Photo

Narcolepsy And The Paranormal

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: Narcolepsy and the Paranormal (49 member(s) have cast votes)

I see dead people

1. yes (23 votes [46.94%])

Percentage of vote: 46.94%

2. no (26 votes [53.06%])

Percentage of vote: 53.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 15 September 2008 - 02:08 AM

just a weird quick note:

Last night I dreampt about plunging toilets. (In my dream there was a dead bat stuck in it soooo ewww gross!)

Today my toilet got backed up.... not sure why... hopefully not a bat. any way.... I so premonitioned this!
lol... problably not, but how weird is that?

#22 sleepyhead84

sleepyhead84

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Reading, crafts, ferrets, friends, sleep (need that be said?), dinners, animals, nature, my bed

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

Fascinating! I'm going back to the "do you see dead people" thing. When I was 10 or so the "grandma" downstairs in our apartment died in the apartment and several days later, as I was walking toward the kitchen, I bumped into her ghost! Right in front of the kitchen door I saw an apparition and bumped into it. My parents believed me, as did her son downstairs who said that he did the same thing and dropped his popcorn. My teacher at school told me that she was saying goodbye. I've always believed that to be true but now with the crazy N symptoms...

It just blows my mind like when the day I found out that tarantulas molt and though they may look dead, aren't really. Maybe we shouldn't have thrown Harry the tarantula into the garbage so soon...

#23 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (sleepyhead84 @ Sep 20 2008, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fascinating! I'm going back to the "do you see dead people" thing. When I was 10 or so the "grandma" downstairs in our apartment died in the apartment and several days later, as I was walking toward the kitchen, I bumped into her ghost! Right in front of the kitchen door I saw an apparition and bumped into it. My parents believed me, as did her son downstairs who said that he did the same thing and dropped his popcorn. My teacher at school told me that she was saying goodbye. I've always believed that to be true but now with the crazy N symptoms...

It just blows my mind like when the day I found out that tarantulas molt and though they may look dead, aren't really. Maybe we shouldn't have thrown Harry the tarantula into the garbage so soon...

I have heard that the Chinese believe that your loved one come back to say good bye after 7 days. I wonder if that is true? And if they have a theory as to why and such... hmmmm.....

#24 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:15 AM

oh yeah I wanted to ask anyone who attended the conference in Milwaukee, Did anyone notice anything in the New Orleans ballroom? specifically to the right side? I did. so did some one else I know.
Maybe someone died trying to find their way out of those hallways!!!
lol... I'm kidding!

#25 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

Back by popular request....

**BUMP**

Lets hear your stories!!!!

#26 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:32 PM

Hello. I don't usually "see" things but I feel them... auras, "dead people", whatnot. Sometimes I do see ghosts though...
I do think that having N would open people up more to this stuff... some people take drugs to "loosen"their minds and pick up on things more (yes yes drugs = hallucinations whatnot that's not what im getting at and for the sake that some people here no what i mean im not getting into it), and essentially our minds are already "there" most of the time.

I do think you need to be open to it, and having N helps it, BUT i do think people can learn to be more open to it as well

For example, im open with my fiance about my beliefs/perceptions and such. He thinks im a quack. not in a bad, degrating way, but in an its obvious he thinks im a quack but doesn't mind or think "quack" is a negative thing sort of way. He's a very black and white person

SOOOOO....

When I got a call at work at 8am one day from him saying his gramma was passing away (was in the hosp for a while - not a shock but she went downhill really fast one night unexpectedly) I KNEW I had to get home to go with him to the hospital (out of town), I KNEW he had to be there and I KNEW she needed him there. i actually broke into angry tears at work when i couldn't get anyone to come infor me....

Someone ended up getting my message and coming in at 2 to releive me and we went, got there just after three....

Her BP was about 60/40 from 5/6am that day (he got the call at 8) until we got there (just after 3) and her pulse would drop then skyrocket, back and forth, all day....

then five min after we got there her pulse went to 40 and sat there...

we went out for a smoke and on the way out i said "it will be in the next hour, im just telling you so you know" so he could say goodbye etc... he just said yeah but they've been sayin that since five am, i told him she was waiting for him (everyone else had come and he was her "favourite")

We came back in, then a few min later his dad ran and said it was happening

She died just after 4 (about 410) pm and was in the room another five min or so before she left. i told him after everyone had sort of gotten to that quiet stage and no one was RIGHt by her that shewas still there to go say bye now before she left... he did

Then on the way home after he asked me how i knew and i just said "know how you always think im crazy" LOL

anyways that kinda opened his eyes a little

About a week or so after the funeral i woke up and he came in the room and looked all wierd. he started bawling (again a very black and white guy, and doesn't get overly emotional about stuff) and said she had come to say goodbye... he cried about 1/2 hour

So that's one example...

I also pick up on peoples energies a lot, etc but that's enough for one post lol

#27 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (greatbig47 @ Aug 4 2008, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are we some form of some...thing's SIMM game?

I am definitely someone's Sims game. That would explain the Cow Plant in the back yard... huh.gif

#28 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 5 2008, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If some one told me we were recycled into Captain Crunch cereal boxes when the end comes I cant disbelieve that. until I go to the factory myself to see it.

zomg! Soilent Captain Crunch is made out of peeeeople!!! ohmy.gif

Sorry for the silliness. I will post more serious stories when I'm not so high on cold medicine. blink.gif

#29 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:43 AM

Chimbakka that was a great story! I have had situations like that myself. I totally know where you are coming from on that one. Premonitions are just one of those things that are so difficult to explain. It is what it is you know? Aside from knowing ahead of time have you or anyone else had situations where you knew something was happening Right then? similar to your story? Or maybe you were dreaming of it while it was happening? I have had that twice. Both situatuons (years apart) were while friends of mine were being murdered. It was HORRIBLE.

And dogdreams? cold meds really? lol... be careful! Dayquil makes me halucinate!!!

keep up with the stories!

I think to many people are afraid of being accused of being crazy, or having it blamed on Narcolepsy.
But I think that it is a safe bet that that wont happen here...

#30 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Jan 7 2009, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And dogdreams? cold meds really? lol... be careful! Dayquil makes me halucinate!!!

I do a tiny bit, but it's not so bad and really better than the alternative pain I'm experiencing. I have to get through my day at work!

In answer to your dream question, when I was in high school I was riding home from a pow-wow with a boy that I liked. His dad was driving and I fell asleep in the back seat. I had this horrible experience of kind of half awake but felt like I was choking on smoke and kept calling out for my mom. Turns out a childhood friend of mine was dying in a basement fire that night. I wrote a song about it but it's a really depressing song. I think I've lost the lyrics, etc.

But on a somewhat happier note, ok well not really, when dogs that I know die, like pets or dogs I know, they always come by that night or the next day to say goodbye. And no matter what the circumstances of their deaths, they're always so happy and say "Thank you". thank you for taking care of me, or thank you for ... whatever, I guess. It's really touching. I had one even pop her little ghosty head out of thin air just to lick my nose.

Anyway, I'm always really hesitant to share my ghost stories for fear of being called crazy, but I'll try to share some here tonight. I have so many, I'm not sure where I'd begin, but I can assure you it's not N-related. I have witnesses and other things to validate my experiences. Like meeting people after they've died, and talking about it with people that knew them alive, and having everything totally validated as far as experiences and personality, etc.

#31 chimbakka

chimbakka

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Jan 7 2009, 08:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Chimbakka that was a great story! I have had situations like that myself. I totally know where you are coming from on that one. Premonitions are just one of those things that are so difficult to explain. It is what it is you know? Aside from knowing ahead of time have you or anyone else had situations where you knew something was happening Right then? similar to your story? Or maybe you were dreaming of it while it was happening? I have had that twice. Both situatuons (years apart) were while friends of mine were being murdered. It was HORRIBLE.

keep up with the stories!

I think to many people are afraid of being accused of being crazy, or having it blamed on Narcolepsy.
But I think that it is a safe bet that that wont happen here...

one of the psws i work with dreams things befor they happen. i cant remember specific stories right now but when i do think of one i'll post it.

one of the nurses there is also very connected. she'll say like "oh that end of the hall.. something is up/going to happen" then a week later one of the residents nearly codes while we wait for the ambulance, etc. or we'll think something is wrong and send them to the hospital dispite some of the snotty paramedics (not all but a few we get are quite annoying) and VOILA something was really severly wrong. She's also into reki (sorry cant spell right now), and we both get similar "vibes" about things (we find out when we work together and ones says something about it) - she sees/feels a lot more than i do but we have similar beliefts, when i was pswing there she was my fav nurse to work with because we coudl talk about all kinds of cool stuff. we're both geminis so we also have a lot of the same sorts of stupid things happen to us (i call it bad vaccuum karma, any retarted day that will happen at work (peole sick dying etc) will happen with one of us on lol)

side note about reike, it's great if you get a chance ot have it done to you by a professional check it out. i wont get into details u can google it ( i gotta get my ass ready for work lol)

i remember one of the othe psws i work with had a dreams that involved a baby lucas ( in the dream it was hers but she had all girls at the time), she found out she was pregnant a little bit later (week or so) with a boy and named him lucas because his name was that before she got involved

about the one resident who almost coded on us. she left us for a bit while me and the other psw were with her (was still "alive" but you know...). we both were SURE tha twas it. im pretty sure she did code out the door, the ambulance was there a good 15-20 min after they got her in before they left (one of thet imes they took a res right away and ran out, and were yelling her name in her ear on the way out the door). we thought that was it she had a day maybe two. well... she is one of those nice ladies that is a PAIN IN THE ASS to look after because she's so stubborn.
she had a massive heart attack and a bunch of other stuff was way out to lunch couldn't walk/toilet herself all that, teh doctors at the hospital even told the family she was dying. well one day she was sitting in a daze and started talking to her dead sister in the room at the hospital (this does happen quite a bit - people talking to dead relatives if they are close to dying or right before they die ,i've seen it an many i work with have). and well this is what she said "i know my bags are packed but youll just have to wait im not going withyou!" haha that's right the stubborn frail dying 90year old woman told her dead sister to @#$! off!!
well she got better and is back to how she was before walking on her own, independent, etc.

#32 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

Ok, ok, here's my first story. Years ago, in the early '90's, when I was in high school, my sister got a Ouija Board. Ok, maybe I should back up. Now I'm going to tell you stuff that I usually don't tell anyone, so...don't be mean, ok? (I'm just so insecure! lol)

Ever since I was a little kid, I could sense ghosts. The hallway and attic in my old house were terrifying to me. On the stairs in the downstairs hallway I always got a picture in my head of a woman in an electric blue dress--Victorian style dress-- and in the attic was a very angry man. And every night someone would walk across my ceiling, back and forth for about an hour. I always accused my parents of being up there until I realized they were in bed asleep. And just to prove how brave I was, I spent the night alone in the attic one night. I sure was glad when morning came! Turns out the house was built by Simon Lake for his son to live in, sometime in the late 1800's. The son aspired to be more than he was (hence the maid's quarters in the attic) but never achieved greatness or wealth and killed himself in the house (i'm guessing the attic.) Oooh big surprise there. dry.gif I often wish I could go back and talk to these ghosts but I doubt I'll ever see that house again. Oh well.

I kind of forgot about ghosty stuff for awhile, but when we moved to Southern California, things started happening again. It was a brand new house, but the lot, of course, was old and had a lot of 'leftovers'. When I'd come up the stairs from the garage it felt like hands were reaching out to grab me to pull me back down. When I played the piano, I got this creepy feeling that got worse and worse until *crash*! Something fell in the kitchen and the cats went running. I turned around and there was this young man with blond hair in a white tank top standing at the bottom of the stairs staring at me with malice, fists clenched at his side. We moved the piano out of the dining room and into the living room and those events stopped. Sometimes the house would suddenly smell like blueberry muffins for no reason. I'd run downstairs thinking my mom was cooking, only to find the kitchen empty. Our neighbor had the same thing happen at her house.

So, one day my little sister got a Ouija Board. By this time I was able to talk to the ghosts. I still couldn't see them or hear them, but I could see them in my head how they saw themselves, and could figure out their names and have conversations by talking to them out loud and getting these 'gists' of answers from them coming at me...not words, but the feeling behind them. It's hard to explain. So there was this ghost in our house who called himself S.D. He never gave more info than that. He had a light blue button-down shirt on and was very nice. When he sat on the couch to watch TV with us, no one would sit in his spot even though they didn't know he was there. They'd actually move if they sat on him.

We used the Ouija Board just as a game, but ended up meeting the plethora of ghosts in our house. There was the girl that overdosed on drugs in the '60's (our neighbor confirmed that actually happened.) A little boy, etc. But S.D. was the one we talked to the most. He told us that he was from New Jersey (I think) and he was on a business trip to San Diego when the plane crashed. He started wandering around amusement parks trying to find someone he could communicate with. (this happened a few times to us and I think it's a pretty common practice.) He followed me home from a school trip to Sea World a few years before.

He had been engaged to a woman named Emily and wanted only to find her again to say good-bye, but when he went back to his old house, she was gone. So he hung out at our house for years asking us to help him find her. But he wouldn't tell us his name or her last name, so what could we do? After a few years and I was an adult, he finally told me her last name. He also told me his first name: Stephen. So I did an internet search and came up with 3 e-mail accounts under his fiancee's name. I decided, for his sake, I'd just e-mail all 3 with a brief message saying I was looking for a woman of her name engaged to a man with his name who died in a plane crash on the way to San Diego around the year he died. I didn't expect anything of it, maybe a rant about me being crazy, or at least a "sorry, don't know".

For awhile, nothing happened. Then about a week later I got one response: "What do you want?" blink.gif I was shocked at first. But I simply wrote back a brief synopsis and that was it. He just wanted to say goodbye. I didn't want anything. She never replied, but the e-mail search showed she had moved to Maryland and I think that's why he couldn't find her. She was in a different state. After that he disappeared for a very long time. He came back a couple of times after, but wasn't very strong. I think it really was her and he was finally able to move on. I sure hope so. He seemed kind of mad about her, maybe because she'd moved on or found someone new. He wouldn't say.

Lots more has happened to me since then, like now I can channel the ghosts and let them talk directly through me, but that's enough for one night I guess. I hope you don't think I'm insane now...

#33 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:32 AM

I just wanted to tell all of you we have a new member! Her Screen name is ESPMD she is a Nueroscientist and Nueropsycholgist Who has greatly inspired me with her work! She has written a book called the Esp Enigma and I highly highly recomend it! I have asked her to join us so that she can answer questions for us and discuss the very grey area's we have on this topic. She is a highly respected Doctor in her field and I am so glad she has found the time to share with us!!!

#34 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

Thx M, I hope I didn't scare her away. I'm having serious cognitive problems right now. No making fun of it this time, such as: can't........ think..........

Anyway...
The dead people thing. I don't think that it's a coping mechanism. How many of you think that having loved ones come to us later is just our brain processing the death? Like I said in the other thread: I think that they bring us messages. at least i think i said it in the other thread... ohmy.gif but then, my dad did come to let me know that my mother was about to pass, which was true, and he visited her at the same time. He told us both that he was waiting for her.

#35 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

Has anyone ever thought that maybe our experiences are because of our N and not because we are special? Maybe we experience these things because of malfunctions in our mind.

It could definitely be the opposite, like maybe we experience them because we have undiscovered functions... They say we use about 10% of our brain. I don't know how true that is, or what that really means... but who knows.

I used to think I was very connected, very intune... Now I'm questioning if the things I've seen were real at all. Maybe my mind made them up. Of course I want to believe I've had these amazing things happen to me, that I've been lucky, but I don't know if I have.

I do know that I'm extremely connected to emotions. I can feel others feelings. If they are up, down, angry, etc. I soak it all up. I used to think thats what made me so tired, from taking on myself and everyone else.

I wonder...

#36 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

Sure, I've thought this countless times. But, more often than not, I'm with someone who's experiencing the same thing, and it's not another PWN. If it was just me, I'd certainly consider that it's just my N, but when I get so many others saying "yeah, I feel that, too" at the same time, well...then I can only conclude that it's something outside me and quite possibly very real. Especially when it can be captured on film.

As a neuroscience major, I can tell you exactly where the 10% thing came from. It's a misnomer. There was a scientist a long time ago (before this sort of thing was frowned upon) that ran a rat through a maze and before each run would scoop out a bit of its brain to see how little brain it needed to run the maze successfully. Guess how much was left before it started failing?

You use 100% of your brain. We all do. Maybe we're more 'connected' because we're always so close to sleep. Maybe it has nothing to do with N at all. But I doubt it's all just a hallucination. I mean, there's no way that I could talk with the ghost of a dead man I never knew, get the correct names of his family members before I ever met them, and have his whole family and psychotherapist tell me I got every detail of his personality right if he was just a hallucination.

#37 Irishhh

Irishhh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:03 PM

I know there are some things that have happened to me too that I do not think are related to the N. I mostly wonder about this when it comes to someone waking up and seeing something. If those things are real or not. That's so cool that you were able to get all that right! I wish more people would listen to those who say that they have experienced things. I understand being skeptical, but also at the same time, if someone is so right on about something, how do you just disregard it like it means nothing? As far as the mouse goes, this makes me very upset to hear about. Their brain is not our brain, why would they do such a mean thing? and plus, if you removed other parts of the brain first, it's functioning would be different anyway! ugh!!!

#38 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Irishhh @ Mar 18 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone ever thought that maybe our experiences are because of our N and not because we are special? Maybe we experience these things because of malfunctions in our mind.

It could definitely be the opposite, like maybe we experience them because we have undiscovered functions... They say we use about 10% of our brain. I don't know how true that is, or what that really means... but who knows.

I used to think I was very connected, very intune... Now I'm questioning if the things I've seen were real at all. Maybe my mind made them up. Of course I want to believe I've had these amazing things happen to me, that I've been lucky, but I don't know if I have.

I do know that I'm extremely connected to emotions. I can feel others feelings. If they are up, down, angry, etc. I soak it all up. I used to think thats what made me so tired, from taking on myself and everyone else.

I wonder...

That's what I was saying in another one of my posts regarding ESP, etc. I've had visions of what's to come, what has been, a connection with ancestors, (I made the trip over from what I suppose is Siberia), communication with the beyond, a feeling of what's going on, the ability to "feel" others, if something isn't safe, etc. Of course, I have been prone to try and force these feelings, which never works. I do feel like our sleeping wakefulness keeps our "window" open to the other world or another plane of existence. I think that we are more in tune to the spirituality of what's going on around us. I don't know if that's really the right word to use. No, sounds too New Agish - which I definitely am not. Sometimes I feel like a bridge because I have people come to me even years after they have died, and it's not scary. Seeing something or knowing something is going to happen before it does is not scary. One "coincidence" (which I strongly do NOT believe in) that occurred on this website is beyond comprehension. Some of us can be connected in the weirdest ways, and for what purpose? We most likely will never know, but it's no coincidence that we meet who we do.

Am I getting off topic? But sometimes our hallucinations are POWERFUL, and our intuition is unmatchable. Is it coincidence that I have met more like me on this website than I have ever met in my life? I've stated in another thread that this is not something that I share with others anylonger because I've learned that people usually just don't do this and you're regarded as a freak if you do. I do think it is because of N that I have this ability (acknowledging that others w/o N do the same), but not because of malfunction. Or would it be that this malfunction is actually serving a purpose and is functioning as it should be? I mean, sometimes these things do not come to pass. Sometimes I've forced the issue. Sometimes I may make a bigger deal out of something than I should. BUT they number of times that I've been right is boggling. And how does that account for a few other things? Too many questions, and probably even more answers that we aren't capable of understanding. Yeah, maybe it does open a different pathway in our brains that others don't have access to, but in order to do that, other paths have been roped off limits. This is a stream of consciousness ramble, so I'll close here. I hope that I addressed what you were saying.

#39 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (Irishhh @ Mar 18 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as the mouse goes, this makes me very upset to hear about. Their brain is not our brain, why would they do such a mean thing? and plus, if you removed other parts of the brain first, it's functioning would be different anyway! ugh!!!

I agree. Way back when, they even did mean things to people. Stanford Prison Experiment anyone? The standards for scientific research on people and animals has become a lot more strict. You have to give some REALLY good reasons why you'd need to do anything even remotely like what they used to do. And even then, it's not necessarily going to be approved. And you're totally right about the different functioning. They just didn't know enough about the brain back then. It's still a pretty mysterious thing.

#40 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Irishhh @ Mar 18 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wonder...

That is exactly the Kinda of thing Dr. Powell is looking into. She has been doing resaerch on ESP and various neurological disorders. When you get a chance check our her profile. She is very busy lately, but will try to come on and talk to us as time permits. fell free to send her a message if you have a specific question. Her book is really awesome dont forget to look at that too!