]

Observe
Your brain lost energy
Time is precious
Mind very precious,
Joy is Energy.

---

Thus ends the Chapter:
Conserving Mental Energy.
From the Lore: The Narco Imperative.
Compiled by Sage: Nimbulus Cumulus Clouds.
Revised by Master:
Awkae
Awakake Junior

I will move it to a new topic - I've burnt out blink.gif zzzzzzz ....