• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:37 PM

Ok I am way to old to be saying this, But I'm Stupid crazy for Avatar The last Airbender.
It's pretty much the one of the greatest cartoon drama's I have ever seen in my life.
( I say cartoon drama's because technically it cant be considered anime since it was developed in the US.
although it is drawn in the anime style that we all know and love!)

So two weeks ago they aired the final episodes on Nickelodeon. And it was the greatest ending!
I was jumping all around my living room yelling at the TV like I was 9 years old!
(Ironically that is the age group is directed at...)
I watched this show like a religion! I have the first two seasons on dvd.
I have very nicely framed pictures of the world map, and of the site where Iroh's son was killed in battle out side Ba Sing Se.
I bought the toys (for the neice and nephew of course, so they can play with them while they are visiting me)
But seriously. They are really cool toys.

But now its all over there is no more suspense, and I am kinda sad about it. I dont have anything to look forward to now!
I am still waiting for the third season box set though... I can look forward to that!

(So as for the title incase you are wondering... I dont lie awake in bed thinking about how cute cartoon characters are....
That is sorta a joke cuz he is a fire bender... get it? lol!!)

Is anyone else here a fan?

Does anyone else like any other kinds of Anime or Cartoons? Or am I just a total spaz? blink.gif

#2 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Aug 3 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone else like any other kinds of Anime or Cartoons? Or am I just a total spaz? blink.gif

Are you kidding? Your not a spaz or maybe you are and my husband is right there with you LOL! I think more adults watch cartoons these days than kids do. Andre (dh) is a big Avatar fan as well as Sponge Bob. Now that I think about it he has always watched cartoons even before our kids came along. But in all fairness I think they (show creators) gear those shows toward adults anyway. All the hidden humor is not for the kids benefit, they walk away from shows right in the middle while the parents sit glued to the TV.

We also have season 1 & 2 on dvd. Dh is telling me he wants to get season 3 for the kids, yeah right!! He will be first to sit down and watch it.

#3 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (Lovemyhusband @ Aug 4 2008, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you kidding? Your not a spaz or maybe you are and my husband is right there with you LOL! I think more adults watch cartoons these days than kids do. Andre (dh) is a big Avatar fan as well as Sponge Bob. Now that I think about it he has always watched cartoons even before our kids came along. But in all fairness I think they (show creators) gear those shows toward adults anyway. All the hidden humor is not for the kids benefit, they walk away from shows right in the middle while the parents sit glued to the TV.

We also have season 1 & 2 on dvd. Dh is telling me he wants to get season 3 for the kids, yeah right!! He will be first to sit down and watch it.

I never thought of it that way but I think you may be on to something! Seriously kids are more into HS drama's like Zoey 101 or Drake and Josh, Oh lets not forget Hannah Montana! I am not against those shows, they kinda have replaced family sitcoms which you just dont see anymore on the networks. But I think that kids watch them way to young. Seems like junior high would be appropriate.

I cant speak for sponge bob, not a fan really, But Avatar is really great. It has alot of little life lessons in it which is something I look for in my cartoons. You should totally sit down and Really watch them too. I think you will be suprised how well written it is!
You can ditch the kids for a night if you like and make a bonding moment out of it! wink.gif It is terrible romantic in that nonsexual kinda way!

#4 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

OMG. I could just die. I found this AMV about the Agni Kai Between Zuko and his sister Azula.
(agni kai= fight to the death)

Not only is it GREAT, and the song is Perfect, But it really struck a chord with me. Here is why:

This song is dedicated to someone named Mike, and was posted 2 days before my friend Mike was murdered last week on the July 24th. The REAL TRUE IRONY is that My Mike was shot and killed protecting his mother during a robbery. I almost wonder if we are not thinking of the same guy, only the date was set wrong? Sadly I wont be able to message this guy and find out because my stupid computer wont let me sign in or sign up to YOU TUBE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!
sad.gif
I could just freakin cry forever now. This really touched my heart.

I'm adding it to my myspace.

This amv is from the Sozin's comet the final battle. the chic in blue in the back ground is Katara.

Freakin Viacom... angry.gif

#5 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:05 AM

Season three just came out on DVD. Just wanted to inform anyone who may be as big of a fan as I am!

#6 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:37 AM

I religiously watched Avatar with my kids. I'm the one saying, hey, don't go outside to play! Becaue my husband will be home and the last thing that I need to do is sit on my butt watching cartoons. excuse: my kids need to watch it. Right now it's "Star Wars the Clone Wars" on Cartoon Network on Friday night. Even the reruns which take place on Sunday, Wednesday, then Friday again before the new one. Sometimes they come on during the day, and I've noticed a few on TNT. At the same time, we're watching at least one Star Wars movie every 2 days or so. Then this past Christmas the kids needed the Clone Wars animated movie, oh, yeah, and they REALLY needed the Wii Clone Wars Jedi Light Saber game. and Star Wars legos, which I can't seem to stop building with. It's a good thing I've got two boys. What am I going to do when they tire of this. My oldest son said that Captain Rex was my boyfriend and I said any man that walks around with two guns on his hips can be my boyfriend. I think it 's the hip thing. I didn't really say that to my kid. Then Keith said no, that Predator from AVPR was my boyfriend. I can handle that too, but now his girlfriend is the alien queen. We are some sci fi nerds in this house.

#7 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:43 AM

LOL... you dont have to tell me! Born and raised Trekky here. Then Got with a guy who was all about the Empire. There was turning back after that....

#8 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

My boyfriend and I love all things anime. I remember watching "Unico" growing up. rotfl. When I met my boyfriend, I was thinking 'what's all this anime stuff?" and then I saw it and was all "oh yeah I've always watched this. ha!" biggrin.gif

Our all-time favorite is "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" We even got every single Origa album (well as many as we could find...it's difficult since they're import only.) I have the 1st 4 episodes on UMD and I crawl into bed and watch it on my PSP under the covers to relax. It's like my little secret getaway. Once that Tachikoma starts rolling down those stairs and jumps into the air...total relaxation. smile.gif I even have a kick-ass model of a Tachikoma with working parts and a little Major Kusanagi inside. It's my favorite toy!

There was a weird anime series he got on DVD awhile ago called "She: the Ultimate Weapon". It's worth watching if you can find it. We also got into Witchblade (but with the Japanese voices. the US overdubs are terrible...the main character is Bulma's voice from Dragonball. Ugh.) We like Full Metal Alchemist, Super Milk Chan, and just about anything else that plays on Cartoon Network. We watched the entire Evangelian series too.

I even got my son a box of dragonballs for his birthday. They're pretty cool...the stars are molded into the center of the balls, not painted on or anything. He was shocked. It was his favorite present. He doesn't play with them, he just opens the box every morning, counts them, and admires them. No one is allowed to touch them. So cute. We used to watch Dragonball GT when I was pregnant. My son would start doing kung fu moves in the womb when the theme song started playing. Or he'd jump on the bed. rolleyes.gif After he was born he recognized the song and would look up right away when he heard it. We almost named him Goku. wink.gif

#9 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (dogdreams @ Mar 11 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My boyfriend and I love all things anime. I remember watching "Unico" growing up. rotfl. When I met my boyfriend, I was thinking 'what's all this anime stuff?" and then I saw it and was all "oh yeah I've always watched this. ha!" biggrin.gif

Our all-time favorite is "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" We even got every single Origa album (well as many as we could find...it's difficult since they're import only.) I have the 1st 4 episodes on UMD and I crawl into bed and watch it on my PSP under the covers to relax. It's like my little secret getaway. Once that Tachikoma starts rolling down those stairs and jumps into the air...total relaxation. smile.gif I even have a kick-ass model of a Tachikoma with working parts and a little Major Kusanagi inside. It's my favorite toy!

There was a weird anime series he got on DVD awhile ago called "She: the Ultimate Weapon". It's worth watching if you can find it. We also got into Witchblade (but with the Japanese voices. the US overdubs are terrible...the main character is Bulma's voice from Dragonball. Ugh.) We like Full Metal Alchemist, Super Milk Chan, and just about anything else that plays on Cartoon Network. We watched the entire Evangelian series too.

I even got my son a box of dragonballs for his birthday. They're pretty cool...the stars are molded into the center of the balls, not painted on or anything. He was shocked. It was his favorite present. He doesn't play with them, he just opens the box every morning, counts them, and admires them. No one is allowed to touch them. So cute. We used to watch Dragonball GT when I was pregnant. My son would start doing kung fu moves in the womb when the theme song started playing. Or he'd jump on the bed. rolleyes.gif After he was born he recognized the song and would look up right away when he heard it. We almost named him Goku. wink.gif

Goku would be an awesome Name! I love all things DB. It is loosely based on the The story "journey to the west" which is actually a common theme for Anime. I also like how it spans generations it really is a "family" show in that way.

#10 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (Marcianna @ Mar 11 2009, 08:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goku would be an awesome Name!

Yes it would be except in Japanese it means 'snack' or something. Gohan is the same. A cool name but means something stupid in Japanese. tongue.gif Dragonball is the awesomest. I got cut off in the middle of the big tournament against Cell, in DBZ tho...I want to know what happens! Danged ol' Cartoon Network and their incomplete licensing!! May they spend eternity in HFIL!

we are buying the seasons slowly...I'll get there someday. rolleyes.gif

#11 becky

becky

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:life. love. rocking chairs. travel. books. running. the ocean. photography. music. nature. art. copy editing. europe. fishing. yoga. random bits of information. malbecs. sunlight. dunes. crossword puzzles. design. epiphanies. and naps.

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

hahaha, i LOVE adult swim...i think i've probably watched almost all of the main series they've run. i miss the old schedules though--you couldn't beat a line-up that showed cowboy bebop, trigun, big o AND ghost in the shell ALL in one night! they've switched it up a lot in the past few years though...not too much on there in terms of the good old stuff (even though it's not anime, i still miss sealab and space ghost--now THAT'S old school!)

besides the ones above, i absolutely love FLCL. i've got all three dvds--watch 'em all the time. just so entertaining, and animated beautifully. watched blood+ and full metal for a while as well, though i really wish i had bebop on dvd. and shin chan is HILARIOUS.

dogdreams--neon genesis: evangelion is one of my all-time favs. did you ever see the movie? end of evangelion? i had to find it online to watch, but it's good stuff--gives you a little more of an ending than the actual series did haha. my brother used to be OBSSESSED with dbz...haven't heard of or seen it in years though! what happened?

and i can't NOT list akira! it's a classic. and with that, honestly--any movie by the geniuses at studio ghibli (or really anything done by hayao miyazaki) is probably among the best i've ever seen, and easily among the most beautiful/meaningful. i have the entire set of ghibli dvds...princess mononoke, nausicaa, porco russo, spirited away, howl's moving castle--the list goes on! i loves thems. just so pretty to watch! and not to mention most of them make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside tongue.gif