Narcolepsy And Marijuana

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 SillyBrain

SillyBrain

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

I take Xyrem now, which has helped to bring about a lot of positive changes.

My Cataplexy is rather mild and has never resulted in a full collapse, outside of smoking marijuana.

I am useless with alcohol or drugs. Not to say that I didn't give them the old college try. I am more like a Wildebeest with a blow dart to the neck than a party animal.

This is how I would describe myself as well.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to hook SillyBrain and Nikcoal up for the purposes of an experiment? Sort of like an MSLT but they'd be smoking grass instead. Man, would I LOVE to see those EEG's after each one toked the same batch of mj.
BTW, I tried weed once when I was 32...sort of like getting hit with a sledgehammer. No joy.

If it were a possibility, I would do this for Science and for a lot of money. The completely opposite results would be interesting to see.

As far as varying experiences with weed, it helps to know what you are smoking.There are 2 main kinds, indica and sativa, and a million varieties of each.

I don't know what the first one was, but the 2nd was Indica and the 3rd was Sativa. I have no way of knowing the difference but that's what I was told that they were.

#42 scarletfire

scarletfire

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

I also agree that mj affects everyone differently and is most definitely not for everyone. My guess is that if you are already "neurologically interesting" it's hard to predict the effect of any particular intoxicant. I have heard anecdotally that women are more likely to experience paranoia than men with use. I was just surprised to have personally experienced such different effects from what I considered to be one product. I would have never known it was due to difference in variety if I hadn't been told.

#43 scarletfire

scarletfire

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

JMac, we need less REM. As narcoleptics, we get way too much, hence the HH, SP, vivid dreams, and lack of SWS.

#44 scarletfire

scarletfire

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

Quote above...I don't have this all figured out yet

I am learning so much here. I'm back to thinking I do have narcolepsy. I thought narcoleptics didn't get enough REM but no matter when I wake up I feel like I had been dreaming. I remember lots of dreams and from years ago.

#45 Nikcoal

Nikcoal

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Science, Astronomy, Makeup Artistry, Cosplay, Modeling, Animals, Video Games, Puzzles, Puns, Sudoku, 90's Rap, Hair Bands

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Wouldn't it be fascinating to hook SillyBrain and Nikcoal up for the purposes of an experiment? Sort of like an MSLT but they'd be smoking grass instead. Man, would I LOVE to see those EEG's after each one toked the same batch of mj.
BTW, I tried weed once when I was 32...sort of like getting hit with a sledgehammer. No joy.

I actually would love to do this.  I am very interested in how the brain works and particularly interested in knowing exactly how mine operates both sober and after smoking.

As far as varying experiences with weed, it helps to know what you are smoking.There are 2 main kinds, indica and sativa, and a million varieties of each. I have some unpleasant reactions to indicas but not sativas. I'm also the type of person that had a lot of sensitivity with just about everything... foods, medication, environmental allergies, the sun.

Not that I use anything now. Off meds waiting for sleep study. Just past the suicidal part of effexor withdrawal.

I was unaware there were 2 main species, but I did know there were endless varieties.

Hang in there with your withdrawal.  I had to go off my Cymbalta completely for 10 days before my sleep study.  I just about hit rock bottom, and my mother insisted I cancel the study and go back on my medication because to her it wasn't worth it.  I told her I would not do that because I only had a few more days to go, and I saw the silver lining that in just a few days, I could start taking it again.  She told me I was "non-compliant with my medications" and if she called the cops, they could take me away.  Keep in mind, I am a 27 year old adult at this point, was advised by a medical professional to temporarily cease my medication, and do not live with them.  I was merely stopping in to talk (as I used to do several times a week because we lived just a few miles apart).  If I didn't fight through the withdrawal, I would not have gotten the study done, I would still be undiagnosed, and I would not be getting my Xyrem to start treatment today.  It DOES get better! 

I also agree that mj affects everyone differently and is most definitely not for everyone. My guess is that if you are already "neurologically interesting" it's hard to predict the effect of any particular intoxicant. I have heard anecdotally that women are more likely to experience paranoia than men with use. I was just surprised to have personally experienced such different effects from what I considered to be one product. I would have never known it was due to difference in variety if I hadn't been told.

I have found out recently that there are some strains that affect me much better than others.  I have found anything with a "fruity" name has almost no effect.

Quote above...I don't have this all figured out yet

I am learning so much here. I'm back to thinking I do have narcolepsy. I thought narcoleptics didn't get enough REM but no matter when I wake up I feel like I had been dreaming. I remember lots of dreams and from years ago.

I am still learning a lot on Narcolepsy and Cataplexy, but it is too much REM sleep.  I have had very vivid and even lucid dreams for as long as I can remember.  An individual with Narcolepsy will enter REM sleep drastically faster than someone without.  For example, most adults should enter REM sleep about 60 - 90 minutes into the sleep cycle.  After my study, I was entering REM sleep in 4 minutes.

I don't know much more than this, I am still grasping it all myself.  I do hope that helps!

#46 scarletfire

scarletfire

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

I knew Rem came on fast with narcolepsy but I didn't understand what happens after that. obviously not sws...

#47 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 789 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

You have that correct...sweet sweet slow wave sleep...wherefore art thou?

There are some very good websites that go into great detail about the stages of sleep, what each of them does and in what order they are supposed to follow each other. We, as N's or N's with C, have really messed up stages and order...but I would imagine that our patterns are each unique individually except for the REM showing up way too soon in the cycle.