Marcianna

Narcolepsy And The Paranormal

Narcolepsy and the Paranormal   54 members have voted

1. 1. I see dead people

• yes
    • no

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

79 posts in this topic

Are we some form of some...thing's SIMM game?

I am definitely someone's Sims game. That would explain the Cow Plant in the back yard... :huh:

If some one told me we were recycled into Captain Crunch cereal boxes when the end comes I cant disbelieve that. until I go to the factory myself to see it.

zomg! Soilent Captain Crunch is made out of peeeeople!!! :o

Sorry for the silliness. I will post more serious stories when I'm not so high on cold medicine. :blink:

Chimbakka that was a great story! I have had situations like that myself. I totally know where you are coming from on that one. Premonitions are just one of those things that are so difficult to explain. It is what it is you know? Aside from knowing ahead of time have you or anyone else had situations where you knew something was happening Right then? similar to your story? Or maybe you were dreaming of it while it was happening? I have had that twice. Both situatuons (years apart) were while friends of mine were being murdered. It was HORRIBLE.

And dogdreams? cold meds really? lol... be careful! Dayquil makes me halucinate!!!

keep up with the stories!

I think to many people are afraid of being accused of being crazy, or having it blamed on Narcolepsy.

But I think that it is a safe bet that that wont happen here...

And dogdreams? cold meds really? lol... be careful! Dayquil makes me halucinate!!!

I do a tiny bit, but it's not so bad and really better than the alternative pain I'm experiencing. I have to get through my day at work!

In answer to your dream question, when I was in high school I was riding home from a pow-wow with a boy that I liked. His dad was driving and I fell asleep in the back seat. I had this horrible experience of kind of half awake but felt like I was choking on smoke and kept calling out for my mom. Turns out a childhood friend of mine was dying in a basement fire that night. I wrote a song about it but it's a really depressing song. I think I've lost the lyrics, etc.

But on a somewhat happier note, ok well not really, when dogs that I know die, like pets or dogs I know, they always come by that night or the next day to say goodbye. And no matter what the circumstances of their deaths, they're always so happy and say "Thank you". thank you for taking care of me, or thank you for ... whatever, I guess. It's really touching. I had one even pop her little ghosty head out of thin air just to lick my nose.

Anyway, I'm always really hesitant to share my ghost stories for fear of being called crazy, but I'll try to share some here tonight. I have so many, I'm not sure where I'd begin, but I can assure you it's not N-related. I have witnesses and other things to validate my experiences. Like meeting people after they've died, and talking about it with people that knew them alive, and having everything totally validated as far as experiences and personality, etc.

Ok, ok, here's my first story. Years ago, in the early '90's, when I was in high school, my sister got a Ouija Board. Ok, maybe I should back up. Now I'm going to tell you stuff that I usually don't tell anyone, so...don't be mean, ok? (I'm just so insecure! lol)

Ever since I was a little kid, I could sense ghosts. The hallway and attic in my old house were terrifying to me. On the stairs in the downstairs hallway I always got a picture in my head of a woman in an electric blue dress--Victorian style dress-- and in the attic was a very angry man. And every night someone would walk across my ceiling, back and forth for about an hour. I always accused my parents of being up there until I realized they were in bed asleep. And just to prove how brave I was, I spent the night alone in the attic one night. I sure was glad when morning came! Turns out the house was built by Simon Lake for his son to live in, sometime in the late 1800's. The son aspired to be more than he was (hence the maid's quarters in the attic) but never achieved greatness or wealth and killed himself in the house (i'm guessing the attic.) Oooh big surprise there. <_< I often wish I could go back and talk to these ghosts but I doubt I'll ever see that house again. Oh well.

I kind of forgot about ghosty stuff for awhile, but when we moved to Southern California, things started happening again. It was a brand new house, but the lot, of course, was old and had a lot of 'leftovers'. When I'd come up the stairs from the garage it felt like hands were reaching out to grab me to pull me back down. When I played the piano, I got this creepy feeling that got worse and worse until *crash*! Something fell in the kitchen and the cats went running. I turned around and there was this young man with blond hair in a white tank top standing at the bottom of the stairs staring at me with malice, fists clenched at his side. We moved the piano out of the dining room and into the living room and those events stopped. Sometimes the house would suddenly smell like blueberry muffins for no reason. I'd run downstairs thinking my mom was cooking, only to find the kitchen empty. Our neighbor had the same thing happen at her house.

So, one day my little sister got a Ouija Board. By this time I was able to talk to the ghosts. I still couldn't see them or hear them, but I could see them in my head how they saw themselves, and could figure out their names and have conversations by talking to them out loud and getting these 'gists' of answers from them coming at me...not words, but the feeling behind them. It's hard to explain. So there was this ghost in our house who called himself S.D. He never gave more info than that. He had a light blue button-down shirt on and was very nice. When he sat on the couch to watch TV with us, no one would sit in his spot even though they didn't know he was there. They'd actually move if they sat on him.

We used the Ouija Board just as a game, but ended up meeting the plethora of ghosts in our house. There was the girl that overdosed on drugs in the '60's (our neighbor confirmed that actually happened.) A little boy, etc. But S.D. was the one we talked to the most. He told us that he was from New Jersey (I think) and he was on a business trip to San Diego when the plane crashed. He started wandering around amusement parks trying to find someone he could communicate with. (this happened a few times to us and I think it's a pretty common practice.) He followed me home from a school trip to Sea World a few years before.

He had been engaged to a woman named Emily and wanted only to find her again to say good-bye, but when he went back to his old house, she was gone. So he hung out at our house for years asking us to help him find her. But he wouldn't tell us his name or her last name, so what could we do? After a few years and I was an adult, he finally told me her last name. He also told me his first name: Stephen. So I did an internet search and came up with 3 e-mail accounts under his fiancee's name. I decided, for his sake, I'd just e-mail all 3 with a brief message saying I was looking for a woman of her name engaged to a man with his name who died in a plane crash on the way to San Diego around the year he died. I didn't expect anything of it, maybe a rant about me being crazy, or at least a "sorry, don't know".

For awhile, nothing happened. Then about a week later I got one response: "What do you want?" :blink: I was shocked at first. But I simply wrote back a brief synopsis and that was it. He just wanted to say goodbye. I didn't want anything. She never replied, but the e-mail search showed she had moved to Maryland and I think that's why he couldn't find her. She was in a different state. After that he disappeared for a very long time. He came back a couple of times after, but wasn't very strong. I think it really was her and he was finally able to move on. I sure hope so. He seemed kind of mad about her, maybe because she'd moved on or found someone new. He wouldn't say.

Lots more has happened to me since then, like now I can channel the ghosts and let them talk directly through me, but that's enough for one night I guess. I hope you don't think I'm insane now...

I just wanted to tell all of you we have a new member! Her Screen name is ESPMD she is a Nueroscientist and Nueropsycholgist Who has greatly inspired me with her work! She has written a book called the Esp Enigma and I highly highly recomend it! I have asked her to join us so that she can answer questions for us and discuss the very grey area's we have on this topic. She is a highly respected Doctor in her field and I am so glad she has found the time to share with us!!!

Thx M, I hope I didn't scare her away. I'm having serious cognitive problems right now. No making fun of it this time, such as: can't........ think..........

Anyway...

The dead people thing. I don't think that it's a coping mechanism. How many of you think that having loved ones come to us later is just our brain processing the death? Like I said in the other thread: I think that they bring us messages. at least i think i said it in the other thread... :o but then, my dad did come to let me know that my mother was about to pass, which was true, and he visited her at the same time. He told us both that he was waiting for her.

Has anyone ever thought that maybe our experiences are because of our N and not because we are special? Maybe we experience these things because of malfunctions in our mind.

It could definitely be the opposite, like maybe we experience them because we have undiscovered functions... They say we use about 10% of our brain. I don't know how true that is, or what that really means... but who knows.

I used to think I was very connected, very intune... Now I'm questioning if the things I've seen were real at all. Maybe my mind made them up. Of course I want to believe I've had these amazing things happen to me, that I've been lucky, but I don't know if I have.

I do know that I'm extremely connected to emotions. I can feel others feelings. If they are up, down, angry, etc. I soak it all up. I used to think thats what made me so tired, from taking on myself and everyone else.

I wonder...

Sure, I've thought this countless times. But, more often than not, I'm with someone who's experiencing the same thing, and it's not another PWN. If it was just me, I'd certainly consider that it's just my N, but when I get so many others saying "yeah, I feel that, too" at the same time, well...then I can only conclude that it's something outside me and quite possibly very real. Especially when it can be captured on film.

As a neuroscience major, I can tell you exactly where the 10% thing came from. It's a misnomer. There was a scientist a long time ago (before this sort of thing was frowned upon) that ran a rat through a maze and before each run would scoop out a bit of its brain to see how little brain it needed to run the maze successfully. Guess how much was left before it started failing?

You use 100% of your brain. We all do. Maybe we're more 'connected' because we're always so close to sleep. Maybe it has nothing to do with N at all. But I doubt it's all just a hallucination. I mean, there's no way that I could talk with the ghost of a dead man I never knew, get the correct names of his family members before I ever met them, and have his whole family and psychotherapist tell me I got every detail of his personality right if he was just a hallucination.

I know there are some things that have happened to me too that I do not think are related to the N. I mostly wonder about this when it comes to someone waking up and seeing something. If those things are real or not. That's so cool that you were able to get all that right! I wish more people would listen to those who say that they have experienced things. I understand being skeptical, but also at the same time, if someone is so right on about something, how do you just disregard it like it means nothing? As far as the mouse goes, this makes me very upset to hear about. Their brain is not our brain, why would they do such a mean thing? and plus, if you removed other parts of the brain first, it's functioning would be different anyway! ugh!!!

Has anyone ever thought that maybe our experiences are because of our N and not because we are special? Maybe we experience these things because of malfunctions in our mind.

It could definitely be the opposite, like maybe we experience them because we have undiscovered functions... They say we use about 10% of our brain. I don't know how true that is, or what that really means... but who knows.

I used to think I was very connected, very intune... Now I'm questioning if the things I've seen were real at all. Maybe my mind made them up. Of course I want to believe I've had these amazing things happen to me, that I've been lucky, but I don't know if I have.

I do know that I'm extremely connected to emotions. I can feel others feelings. If they are up, down, angry, etc. I soak it all up. I used to think thats what made me so tired, from taking on myself and everyone else.

I wonder...

That's what I was saying in another one of my posts regarding ESP, etc. I've had visions of what's to come, what has been, a connection with ancestors, (I made the trip over from what I suppose is Siberia), communication with the beyond, a feeling of what's going on, the ability to "feel" others, if something isn't safe, etc. Of course, I have been prone to try and force these feelings, which never works. I do feel like our sleeping wakefulness keeps our "window" open to the other world or another plane of existence. I think that we are more in tune to the spirituality of what's going on around us. I don't know if that's really the right word to use. No, sounds too New Agish - which I definitely am not. Sometimes I feel like a bridge because I have people come to me even years after they have died, and it's not scary. Seeing something or knowing something is going to happen before it does is not scary. One "coincidence" (which I strongly do NOT believe in) that occurred on this website is beyond comprehension. Some of us can be connected in the weirdest ways, and for what purpose? We most likely will never know, but it's no coincidence that we meet who we do.

Am I getting off topic? But sometimes our hallucinations are POWERFUL, and our intuition is unmatchable. Is it coincidence that I have met more like me on this website than I have ever met in my life? I've stated in another thread that this is not something that I share with others anylonger because I've learned that people usually just don't do this and you're regarded as a freak if you do. I do think it is because of N that I have this ability (acknowledging that others w/o N do the same), but not because of malfunction. Or would it be that this malfunction is actually serving a purpose and is functioning as it should be? I mean, sometimes these things do not come to pass. Sometimes I've forced the issue. Sometimes I may make a bigger deal out of something than I should. BUT they number of times that I've been right is boggling. And how does that account for a few other things? Too many questions, and probably even more answers that we aren't capable of understanding. Yeah, maybe it does open a different pathway in our brains that others don't have access to, but in order to do that, other paths have been roped off limits. This is a stream of consciousness ramble, so I'll close here. I hope that I addressed what you were saying.

As far as the mouse goes, this makes me very upset to hear about. Their brain is not our brain, why would they do such a mean thing? and plus, if you removed other parts of the brain first, it's functioning would be different anyway! ugh!!!

I agree. Way back when, they even did mean things to people. Stanford Prison Experiment anyone? The standards for scientific research on people and animals has become a lot more strict. You have to give some REALLY good reasons why you'd need to do anything even remotely like what they used to do. And even then, it's not necessarily going to be approved. And you're totally right about the different functioning. They just didn't know enough about the brain back then. It's still a pretty mysterious thing.

I wonder...

That is exactly the Kinda of thing Dr. Powell is looking into. She has been doing resaerch on ESP and various neurological disorders. When you get a chance check our her profile. She is very busy lately, but will try to come on and talk to us as time permits. fell free to send her a message if you have a specific question. Her book is really awesome dont forget to look at that too!

I agree. Way back when, they even did mean things to people. Stanford Prison Experiment anyone? The standards for scientific research on people and animals has become a lot more strict. You have to give some REALLY good reasons why you'd need to do anything even remotely like what they used to do. And even then, it's not necessarily going to be approved. And you're totally right about the different functioning. They just didn't know enough about the brain back then. It's still a pretty mysterious thing.

Ohhhhhh, those were bad. Evil experiments. Did anyone see the special that has aired a few times on TV? History, NGC, or Discovery channel. I think the History Channel. To actually see these things happening is what made it so real. Man can do unspeakable things to fellow man, but like I just said: to see it happening is voyeurism at its worst.

Ohhhhhh, those were bad. Evil experiments. Did anyone see the special that has aired a few times on TV? History, NGC, or Discovery channel. I think the History Channel. To actually see these things happening is what made it so real. Man can do unspeakable things to fellow man, but like I just said: to see it happening is voyeurism at its worst.

I agree all those types of things were horrible. Absolutely unspeakable. But to be honest if if science had not done things the way they did back in the day, where would we be now? probably still leaching ourselves if we have a fever, or performing labodamy's on girls who are a bit cranky during PMS. And as far as the Esp part of it.... We would all be hung as witches. Thank god research now is bsed on volunteers!

To be honest, I still feel like modern medicine is still a lot like this. Especially for women. I can't tell you how many doctors and nurses tried to blame my N/C on my period, pregnancy, or just wanting attention from my boyfriend. I'm sure "hysterical female on the rag" has been written in more than one of my charts over the years. :lol: But yeah we have made progress and we do use what has been learned through some of the studies of questionable ethics because they still give us information about how we work. We just try to be much more ethical going forward when we build upon that knowledge.

In the name of science... Hitler, the 3rd Reich, etc. ... but yes, we have all benefited from immoral scientific experiments. What's odd is how most people don't perceive the experiments are immoral until afterwards. I don't remember the name of the scientist/ psycologist that performed the Stanford experiment, but he did have a good deal of remorse and he is able to see that he was just as caught up in it at the time, which provided knowledge in how easy it is for man to become a product of his environment. I believe that this experiment was used as evidence in the Abu Gharab (sp?) court martials.

But then, I can't help but think of biological warfare, etc. that has been perpetrated on innocent peoples.... but this is not part of this thread...

hmmm you are right.. .we are gettin a bit off topic here. lets keep it to the spooky stuff k? New threads for other subjects can always be made!

It has been some time since anyone has posted on this particular subject, but i have been accused of not getting to know the others on the network so i thought i would do some surfing for subjects and this is one i am particurlary interested in..........i do believe in another side or alternative realities , there are many opinoins on this subject and depending on the ones you read is whether these conditions are insanity,visions, possession, an alternative self or onr of many other explanations, after having dealt with numerous problems with my diagnosis of narcolepsy and not getting any help understanding it or having people to help me or support me in my life situation i decided to enter the field of mental health and try to understand the language and diagnosis that were being used onme........... this helped me to see where the terms and explanations that were being used were coming from but also showed me that what was being studied and utilized was not really a form of mental illness but more a form of judgemental societal constructs. this takes us back to the individual that you read or study with usually helps to form our understanding or opinoin on the subject, unless you bother to go to more than one source or opinoin on the subject.

i do not know how many of you have had the problem of being misdignosised with a mental illness instead of narcolespy or even after having a diagnoised of narcolepsy from one of the leading people in the field other doctors and people in the medical field do not accept the condition and send you

on a journey with deep valleys and rough terrain.

i am tending to go on here and seemingly not discuss the subject of hallucations and paranormal

conditions but i wanted to show some background (because i was also asked who i am and what i know about the subject so i am trying to answer my questionairer) anyway when discussing narcolepsy and you are asked what are the symptoms of it is it is rather daunting to say cataplexy, sleep paralysis, and hapgonic hallucations, these are not often used words.

just a short note to say i got cut off when i was doing my last post here so i will come back and work on it more soon, also sorry about all the spelling errors i did not get them corrected before the site posted my piece..............bb jill

OOOOOO sweet this looks good, cant wait till you come back with the rest!

sorry about the abrupt way i ended the last discussion (and not correcting the spelling)but the page sort of took off on me and so i decided to come back later and so now is later...........we were discussing the symptoms of narcolepsy which are sleep paralysis, cataplexy, and hypnagogic hallucinations and i was making the point that these are not words that are commonly known or used especially outside the medical field, so that when we are asked to explain to others what is wrong with us or what narcolepsy is it can be difficult to correctly explain the condition and its symptoms........i have a very good neurologist that is my doctor for my narcolepsy but his is not into long discussion regarding the circumstances and conditions that surround living with narcolepsy, he is always telling me to explain to people about it myself and he is right i should and i do BUT unfortunately people do not think that i know or understand about what i am talking about because i am not a doctor, so we get caught on a spinning wheel...not knowing where to turn

hey moon madness, it's me again! if u have n, it'd b nice to see u on here as a member- not just for ur expertise!

my neurologist stated that psychiatrist is hand in hand with neurologist. amazing how the field differs! however, he did NOT say the reverse is true for psychiatrists.

why don't u post the references here anyway? i would be interested in seeing them, but actually having the capability to read them is most likely not going to happen. i can't stay focused long enough.

i've been told by my doctors that i do not have mental health disorders (which is new since being dx'd w/ n, otherwise, this is what happened to me my whole life, which was HORRIBLE). they say that the effects of n on a person can be similar to mental illness. some may say, well, what's the diff? i've got a good example: my father had brain tumors for 20 years. multiple surgeries. HE WAS INSANE, but imagine what it must be like to have a tumor applying pressure to brain tissue. you're just not going to function normally. (then there's also the problems created by having multiple full cranial surgeries). this is an example of an organic problem, um, i don't remember how to explain it. but n is somewhat similar. there is a lot that is happening (or not happening, or not happening appropriately) in an n brain. also, the effects of inappropriate sleep, no sleep, and sleep related meds can cause some tremendously extreme behavior. (i'm raising my hand on this one). i made a comment yesterday on a diff thread that sleep deprivation is a form of torture. what is insomnia? sleep deprivation. what is inappropriate sleep? sleep deprivation. an affect of n can include some form of mental illness though, and why not? it's horrible trying to live a life that is difficult to physically participate in.

but, moonmadness, how does this explain the experiences that some of us have with the otherside? my dreams end up becoming a reality. i see things, past and future. not all the time. sometimes it is a metaphor, but does that mean that it ends up being a coincidence? there is too much that occurs for me to believe in coincidences. i know that i'm not the only one on here that does this. there are a few of us. mm, what has been your experience with this topic?

i will try to answer your questions and shed some light on our discussions.

as i have said before i have narcolepsy and sleep apena and have been diagnosed for over thirty years now. i am a member of this forum; a lot of these things were discussed when i wrote some on the "being told where to go" discussion and that was why i wanted to stay in one discussion because it gets confusing trying to not repeat yourself but i will try to stay current.

are there any particular types of references you would like to have?

sorry this is short but i am not ina talking mood today.

This still doesn't explain me. ;)

The slippery slope we get pushed down is when we are un-dx'd and start telling Docs about the demons that grab us by the gonads and smack us around. Can't blame "Aunt Flo" in my case. That's when we dangerously get labled "Bi-Polar"...or some other mental disorder.

I have mass empathy for people who suffer from a mental disorder. This came from being placed with them in a "respite" during the absolute worse part of my life. Geeze, you would think that after Zyprexa made the situation worse, they would have rethought the DX. Instead..."We don't know what the problem is. Maybe it would be best if we release him"

But I digress...

I'm convinced our condition has effected all of us in ways we often ignore, or choose to forget. I know the way I approach my personal relationships isn't the same. I have hallucinations when I wake up and when I fall asleep. I fall down when I laugh. My body has no concept of a normal sleep time. This is bound to effect my ability to "relate".

The human brain is deep and complex. What we think is paranormal COULD be neurons firing at wierd times. I tend to think most of what we think as paranormal could be a sort of "glitch", but look/feel/appear like something else.

I'm not discounting what some believe by any means. I'm just saying we could be too close to what feels like a paranormal experience to see what it really could be.

To be honest, I still feel like modern medicine is still a lot like this. Especially for women. I can't tell you how many doctors and nurses tried to blame my N/C on my period, pregnancy, or just wanting attention from my boyfriend. I'm sure "hysterical female on the rag" has been written in more than one of my charts over the years. laugh.gif But yeah we have made progress and we do use what has been learned through some of the studies of questionable ethics because they still give us information about how we work. We just try to be much more ethical going forward when we build upon that knowledge.