Law Enforcement Jobs?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doscious12

doscious12

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:04 AM

I have served my country for 4yrs.But should i continue to pursue highway patrol as a career?I try to have the confidence that i can still do any thing.Please leave me your opinions.

#2 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (doscious12 @ Jul 24 2008, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have served my country for 4yrs.But should i continue to pursue highway patrol as a career?I try to have the confidence that i can still do any thing.Please leave me your opinions.

Well...yeah! Of course! If it's what you want to do, DO IT! NEVER let anything get in the way of what you want to do with your life!
No one can tell you if it is worth pursuing, except you smile.gif

#3 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 04 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (doscious12 @ Jul 24 2008, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you don't pursue your career the phrase "what if" will haunt you forever. Take it from someone who is living proof of the "what if" syndrome.

#4 lkcty873

lkcty873

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

I am a detective at a county sheriff's office, have been for 10 years. (shhh...don't tell my boss)

Just kidding, I don't advertise that I have N but my immediate supervisor and my partners know, although they still pick on me about being the only detective on second shift because I always show up late for everything.

N is very inconvenient when you realize that you have not heard the last few minutes of your own interview.

I don't have C so that is a relief, but I have wondered if I needed to find a different career, but having a diagnosis doesn't make me any more narcoleptic than I was before diagnosis and I have done a good job for the last ten years so why change now?

#5 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

I've found I'm far more likely to stay awake and perform well at a job I like and find interesting, than just any old job. I love my job now and I never fall asleep. When I worked in an office I was always ready to crash but now I hardly notice it at all. I say if your N hasn't affected your performance in a really negative way, then do what you love. If you have concerns about driving on patrol, maybe there is an alternative position in the same field that will keep you happy.

And yes you CAN do anything if you really want it. It might take some of us longer than others. I had to drop out of school because of my N, but once I got interested in science, I went back, got my degree despite my N and having a baby. Graduating was the happiest day of my life for sure! It took 12 years but I did it. Even more miraculous: I actually found a job in my field after graduation, although it took a lot of resumes to get there! lol