Photo

Narcolepsy And The Paranormal

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Narcolepsy and the Paranormal (50 member(s) have cast votes)

I see dead people

1. yes (23 votes [46.00%])

Percentage of vote: 46.00%

2. no (27 votes [54.00%])

Percentage of vote: 54.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Mar 18 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree. Way back when, they even did mean things to people. Stanford Prison Experiment anyone? The standards for scientific research on people and animals has become a lot more strict. You have to give some REALLY good reasons why you'd need to do anything even remotely like what they used to do. And even then, it's not necessarily going to be approved. And you're totally right about the different functioning. They just didn't know enough about the brain back then. It's still a pretty mysterious thing.

Ohhhhhh, those were bad. Evil experiments. Did anyone see the special that has aired a few times on TV? History, NGC, or Discovery channel. I think the History Channel. To actually see these things happening is what made it so real. Man can do unspeakable things to fellow man, but like I just said: to see it happening is voyeurism at its worst.

#42 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE (sleepless sleeper @ Mar 18 2009, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ohhhhhh, those were bad. Evil experiments. Did anyone see the special that has aired a few times on TV? History, NGC, or Discovery channel. I think the History Channel. To actually see these things happening is what made it so real. Man can do unspeakable things to fellow man, but like I just said: to see it happening is voyeurism at its worst.

I agree all those types of things were horrible. Absolutely unspeakable. But to be honest if if science had not done things the way they did back in the day, where would we be now? probably still leaching ourselves if we have a fever, or performing labodamy's on girls who are a bit cranky during PMS. And as far as the Esp part of it.... We would all be hung as witches. Thank god research now is bsed on volunteers!

#43 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

To be honest, I still feel like modern medicine is still a lot like this. Especially for women. I can't tell you how many doctors and nurses tried to blame my N/C on my period, pregnancy, or just wanting attention from my boyfriend. I'm sure "hysterical female on the rag" has been written in more than one of my charts over the years. laugh.gif But yeah we have made progress and we do use what has been learned through some of the studies of questionable ethics because they still give us information about how we work. We just try to be much more ethical going forward when we build upon that knowledge.

#44 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

In the name of science... Hitler, the 3rd Reich, etc. ... but yes, we have all benefited from immoral scientific experiments. What's odd is how most people don't perceive the experiments are immoral until afterwards. I don't remember the name of the scientist/ psycologist that performed the Stanford experiment, but he did have a good deal of remorse and he is able to see that he was just as caught up in it at the time, which provided knowledge in how easy it is for man to become a product of his environment. I believe that this experiment was used as evidence in the Abu Gharab (sp?) court martials.

But then, I can't help but think of biological warfare, etc. that has been perpetrated on innocent peoples.... but this is not part of this thread...

#45 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

hmmm you are right.. .we are gettin a bit off topic here. lets keep it to the spooky stuff k? New threads for other subjects can always be made!

#46 moonmadness

moonmadness

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Psychology, mythology, reading, music, art

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

It has been some time since anyone has posted on this particular subject, but i have been accused of not getting to know the others on the network so i thought i would do some surfing for subjects and this is one i am particurlary interested in..........i do believe in another side or alternative realities , there are many opinoins on this subject and depending on the ones you read is whether these conditions are insanity,visions, possession, an alternative self or onr of many other explanations, after having dealt with numerous problems with my diagnosis of narcolepsy and not getting any help understanding it or having people to help me or support me in my life situation i decided to enter the field of mental health and try to understand the language and diagnosis that were being used onme........... this helped me to see where the terms and explanations that were being used were coming from but also showed me that what was being studied and utilized was not really a form of mental illness but more a form of judgemental societal constructs. this takes us back to the individual that you read or study with usually helps to form our understanding or opinoin on the subject, unless you bother to go to more than one source or opinoin on the subject.

i do not know how many of you have had the problem of being misdignosised with a mental illness instead of narcolespy or even after having a diagnoised of narcolepsy from one of the leading people in the field other doctors and people in the medical field do not accept the condition and send you
on a journey with deep valleys and rough terrain.

i am tending to go on here and seemingly not discuss the subject of hallucations and paranormal
conditions but i wanted to show some background (because i was also asked who i am and what i know about the subject so i am trying to answer my questionairer) anyway when discussing narcolepsy and you are asked what are the symptoms of it is it is rather daunting to say cataplexy, sleep paralysis, and hapgonic hallucations, these are not often used words.

#47 moonmadness

moonmadness

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

just a short note to say i got cut off when i was doing my last post here so i will come back and work on it more soon, also sorry about all the spelling errors i did not get them corrected before the site posted my piece..............bb jill

#48 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:53 AM

OOOOOO sweet this looks good, cant wait till you come back with the rest!

#49 moonmadness

moonmadness

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:53 AM

sorry about the abrupt way i ended the last discussion (and not correcting the spelling)but the page sort of took off on me and so i decided to come back later and so now is later...........we were discussing the symptoms of narcolepsy which are sleep paralysis, cataplexy, and hypnagogic hallucinations and i was making the point that these are not words that are commonly known or used especially outside the medical field, so that when we are asked to explain to others what is wrong with us or what narcolepsy is it can be difficult to correctly explain the condition and its symptoms........i have a very good neurologist that is my doctor for my narcolepsy but his is not into long discussion regarding the circumstances and conditions that surround living with narcolepsy, he is always telling me to explain to people about it myself and he is right i should and i do BUT unfortunately people do not think that i know or understand about what i am talking about because i am not a doctor, so we get caught on a spinning wheel...not knowing where to turn …..also he does not talk to me about what hypnagogic hallucinations are because that is more of the psychological elements of narcolepsy and he is a medical doctor and into the science of it all. So with this we now come back to who you are reading or using for your source or expertise.
when we start discussing the paranormal or hallucinations aspects in narcolepsy most of the medical doctors will divert to another subject as they base they beliefs in science and the proven facts, the conditions of having some of the altered experiences we do as narcoleptics transcends the "normal" and reaches into the other side(s). there are lot of people who are afraid to step out of the norm and venture into new realities , yet i feel that we as narcoleptics do it all the time without realizing it and when we do try to talk with others to understand and relate we scare them and they think we have stepped off the grid. This leaves us to query on our own…………… I must admit that I am very interested in the psychological aspects of narcolepsy and the sleep cycling as it relates to our being so if I tend to lean in that direction please understand this is my journey. I have researched the psychological elements and have found in them some answers to my queries. If you are interested in some of the psychological resources that I have found regarding sleep and the unconscious mind please ask me for references.

Enough for now looking forward to comments.

#50 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

hey moon madness, it's me again! if u have n, it'd b nice to see u on here as a member- not just for ur expertise!

my neurologist stated that psychiatrist is hand in hand with neurologist. amazing how the field differs! however, he did NOT say the reverse is true for psychiatrists.

why don't u post the references here anyway? i would be interested in seeing them, but actually having the capability to read them is most likely not going to happen. i can't stay focused long enough.

i've been told by my doctors that i do not have mental health disorders (which is new since being dx'd w/ n, otherwise, this is what happened to me my whole life, which was HORRIBLE). they say that the effects of n on a person can be similar to mental illness. some may say, well, what's the diff? i've got a good example: my father had brain tumors for 20 years. multiple surgeries. HE WAS INSANE, but imagine what it must be like to have a tumor applying pressure to brain tissue. you're just not going to function normally. (then there's also the problems created by having multiple full cranial surgeries). this is an example of an organic problem, um, i don't remember how to explain it. but n is somewhat similar. there is a lot that is happening (or not happening, or not happening appropriately) in an n brain. also, the effects of inappropriate sleep, no sleep, and sleep related meds can cause some tremendously extreme behavior. (i'm raising my hand on this one). i made a comment yesterday on a diff thread that sleep deprivation is a form of torture. what is insomnia? sleep deprivation. what is inappropriate sleep? sleep deprivation. an affect of n can include some form of mental illness though, and why not? it's horrible trying to live a life that is difficult to physically participate in.

but, moonmadness, how does this explain the experiences that some of us have with the otherside? my dreams end up becoming a reality. i see things, past and future. not all the time. sometimes it is a metaphor, but does that mean that it ends up being a coincidence? there is too much that occurs for me to believe in coincidences. i know that i'm not the only one on here that does this. there are a few of us. mm, what has been your experience with this topic?

#51 moonmadness

moonmadness

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

i will try to answer your questions and shed some light on our discussions.
as i have said before i have narcolepsy and sleep apena and have been diagnosed for over thirty years now. i am a member of this forum; a lot of these things were discussed when i wrote some on the "being told where to go" discussion and that was why i wanted to stay in one discussion because it gets confusing trying to not repeat yourself but i will try to stay current.

are there any particular types of references you would like to have?
sorry this is short but i am not ina talking mood today.

#52 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

This still doesn't explain me. ;)

The slippery slope we get pushed down is when we are un-dx'd and start telling Docs about the demons that grab us by the gonads and smack us around. Can't blame "Aunt Flo" in my case. That's when we dangerously get labled "Bi-Polar"...or some other mental disorder.

I have mass empathy for people who suffer from a mental disorder. This came from being placed with them in a "respite" during the absolute worse part of my life. Geeze, you would think that after Zyprexa made the situation worse, they would have rethought the DX. Instead..."We don't know what the problem is. Maybe it would be best if we release him"

But I digress...

I'm convinced our condition has effected all of us in ways we often ignore, or choose to forget. I know the way I approach my personal relationships isn't the same. I have hallucinations when I wake up and when I fall asleep. I fall down when I laugh. My body has no concept of a normal sleep time. This is bound to effect my ability to "relate".

The human brain is deep and complex. What we think is paranormal COULD be neurons firing at wierd times. I tend to think most of what we think as paranormal could be a sort of "glitch", but look/feel/appear like something else.

I'm not discounting what some believe by any means. I'm just saying we could be too close to what feels like a paranormal experience to see what it really could be.

To be honest, I still feel like modern medicine is still a lot like this. Especially for women. I can't tell you how many doctors and nurses tried to blame my N/C on my period, pregnancy, or just wanting attention from my boyfriend. I'm sure "hysterical female on the rag" has been written in more than one of my charts over the years. Posted Image But yeah we have made progress and we do use what has been learned through some of the studies of questionable ethics because they still give us information about how we work. We just try to be much more ethical going forward when we build upon that knowledge.

#53 napnow

napnow

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:I simply can't live without books!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

I have heard that people with Narcolepsy have certain abilities and connections to the other side. They also can be more prone to things we dont encounter on a daily basis such as Telekanesis and empathic abilities. I know in my case some of these type of things are true. Anyone else out there who are prone to the paranormal? Lets talk about this!

This is interesting. I seem to be extremley intuitive and empathic. I occasionally have auditory hallucinations...music, my name being called, dogs barking. Since my Mom died I can hear her answer in my mind before my mind has time to think of how she would answer. This is especially true whem I am experiencing an acute greif "episode"... which is also a time when I experience cataplexy. I have heard many times "I was just thinking about you" when I call someone. My husband and I have always said we are "psychically connected". My Mom and I were extremely close. We had (or still have) a connection that is unusual for mothers and daughters, in my opinion. I am not aware of having seen any ghosts. But I do get "visits" in my dreams. I can feel when Mom is around. Whether this is "real" or my mind trying to comfort me, it doesn't really matter. The end result is the same, I feel better. I like my "visits". I enjoy hearing my Mom call my name. As for scary dreams, I get them too but not as often as I did when I was a kid.

This is an interesting thread I hope more people add to it.

~napnow

#54 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

I am not aware of having seen any ghosts. But I do get "visits" in my dreams. I can feel when Mom is around. Whether this is "real" or my mind trying to comfort me, it doesn't really matter. The end result is the same, I feel better. I like my "visits".
~napnow

This is a good point you brought up here. Regardless of "how" we get these visions, whether it be paranormal or otherwise, the end result is still the same. Even if the end result is different for all of us. Some of us may be frightened and some of us relieved. Good post Napnow, Thank you!

#55 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:39 PM

Glad you brought this one back out, also, M.

napnow, auditory h drive me bonkers. i'll hear the kids calling me over and over again: mom, mom, mama, mom, mama .....

my dad use to think that my mom was stomping her feet upstairs extra loud to disturb him and that she'd say his name over and over.

maddening...

M, you're right. The end result is the same.

#56 ayesart

ayesart

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

<i>I have heard that people with Narcolepsy have certain abilities and connections to the other side. They also can be more prone to things we dont encounter on a daily basis such as Telekanesis and empathic abilities. I know in my case some of these type of things are true. Anyone else out there who are prone to the paranormal? Lets talk about this!</i>

Hi:
Background: Suspected N from sleepyness and other symptoms. I am presently undiagnosed, but....I have experiences relative to what you have asked.

1: Mom was considered a "spiritualist" in her community. She would "read" old Spanish Tarot cards. I placed the word read in quotes because all she did was lay out the cards and ignored them thereafter during the session.
2: She would ask client to think about the specific problem or question they had without verbalizing it to her.
3: She would go into "trance" state.
4: She would reveal names, places and events to the client and then ask for confirmation.
5: Client would be astounded because persons named by mom were in fact people the person knew.
6: The same went with the places. They were very familiar to client.
7: Events were also exact and true as well as precise.
8: Mom would give solutions to problems, answers to specific questions that had not been verbalized by the client.

9: This one is a charmer. Mom would go "out of body" to places so she could describe them to the client in great
detail. In somecases the places would be in Europe. We had never been to Europe.

10: Mom would sleep at inappropriate times during the day. Always tired. Always sleepy. Had headaches often.

11: One night my father was out and about and very late coming home. Mom set up a large brandy snifter and filled it with water and placed a card board against the glass where it would sit in back of the glass.
She set up a candle on the side of the brandy snifter. I was instructed to be very quiet and to watch the snifter and the light that danced from the candle in it.
The first image I saw personally manifest upon the cardboard was of two people dancing. No details just shadowy figures dancing. A man and a woman were dancing. I could see that the woman wore a dress. The images remained shadowy but the mannerisms were very clear. It was definitely my father because of the mannerisms. They were his unique mannerisms. This I feel is important-the mannerisms because they helped to identify him.
When he finally got home there was a distinct odor of alcohol on his breath and the sweetish smell of perfume on his clothing. Back in the 50's the women used face powder that was heavily perfumed as well as strong perfumes and colognes. There was an enormous arguement and my father was very startled when my mom told him where she got her data from. Of course dad fluffed it off as the imagings of a crazy witch woman.

As a child I saw "phantoms" and they frightened me because they had dissapeared all of a sudden. Today I supress them but I still see them on the periphial edge of my vision moving about the yard. Shadowy type figures.

At night I awaken and in the dark I can see things moving about me in the room. I've gone to optometrists and they tell me I haven't any floaters in my eyes. Bits of chloresterol that float inside the eye. Nor do I have any pathological conditions in my eye to cause this business of seeing things.

I went up to Jacksonville with my wife to the big meeting at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I enjoyed it. But the night before I had a disturbing dream. I dreamt that my son, who I will name John, had stolen my social security number.
I called the cops but nothing was done. I found him in the dream and chastised and slapped him around. When I woke up I forced myself to remember the dream because I felt it had some kind of importance because it was one of those vivid dreams I have.
When we returned home yesterday I learned that my neighbor whose name is, for this purpose here, is John.
His son is also named John, (both ficticious names,), Well the family was arrested on drug charges. I know my neighbor, the older John and I know he doesn't use drugs. He drinks instead. His son it seems was being watched by law enforcement for many months. So was his girlfriend. The ploice arrsted John Sr, his grilfriend and her son, John Jr.....Why? The son and his girlfriend were selling drugs and unbeknowst to John Sr. were manufacturing drug paraphanalia. Drugs were found in the home that the son had brought in unbeknowst to the father. When the police searched the home they found the drugs. Even though the father is ignorant that there are drugs in the home he got arrested because a law was broken.....

The point here is I had dreamt the name John and the dream was about a son gone bad and was in trouble with the police because I called them to complain about his stealing my identity.

Now, you tell me. Did my dream come true as far as being prophetic?

ayesart

#57 ayesart

ayesart

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

About paranormal experiences.
In India people go out and renounce the things of the world to seek out what they call the spiritual side of the self. They define these phenomenon as Sidhi. Which means movement in old sanscrit. Buddha sought this out and found it. The prophet Jesus went into the wilderness for 40 nights and forty days and when he came back he was different. So did Moses and so did Mohammed.
Sidhi - movement happens when an extra sensory awareness has been opened either by conscious meditation or by accident. The main ingredient is a dead centered ability to focus the mind during a meditative state, N persons have this ability because they according to people in India have opened this door of extra sensory perception.
The root in the brain according to people who have opened these doors lies within the pineal gland. That little gland that lies within the center of the brain. The practicioner meditates and becomes "centered" by stilling the mind, focusing. In turn it is said that the pineal gland begins to change the way it vibrates.
People - scoentists have studied this. Alpha brain waves yield relaxation states. The breathing becomes very relaxed and the heart beat slows. In the delta state phenomenon happens. Thus delta waveactivity is linked to the sleep state....Deep sleep state.
REM activity is the point that we get to dream in.....a lot.
N persons have lost control of their sleep cycle.....Waking dreaming can and does happen so that one can't distinguish reality from the "unreal."

So what is real? Waking or the sleep state? Perhaps both states are real.....????

American Indians find visual and auditory phenomena normal. The fact is they Quest to make these states happen.
After someone experiences the results of their quest they go see the shaman who in turn interprets and gives a meaning to the visions.

In the bible there is one person who had been abandoned by his brothers in a deep well. The boy grew up and ended up in the court of the pharoh. The pharoh had a dream and called the boy who had become a man to interpret his dream.....It saved a lot of people from starvation in the end...

We live in a world where that which was once normal and that which is considered normal behaviour today in some parts of the world; as being unreal events that need a lot of medications to stop the visions.
Granted, having a vision while driving is very out of place. Going into a deep trance while driving is a big no no.....For safety reasons perhaps one should take the medications, especially if you fall during one of those events....You could injure your brain.... Then by all means do take the medication for your own safety and the safety of others.......But don't fear what you are experiencing when it happens.......Let the event flow and see it when you do.....Experience it. Then write it down in a journal.....Let an expert see it maybe there will be something important revelent to your state of mind in your vision.....

Some dream interpretations....

Seeing a loved one dead or dying means long life for them....
Dreaming with a road, or traveling upon a river or ocean means the path you take in getting someplace.....

Dream books help to answer what is going on in your brain while you sleep.....It all has to do with symbols.....

Animals are born with sharper instincts than we so that they can survive in their environments within nature.
Then why are we so busy trying to shut down those very same instincts that were given to us by nature for survival?

ayesart

#58 ayesart

ayesart

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:11 PM

just a weird quick note:

Last night I dreampt about plunging toilets. (In my dream there was a dead bat stuck in it soooo ewww gross!)

Today my toilet got backed up.... not sure why... hopefully not a bat. any way.... I so premonitioned this!
lol... problably not, but how weird is that?

The mind is a powerful tool.....If you dreamt it happening and it manifested the next day. It is precognative behaviour.

You can test your precognastive with this simple little test....
It takes two people. Get your husband involved as a witness.
Get a deck of cards....You mate shuffles them real good.....

He or she draws one card from the deck and places it face down.
Its up to you to "see" details on the card....Like it's colour. Red or black.
You can try to take it one step further by trying to see the type of card it is....Ace for aces. Picture for King, Jack or Queen. Spade, etc.

Your partner marks on a paper how many correct guesses, and how many incorrect guesses you made.
At the end of the 52 card session you total up the correct versus the incorrect.....
The higher the score for correct "guesses: will let you know if you have a real ability.

But that test doesn't account for dreams that come true.....

It is said that the mind is a powerful thing indeed. It can manifest thoughts and what is spoken....
If one is prone to negative thoughts so shall they reap.
If one is prone to positve thoughts so shall they reap.

An old Chinese proverb:

"Only the mind can make a hell of heaven and a heaven of hell."

Ayesart

#59 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:58 AM

I'm so tired. I read the first post and want to reply. a lot. i'll try later. i'm so insomnia zombie now. how do you say zombie in espanol?

#60 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:59 AM

insomnia?