Narcolepsy And Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 SillyBrain

SillyBrain

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

Just out of curiosity...what about drug testing on those Narcoleptics who are taking amphetamines as stimulants...doesn't all of your list apply to those people too?????

If you did show a positive for amphetamine, you would either receive a call or have to call the company that gave you the drug test and talk with a Medical Review Officer to verify that you actually have a prescription.

#62 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:18 PM

Going back to the personal experiences, I personally do not like the feeling THC gives me. The first time I was high, I was paralyzed on the floor for a good amount of time before sleeping it off. I'm not sure if that would be my first cataplexy experience, as it did last a lot longer (like an hour or so) than normal episodes would. Any calming/relaxing agents, I avoid, even if I desperately would love to completely veg out. Any time I touch one, I'm too far gone for my own good.

Have you been diagnosed with cataplexy yet? I get confused when you talk about cataplexy. I cannot tell if you have it or you think you have it.

#63 Kriqit

Kriqit

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Interests:Learning.
    Science.
    History.
    Computers.
    Senseless stuff.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Well, they're treating me for it, but they want a sleep study to confirm. Which I'm stuck waiting for another month.

#64 Hank

Hank

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

Good for you. You are headed in the right direction.

How did you manage to get a clinical diagnosis of cataplexy? How is it being treated?

#65 Kriqit

Kriqit

• Members
  • 132 posts
    Science.
    History.
    Computers.
    Senseless stuff.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

I went over most of that in another post:
http://forums.narcol...a/?fromsearch=1

#66 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

Kriqit...knee buckling is how my C started. So, what were your emotional triggers to cause it?

You are now on Adderall to control your EDS and Imipramine (Tofranil) to control the Cataplexy...and you feel better. I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE that it stays that way for you.That's how I started out in '86 except substitute Ritalin for the Adderall. And I had the psg/mslt BEFORE any medication...and you should be clean of all medication before taking those tests too. DAMN BUT THERE'S A REALLY BAD ECHO ON THIS FORUM. 

Here's some personally experienced warnings for you...

1) Do not ever stop Imipramine cold turkey...you will experience the worst rebound cataplexy possible. Buckling knees is a walk in the park by comparison.

2) Watch out also for weight gain on Imipramine...about 10 pounds a month...and don't assume that it will come off if you stop the med.

3) I hope you have someone close to you who knows you well enough to recognize IF you go off the rails on this combo...I'm talking about irritability, short fused anger and losing your temper very easily about nothing much at all.

These things may not happen to you at all. This is just a warning to be aware...'cuz they sure as hell happened to me.

#67 Kriqit

Kriqit

• Members
  • 132 posts
    Science.
    History.
    Computers.
    Senseless stuff.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:43 AM

Ferret: Im not sure. I trained myself over time to not really hang on to emotions. Partially from a hard-working, 1950s parents and grandparents, and any time I ever felt an emotion, it would exhaust me. I used to get so annoyed that my emotion wouldn't last to portray it. If I were angry at something, I'd take a nap, and it was like it never happened. Anger is the only one that has happened recently. It'll make my arms feel like they are heavy or asleep and after a nap, I'm fine.

As for the adderall, my body builds up tolerance ridiculous quick to anything, and is resistant to medications I've never even had. Like the oral anesthetic, it wouldn't knock me out with a normal dose for a 200lb man, they had to up it, and it made the dentist almost cancel it all together after even that almost didn't work.

Any new meds/chemicals to my body has either one of two effects. It either knocks me out, or does seemingly nothing. Even the adderall fades its effect within a few days.