Should I Use A High Risk Ob/gyn?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Snoozer

Snoozer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:34 AM

I have narcolepsy with cataplexy. My husband and I are going to start trying to get pregnant in the near future. I'm not sure if I need to see a high risk OB/GYN or not. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? Thank you!

#2 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Well.. consdering that you will likely have to go off all of your meds once you are pregnant, I would consider a high-risk OB/GYN if you think you will be falling down a lot due to cataplexy, or not awake enough to keep up with the proper levels of eating and physical activity. If you have severe cataplexy and there is the possibility that you might experience it while in the pain and emotion of labor, that's probably another consideration.

My employer had a "healthy pregnancy" program as part of our health benefits -- you might want to look into this.

Good luck, what an exciting time for the two of you!

--

QUOTE (Snoozer @ Aug 13 2008, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have narcolepsy with cataplexy. My husband and I are going to start trying to get pregnant in the near future. I'm not sure if I need to see a high risk OB/GYN or not. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions? Thank you!

#3 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Snoozer @ Aug 13 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you have trouble breathing during your cataplexy I would think about seeing one. I myself do not have children, but I cant imagine that lack of oxygen to your child would be good.

other than that I think Kimberly pretty much nailed it.

Good luck!!!!

#4 Snoozer

Snoozer

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Kimberly @ Aug 13 2008, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well.. consdering that you will likely have to go off all of your meds once you are pregnant, I would consider a high-risk OB/GYN if you think you will be falling down a lot due to cataplexy, or not awake enough to keep up with the proper levels of eating and physical activity. If you have severe cataplexy and there is the possibility that you might experience it while in the pain and emotion of labor, that's probably another consideration.

My employer had a "healthy pregnancy" program as part of our health benefits -- you might want to look into this.

Good luck, what an exciting time for the two of you!

--

Thank you so much for your suggestion. It makes a lot of sense!