Photo

Narcolepsy And The Paranormal

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Poll: Narcolepsy and the Paranormal (49 member(s) have cast votes)

I see dead people

1. yes (23 votes [46.94%])

Percentage of vote: 46.94%

2. no (26 votes [53.06%])

Percentage of vote: 53.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:58 PM

I have heard that people with Narcolepsy have certain abilities and connections to the other side. They also can be more prone to things we dont encounter on a daily basis such as Telekanesis and empathic abilities. I know in my case some of these type of things are true. Anyone else out there who are prone to the paranormal? Lets talk about this!

#2 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 04 August 2008 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 4 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have heard that people with Narcolepsy have certain abilities and connections to the other side. They also can be more prone to things we dont encounter on a daily basis such as Telekanesis and empathic abilities. I know in my case some of these type of things are true. Anyone else out there who are prone to the paranormal? Lets talk about this!

I wonder how many people discount the possibility of something like this. Does it still occur if you are not open to that kind of connection?

#3 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Lovemyhusband @ Aug 5 2008, 03:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wonder how many people discount the possibility of something like this. Does it still occur if you are not open to that kind of connection?

hmmm. good question. I never thought about it.
Grant's my friend on Myspace. I'll ask him. lol. kidding.
Seriously, I'm not sure.

#4 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:58 AM

If we are energy, and energy never "dies" but just changes it's form...maybe.

Are we worm food until a Messiah comes back?
Will we sit on a throne of judgement in some form or another in the future?
Are we some form of some...thing's SIMM game?

I can't say for sure I see dead people, but I know I've seen people that just seem dead. They've given up on life, and have lost the joy of what it means to be alive...No matter what that really means.

#5 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 4 2008, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmm. good question. I never thought about it.
Grant's my friend on Myspace. I'll ask him. lol. kidding.
Seriously, I'm not sure.

A little off topic but I think Grant is such a hottie.

#6 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (Lovemyhusband @ Aug 5 2008, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A little off topic but I think Grant is such a hottie.

(shhhh! I know! We cant talk about that or I will get all giggly!) wub.gif

#7 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE (greatbig47 @ Aug 5 2008, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we are energy, and energy never "dies" but just changes it's form...maybe.

Are we worm food until a Messiah comes back?
Will we sit on a throne of judgement in some form or another in the future?
Are we some form of some...thing's SIMM game?

I can't say for sure I see dead people, but I know I've seen people that just seem dead. They've given up on life, and have lost the joy of what it means to be alive...No matter what that really means.

I never discount anything myself. If some one told me we were recycled into Captain Crunch cereal boxes when the end comes I cant disbelieve that. until I go to the factory myself to see it.

I just think all things are possible.
I am sorry you know people like that. I think we all do. Dont let their negative influence affect you. Remember you can absorb that energy, or you can filter it. Go with filter.... you'll be better off.

#8 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Use to be Karate, swimming and cars

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 5 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never discount anything myself. If some one told me we were recycled into Captain Crunch cereal boxes when the end comes I cant disbelieve that. until I go to the factory myself to see it.

I just think all things are possible.
I am sorry you know people like that. I think we all do. Dont let their negative influence affect you. Remember you can absorb that energy, or you can filter it. Go with filter.... you'll be better off.

I mean anything is possible i mean e.t. went home.lol rolleyes.gif

#9 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:44 AM

Here is an interesting example of me being not sure what is real and not real. Lots of narcoleptics have had experiences while in SP with seeing Sucubus and Incubus. (I'm not sure I spelled that right.) I heard it is actually very common. I dont know much about demons and such but as far as I know those things can only appear if you invite them in some way. I used to see them but I haven't in years. I simply decided not to anymore. Now I see other things.... Any way I'm getting off track here.

How is the best way to tell if you are halucinating or seeing something for real? This is how I decifer it. If you are in SP, chances are it is not real. But if not then there is a possibilty you saw a spirit or shadow or whatever it is you ran across.

The one instance during SP I'm not sure of is this: I would have reacurring SP where I would be dragged off the bed by my feet by some kind of demon who was just all kinds of scary. Then I would come out of it and nothing was there. EXCEPT FOR ONCE.
And this one time, when I came out of it I was laying at the bottom of my bed and the sheets were all pulled as if I had been dragged there. Now here is where I suddenly get super freaky and you guys all think I'm a tart. I know I can levitate. I have done it before by accident, back in High school. It scared the crap out of me. The thing is: Was I being dragged off the bed by a demon? Or was I subconsciously moving myself in that way, thinking I was being dragged? Could I have just levitated during this particular SP session and moved along the top of my bed in a dragging motion?

****Ok now to explain something real quick so no no one things I'm crazy. The time I levitated in HS I was actually sleeping, dreaming about flying which I actually do alot. I dreampt I was in my room and about to fly out the window. I rolled over and was facing down about 4 feet off the ground about two feet away from my bed. Then for some reason I realized suddenly that I was not asleep and as soon as I did, I hit the floor Very hard face first. It sucked. It hurt. I even had bruising after that.

So I have no doubts about that part any way.

So anyone have thoughts on this.
Be nice I just bared my soul.

#10 Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Pottery, music, my boyfriend, watching movies and going to comedy clubs.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:38 AM

I see dead people alot. I literally went nuts before finding out I had narcolepsy. For about three weeks shortly before being diagnosed I would see them several times throughout the day. I even broke down and told a friend that I was seeing dead people. I would see them at work, on the streets, at home.

When I was in seventh grade I saw a ghost lady at the foot of my bed. She seemed so real. It still creeps me out thinking about it. Seven years ago I ran from my room screaming that I'd just stepped on a lady with hair over her face. I don't remember doing that but my husband and friend told me about it the next day. Another time in high school I was with a few friends driving around and I swear we ran over an old lady.

Now I just assume I'm dreaming when I see them. I have wondered about the possibility of narcoleptics having some kind of connection with the other side (or whatever). Like maybe since we're in a half-state of asleep all the time, our minds are more relaxed and open to whatever comes before it.

#11 RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Trying to stay awake, failing that, how to sleep comfortably.
    Experimental methods of removing drool from T-shirts.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:08 AM

I would like to think that all the bizarre experiences I've had really meant something. Before I knew what I had I did at times think that something very strange was going on. This was to the point where I refused to sleep at home because I thought 'something' was out to get me. I managed to convince myself that this was not the case as 'it' went wherever I did. The hallucinations and sleep paralysis are terrifying, even now after all these years, and the vivid dreams can either be hours of bliss or terror whichever way your mind goes.
Now I pretty much believe that it's the sleep disorder and not much else. I'm open minded but it would take a lot to prove to me that I'm connected to anything other than my pillow. I'm not saying that there's not something else, I do believe in the possibility of parallel dimensions. As someone stated, energy never dies it's just transformed from one thing to another, and we function by energy being transferred in the brain. In my case I just don't think it's anything other than the SP and HH.

#12 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Ashley @ Aug 12 2008, 06:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see dead people alot. I literally went nuts before finding out I had narcolepsy. For about three weeks shortly before being diagnosed I would see them several times throughout the day. I even broke down and told a friend that I was seeing dead people. I would see them at work, on the streets, at home.

When I was in seventh grade I saw a ghost lady at the foot of my bed. She seemed so real. It still creeps me out thinking about it. Seven years ago I ran from my room screaming that I'd just stepped on a lady with hair over her face. I don't remember doing that but my husband and friend told me about it the next day. Another time in high school I was with a few friends driving around and I swear we ran over an old lady.

Now I just assume I'm dreaming when I see them. I have wondered about the possibility of narcoleptics having some kind of connection with the other side (or whatever). Like maybe since we're in a half-state of asleep all the time, our minds are more relaxed and open to whatever comes before it.

That is interesting. was it always the same old lady? That does sound mad creepy. If it was me, I would have pee'd. ::shivers::

#13 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 13 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

Along the lines of paranormal, but not quite..

After my husband learned about sleep paralysis as one of the symptoms of Narcolepsy (I'm the one with N, but I don't have sleep paralysis -- it was just in some reading), he stated that he wonders if people who think they've been abducted by aliens really have Narcolepsy.

With the sleep paralysis, hallucinations, and missing time due to microsleep/automatic behavior -- he made an immediate connection to some of the things that the alien abductees claim to have experienced.

What do you think??

#14 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:32 PM

Very interesting... about the alien abductions just being someone with N. You have to wonder about it... the people who claim it are so convinced its true. A hypnagogic hallucination is VERY convincing!

I used to have crazy hallucinations up until about 14. I didn't think it was aliens though... I was on the religion kick instead. I was sure the devil visited my room frequently and then finally one day God did too, and the hallucinations stopped. Now I've realized that they stopped when I was put on antidepressants. Antidepressants limit your REM sleep, so I wasn't dreaming anymore or having hallucinations. Although they've all come back this summer... I went off the antidepressants and it's been great except for the dreaming... I keep waking up terrified.

#15 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (Kimberly @ Aug 13 2008, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Along the lines of paranormal, but not quite..

After my husband learned about sleep paralysis as one of the symptoms of Narcolepsy (I'm the one with N, but I don't have sleep paralysis -- it was just in some reading), he stated that he wonders if people who think they've been abducted by aliens really have Narcolepsy.

With the sleep paralysis, hallucinations, and missing time due to microsleep/automatic behavior -- he made an immediate connection to some of the things that the alien abductees claim to have experienced.

What do you think??

Personally I have never been abducted by aliens. But I know people who think they have. This is a really good question I hope I'm not the only one who replies! Anyway, I suppose your husband assumptions could be correct in some cases. But that does not explain the people who came back with weird unidentifyable stuff stuck up their nose.... and other places. (lol)

I think that because there is no proof of something existing doesn't mean that it doesn't.

In my opinion it seems alot of the stuff people see during SP are things they are afraid of. In my case as a child, demons, giant dinosaurs, giant snakes, easter bunny, that sort of thing.
(I'll bet there are some people out there in SP seeing there mother in laws. lol)
I used to have serious Audio Hallucinations of demons telling me I was going to hell. I would sit in the hallway and cry and pray that would not happen and apologize to God over and over, I was so scared. But then I would see angels too. It was like living a bad movie where there is some kind of battle for my soul. This went on alot. SP or not. But at that period of my life I was in a weird spiritual crisis, absolutly terrified of death and the beyond and what to believe. But since I have resolved that, and am no longer afraid of what will come of me, I have had not had anything like that happen since. (Now I see alot of cats and the occasional hearing my name. or music and singing.) I really think it was MY FEAR that brought those on.

So it is plausable that if someone fears getting abducted by aliens, then it can happen. in thier minds.
But I wouldn't discount the idea that it could happen for real.

#16 RipVanWinkle

RipVanWinkle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Trying to stay awake, failing that, how to sleep comfortably.
    Experimental methods of removing drool from T-shirts.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:23 PM

Oh that's interesting. Marcianna it's always demons with me too. Trying to drag me off the bed, trying to suffocate me, prodding me. I have vivid dreams about my battle against evil that last the entire night. The other one is home invaders, I think I hear voices, see shadows. Sometimes I'll get up still asleep and check the doors and windows. The hallucinations are VERY real I totally agree with that

#17 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 13 2008, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I have never been abducted by aliens. But I know people who think they have. This is a really good question I hope I'm not the only one who replies! Anyway, I suppose your husband assumptions could be correct in some cases. But that does not explain the people who came back with weird unidentifyable stuff stuck up their nose.... and other places. (lol)

I think that because there is no proof of something existing doesn't mean that it doesn't.

In my opinion it seems alot of the stuff people see during SP are things they are afraid of. In my case as a child, demons, giant dinosaurs, giant snakes, easter bunny, that sort of thing.
(I'll bet there are some people out there in SP seeing there mother in laws. lol)
I used to have serious Audio Hallucinations of demons telling me I was going to hell. I would sit in the hallway and cry and pray that would not happen and apologize to God over and over, I was so scared. But then I would see angels too. It was like living a bad movie where there is some kind of battle for my soul. This went on alot. SP or not. But at that period of my life I was in a weird spiritual crisis, absolutly terrified of death and the beyond and what to believe. But since I have resolved that, and am no longer afraid of what will come of me, I have had not had anything like that happen since. (Now I see alot of cats and the occasional hearing my name. or music and singing.) I really think it was MY FEAR that brought those on.

So it is plausable that if someone fears getting abducted by aliens, then it can happen. in thier minds.
But I wouldn't discount the idea that it could happen for real.

So I am totally replying to my own message here....... I'm a dork like that.

I usually dont concern myself with aliens to much because if they are abducting us, then they could be doing us a favor right? lol....

But this thread must have stuck in the back of my head last night because I totally dreampt that everyone in my family was getting abducted and I had to watch it happen. And finally when it came to me.... they started to take me but didn't because I was "damaged" from Narcolepsy. Bastards. Sounds like some of my ex's. Oh well.

But that is just another really good example of situations from real life incorprating into your sleep state.

(I also dreampt that My BF called Neicey Nash from Clean House to come over and she got mad at him cuz my house wasn't trashed, I just needed to do the dishes and vacuum. lol..... I love that show. )

blah ok it is like 7 am I am sooooo going back to bed now!

#18 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:23 PM

There is something about cats. They hiss at another dead cat, even if that cat was a relative.

I seriously wouldn't like to see dead people. Like when my father died or my aunt I asked them politely not to come and visit me at night it would spook me real bad.

From my feline point of view; dead people are dead and "Game Over" or "Next Level". Not to hang around - it's probably wrong (but what do I know?) .. They should follow the Exit signs or sign up for a rebirth.

Oh yeah and "aliens".

I don't believe they exist (in this Universe) but may exist on parallel dimensions. They also freak the hell out of me. I had a friend once that theorized that these beings live in a dimension which has been cast out from the main line of Evolution.
Like they advanced way too fast and swerved into an overally aggressive and heartless thing. My friend believes Atlantis alluded to that. I think he should write a book such wacky ideas.

And "Demons"

Luckily I don't see them very often.

Ironically they are the "entities" that least scare me.

If I feel or sense one (vision or dreams) - my reflex is to immediately pick up a fight. Like a dog now chasing a cat. I don't like Demons apart from HellBoy , he is OK.

#19 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Henry G @ Aug 14 2008, 06:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah and "aliens".

I don't believe they exist (in this Universe) but may exist on parallel dimensions. They also freak the hell out of me. I had a friend once that theorized that these beings live in a dimension which has been cast out from the main line of Evolution.
Like they advanced way too fast and swerved into an overally aggressive and heartless thing. My friend believes Atlantis alluded to that. I think he should write a book such wacky ideas.

I would absolutely buy book like that it sounds facinating!

#20 Ashley

Ashley

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Pottery, music, my boyfriend, watching movies and going to comedy clubs.

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 12 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is interesting. was it always the same old lady? That does sound mad creepy. If it was me, I would have pee'd. ::shivers::

No, thankfully it wasn't the same old lady following me around.