• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  • Interests:Music, video games, exercise, hookah, not feeling like crap

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:49 AM

The Gov't/Obama Administration should raid itself violating drug trafficking laws now, right? Lol

#22 JMac50

JMac50

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

All the posts are very interesting. On this string and other topic strings, it show the very wide range of symptoms.

On the topic of marijuana and narcolepsy, there haave been several studies on how it effects the actual sleep cycle. An increased of SWS (slow wave sleep) has been observed.

The negitive aspect is the decreased amount of REM. It has been suggested in sleep studies that REM may be neccessary to consolidate your daily memories.

#23 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

I need LESS REM. I mean it! I remember EVERYTHING...even the smallest stupidest things that no one in their right mind remembers. At 62, I'm worried that my personal hard drive is gonna seize it's so crammed with crap. I need to free up some space.

Tell me more!...and links would be appreciated.

#24 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

JMac, we need less REM. As narcoleptics, we get way too much, hence the HH, SP, vivid dreams, and lack of SWS.

#25 sk8aplexy

sk8aplexy

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Balance & Proportion of Tacos. Care & Respecting. Pools & Concrete Skateboarding. Observing & Contemplating. Future & Traveling. Technology & Evolving. Philosophy & Words...

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

Someone asked for articles, I found one:

Two brief quotes from the below link:

"They systemically administered the CB1 receptor antagonist/inverse agonist, SR141716A (SR), to rats and observed a dose-dependent increase in wakefulness (W) and a reduction in both slow-wave (SWS) and rapid eye movement (REM) sleep." 

"While the former was without influence on vigilance parameters, SR not only delayed REM sleep onset but also increased wakefulness and reduced NREM and REM sleep [8, 14]. This discrepancy may be a result of different pharmacological profiles between these two compounds [27]."

'A Pilot Study into the Effects of the CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor Agonist WIN55,212-2 or the Antagonist/Inverse Agonist AM251 on Sleep in Rats'

http://www.hindawi.c...sd/2011/178469/

-Strain is what it seems clearly to come down to.  As was mentioned in 'Weed,' the high CBD and low THC is definitely at play.

#26 DeathRabbit

DeathRabbit

• Members
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Which is why just grabbing a bad of weed and smoking it to "medicate" is not a smart plan. You're going to have so much variance in strains and smoking is probably about the least scientific and measurable way of consuming a chemical substance.

#27 Ferret

Ferret

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 11:34 PM

Which is why just grabbing a bad of weed and smoking it to "medicate" is not a smart plan. You're going to have so much variance in strains and smoking is probably about the least scientific and measurable way of consuming a chemical substance.

That was my point earlier...you don't know what you're getting buying it on the street. I would prefer that it be legalized and CONTROLLED. Different strains have different strengths of CBD or THC...sort of explained here...
http://www.weedguru....navarieties.php

Sk8aplexy...interesting article...thanks for posting. Hard to believe that they have to resort to using rats to do these experiments. Surely there would be a line up out the door of humans more than willing to participate...LOL!

I also happened on this site when looking for a "pill" form because "pill" was mentioned on (of all things) a forum frequented by old farts living in Mexico looking to learn the ropes about the area.
http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/

That is a VERY interesting site and I'm still wading through it...but here is the link directly to "pill" form...

http://medicalmariju...sourceID=000883

Happy reading!

#28 carrieannburns

carrieannburns

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Interests
    Photography, Photo Re-Touching, Videography, Video Editing, Directing, Movies, Film, Acting, Advertising, Graphic Design, Networking, Blogging, Web Design, Computers & Technology, Reading, Writing, Literature, History, Mythology, Urban Legends, The Study Of Religion, Traveling, Art, Fine Arts, Meeting New People, Concerts, Video Games, Study Of Health & Neurology or Neuroscience, Interior Design, Video Game Testing, Police & Services, Theatre or Theatrical Arts, Army, Military, Air Force, Volunteering, Camping, Boxing, The Drums, Piercings, Tattoos, Body Mods, Alternative Lifestyle, Boxing, Sports, Football, Hockey, (unfortunately I do not watch any sports, no one I know is really interested…)

Hobbies
    Photography, Photo Re-Touching, Videography, Video Editing, Watching Movies, Networking, Blogging, YouTube’ing, Reading, Web Design, Music, Video Games, Research, I collect; Horror paraphernalia, Action Figures (movie related), & Comic Related things…

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

i posted this in the 'day by day' forum earlier. thought i'd try posting here too:

Hi! I�m a 20 year old college student who was diagnosed with narcolepsy (w/out cataplexy) about a year ago. I am currently taking 30mg of adderall XR during the day along with xyrem at night.

I also smoke weed a fair bit.. Obviously there are potential implications that go along with smoking weed especially when you�re narcoleptic, and i�ve tried to use reasonably good judgment in that regard over the last year. I enjoy smoking weed and truly feel that getting high (in moderation) is often a very beneficial experience for me personally. At this point in my life, at least.

So naturally i at least want to understand the effects of marijuana on narcoleptics, but there is a surprising lack of information on the subject. I know smoking weed can make EDS worse (duhh) and that it doesn�t necessarily promote the best quality of sleep...

What else should I know? better yet, what experience has anyone had in this arena?

for example, one of my biggest concerns has to do with taking xyrem at night. If i�ve smoked within 2-3 hours, i avoid taking the xyrem. This is simply because i have no clue how the 2 drugs would interact.

but remember: ANY information at all is welcome! thanks

Okay so i highly suggest to get your Medical Marijuana Card as i do not think that smoking it if it is illegal where you live or in your state ect... 
However this is the info i have collected within the last few months, i will be building on it for people who are curious about getting their medical mj card, as well my doctor (Neurologist) Is interested in the research i do for this as it can be a beneficial alternative in many ways. 

Medical Marijuana:
"Medical cannabis (or medical marijuana) refers to the use of cannabis and its constituent cannabinoids, such as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD), as medical therapy to treat disease or alleviate symptoms."
"Medical cannabis can be administered using a variety of methods, including vaporizing or smoking dried buds, eating extracts, and taking capsules. Synthetic cannabinoids are available as prescription drugs in some countries; examples include: dronabinol (available in the United States (US) and Canada) and nabilone (available in Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom (UK), and the US)."
Medical Uses:
"Medical cannabis has several potential beneficial effects. Cannabinoids can serve as appetite stimulants, antiemetics, antispasmodics, and have some analgesic effects, may be helpful treating chronic non-cancerous pain, and to treat cancer.
The Institute of Medicine, run by the United States National Academy of Sciences, conducted a comprehensive study in 1999 assessing the potential health benefits of cannabis and its constituent cannabinoids. The study concluded that smoking cannabis is not to be recommended for the treatment of any disease condition, but that nausea, appetite loss, pain and anxiety can all be mitigated by cannabis. While the study expressed reservations about smoked cannabis due to the health risks associated with smoking, the study team concluded that until another mode of ingestion was perfected providing the same relief as smoked cannabis, there was no alternative. "
"Pain
Cannabis appears to be somewhat effective in treatment of chronic pain, including pain caused by neuropathy and possibly also that due to fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis."
"Methods of consumption
Smoking is the means of administration of cannabis for many consumers. It is difficult to predict the pharmacological response to cannabis because concentration of cannabinoids varies widely as there are different ways of preparing cannabis for consumption (smoked, applied as oils, eaten, or drank) and a lack of production controls. The potential for adverse effects from smoke inhalation makes smoking a less viable option than oral preparations.
Cannabis vaporizers have gained popularity because of the perception among users that less harmful chemicals are ingested when components are inhaled via aerosol rather than smoke.
Cannabinoid medicines are available in pill form (dronabinol and nabilone) and liquid extracts formulated into an oromucosal spray (nabiximols). Oral preparations are "problematic due to the uptake of cannabinoids into fatty tissue, from which they are released slowly, and the significant first-pass liver metabolism, which breaks down Δ9THC and contributes further to the variability of plasma concentrations"

"Marijuana affects dreams. Stoners say they don't have dreams but if they stop smoking for a few days, they are flooded with dreams. Is there any psychological research supporting this?
Sleep and wakefulness are both parts of a normal daily rhythm. This daily cycle is called a circadian rhythm. Both external and internal events can influence circadian rhythms. Morning light and alarm clocks trigger wakefulness. When isolated from normal time cues, the daily human cycle is about 24 hours, hence "circa dies."
"Sleep has been extensively studied in research laboratories, like the University of Chicago, by measuring brain waves and eye movements while research subjects sleep. Gentle electrodes are placed on volunteers' scalps and near their eyes. While sleeping, the electroencephalogram (EEG) provides evidence of brain activity.
Though sleep seems like a passive state to us, the brain is still very active. In fact, the EEG of a person falling asleep shows five stages of sleep: Stages 1 through 4 and a stage called rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. Each stage is progressively deeper and the complete cycle is repeated several times during the night. When awakened during REM sleep, subjects report dreaming. So if dreams take place during REM sleep, the question for us is: Does smoking marijuana interrupt REM sleep?
To address this question, Feinberg, et al. (1975) compared the sleep patterns of experienced marijuana users on tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and a placebo. Feinberg, et al. (1975) reported reduced eye movement activity and less REM sleep in the THC condition. They also reported a REM rebound effect, that is more REM activity, on withdrawal from THC. So,there exists some scientific evidence that marijuana interferes with REM sleep.
If sleep is fascinating, dreaming is even more so. No one knows for sure the meaning or function of night-time dreams, but there is plenty of speculation. Freud believed dreams represented the royal road to the unconscious. They told us our secret desires and fears.

"I have just been diagnosed with Narcolepsy & Cataplexy, and i was wondering what strain of marijuana would be best for someone like me?"
"Answer: Cannabis can have a profound affect on your sleep cycle. Particularly THC, and right now there are things happening to treat Epilepsy and stuff right now. A lt of people who consume High THC cannabis report that it has a high effect on their dreams. For the most par people who consume large amounts of cannabis report having greatly diminished or no dreams. And it is not clear whether they are just not remembering their dreams, or are just not having dreams at all. But there is a big effect of consuming a large amounts of cannabis before bed has on your sleep cycle. So for someone who has got something like Narcolepsy or Cataplexy that is a serious sleep condition, messing with that in some way is likely going to have some affect on the condition whether negative or positive. And most of the drugs that a pharmacutical company would recommend for treating those conditions, they don't really understand how they work, you know they are just tweaking the sleep cycle and are seeing if that has the desired effect. Given that cannabis is so much safer than the other options out there, I think it makes a lot of sense to persue that. In terms of how best to persue it, typically for someone during the day will either vapourize it, or smoke it. But at nighttime you want a much longer effect, you want it to last for a much longer time so an eddible, makes a lot of sense. Whether its pill form, or a food product or something that is going to stay in your system a lot longer. It may take a lot longer to kick in but it stays in your system. "

Jucing can be the best and most beneficial way to consume Medical Marijuana... 

Lastly here is info on what they say is a good strain for Narcolepsy.