Academic Dismissal!!!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:37 PM

I was diagnosed with N in August. Fall semester I was already on academic suspension, so I went to a community college that semester. I was started on Provigil and it was amazing. I had 16 credits and my grades were all A's and B's. I went back to my university for spring semester, and did terrible again. The provigil was not working for me, and I'm too new with this to really know what I need to be successful. I had 12 credits and got 2 F's and a D+. I just got a letter from the school saying I've been academically dismissed and I'm not sure what I should do now. I only have 1 more year of classes left which makes this insanely frustrating for me.
The reason I didn't pass the classes had nothing to do with my understanding of the material. I did well on all of the exams I took. I just didn't complete a lot of the homework. This isn't because I didn't want to or was being lazy! I read everything and kept up as far as that goes, but with the Provigil not working I just couldn't keep up with the huge number of assignments. All of the professors denied my request for an incomplete. (Although I've been working on the missing assignments anyways.) One professor said I worked too many hours... although I haven't even had a job in almost a year! They said I was late too often and missed too many classes. Throughout the semester I continued to inform them about what was going on and they seemed fine at that point. The disability office is a joke as well. There is 1 person to go through and she was on maternity leave the second half of the semester. She wouldn't have been much help anyways though since at one time she said "You don't really have N... I've had students that really had it." What the heck is that all about... as far as I know she's not a doctor!
I have gotten a letter from my sleep doctor as well as one from my psychologist written to the school. It is a private school and I'm not sure if that gives them any leeway as far as disability services go. Please let me know if you have any advice for me. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

#2 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

You say you had doctor letters & talked to the professors. Had you registered with disability services & arranged an accommodation plan? If so, they may be able to help you. I don't think any schools will go back & change accommodations retroactively. You can likely find your school's disability policies on their website , in the cataolg, or by asking the dean's office for a copy. That may help you see what if any options you have. Is there a way you can be readmitted in a semester or two? What else worked fall semester> Were your classes there at better times? Did you take fewer classes? Were your living arrangements different? If you weren't successful this semester, try and figure out what will help you besides adjusting your medication.

#3 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

While I hope it doesn't get to this point, start looking into an advocate or a lawyer. I don't like frivolous lawsuits, but it seems you really have been wrongfully dismissed. Did they even give you the option to suspend your education for a year or so? At a school like UC San Diego, you can suspend classes indefinitely for any reason and return when you are 80 even to continue your education.

Good luck!
Chris"Toph4er"

#4 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

Merrymom-

I was already registered with Disability services. There is only 1 person who works for it and she has not been much help. I did get some accommodations because in the past I had been diagnosed with ADD. These accommodations were a joke though. I was supposed to get double the amount of time for in class assignments, tests, and quizzes. My professors were not helpful with actually following this. I never had extra time on a quiz. The room they put me in to take tests was an office room with other people working, listening to the radio, and to top it off very poorly lit. The person in charge of disability services just told me it was up to the professors to figure out how to give me extra time, but they weren't doing it. I'm very disappointed in their attempt to help me. As most of you know... people tend to see N as just being lazy or not caring. I'm sure that is what the professors think and it really bothers me.

Fall semester I had more courses, and did very well. My living situation did not change, and I have exhausted my own ideas about how to be a better student. The worst part is that they wouldn't even let me take incompletes and finish the work in summer. The professors said they didn't think it was due to N. They said it was because I worked too many hours. I didn't even have a job though!!! I know I didn't work too many hours... I never even saw a paycheck LoL. The times of the courses were pretty much the same as well.

Toph4er-

Thanks for the tip. I really don't want to have to do that though. I'm a senior and just want to graduate, but I'm not going to give up with this. If they won't help, I will take this to the next level.

I have my appeal meeting on Monday June 23, so I'll keep you all posted as to what's going on.

#5 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

I am so glad to hear you are already registered with disability services. This gives you a start. Focus on the accommodations that you had been found eligible for and that they were not received. Bring any documentation of that you can- a copy of the approved accomodations. List the classes and what accomodations were received are denied. Go through your planner and add as many details as you can- dates, etc where you took the tests with radios blaring etc. Refer to your list- look prepared- they should know you mean business. WHat the professors think of you doesn't matter if you were found eligible for disability services. All they have to know is you are a student with a disability that has been documented. Making other judgments & refusing to accommodate you is a violation of federal law. If there is a reason why your approved accommodations are not reasonable, the university is sure to have a policy where they can dispute a particlar accommodation. I doubt they did that.
When you go to your meeting, bring a list of what you want to cover right down their replies. Confirm it with them- "you are saying I can't take an incomplete because it might rain?"
What do you want to happen? WHat are you willing to settle for? Is there an advocate or attorney you can take with you? At least a friend or parent? Can you tape the meeting? What are your options if the meeting doesn't go well? One might be filing a federal complaint under section 504. Noone wants a federal investigation. This is in addition to any action you may pursue for yourself. If you don't already have it, make sure you get copies of the school's disability policies to see what part of their own policy they haven't followed and what options you may have. If they see you are not only willing, but prepared to go to the next level, you may have a better outcome. Good luck on Monday.

#6 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

Good news, I did not get kicked out of school!

This summer I had continued to work on my course work that I had missed. 2 of the 3 classes I was taking are letting me turn in the late work so that I can still pass the courses from spring semester.

It's kind of funny... I don't think the school really understands N at all or what I'm going through, but at least they are trying to help me now. It took 5 letters from 5 different doctors to get this all figured out!!! That is just crazy, but at least it's working out.

Thanks for your support and ideas... I really appreciated them.

#7 Ms.Vanna

Ms.Vanna

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (Lais02 @ Jun 17 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was diagnosed with N in August. Fall semester I was already on academic suspension, so I went to a community college that semester. I was started on Provigil and it was amazing. I had 16 credits and my grades were all A's and B's. I went back to my university for spring semester, and did terrible again. The provigil was not working for me, and I'm too new with this to really know what I need to be successful. I had 12 credits and got 2 F's and a D+. I just got a letter from the school saying I've been academically dismissed and I'm not sure what I should do now. I only have 1 more year of classes left which makes this insanely frustrating for me.
The reason I didn't pass the classes had nothing to do with my understanding of the material. I did well on all of the exams I took. I just didn't complete a lot of the homework. This isn't because I didn't want to or was being lazy! I read everything and kept up as far as that goes, but with the Provigil not working I just couldn't keep up with the huge number of assignments. All of the professors denied my request for an incomplete. (Although I've been working on the missing assignments anyways.) One professor said I worked too many hours... although I haven't even had a job in almost a year! They said I was late too often and missed too many classes. Throughout the semester I continued to inform them about what was going on and they seemed fine at that point. The disability office is a joke as well. There is 1 person to go through and she was on maternity leave the second half of the semester. She wouldn't have been much help anyways though since at one time she said "You don't really have N... I've had students that really had it." What the heck is that all about... as far as I know she's not a doctor!
I have gotten a letter from my sleep doctor as well as one from my psychologist written to the school. It is a private school and I'm not sure if that gives them any leeway as far as disability services go. Please let me know if you have any advice for me. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I have experienced the same thing repeatedly. I've been suffering with N for about 11 years and have been enrolled in technical schools, private universities, and community colleges. This last time I had the toughest time and still do. I was switched on numerous medications that caused me to have several side effects and I even landed in the hospital 2 times, once for caffeine overdose (trying to stay awake in school). I did keep a good rapport with my teacher and he worked with me relentlessly with my grades and assignments being turned in late. But, I fell so far behind that it was crazy, and am actually still not caught up. But, I'm not quitting, I'm determined to finish somehow, the problem is I don't know "HOW"

#8 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Ms.Vanna @ Jul 17 2008, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have experienced the same thing repeatedly. I've been suffering with N for about 11 years and have been enrolled in technical schools, private universities, and community colleges. This last time I had the toughest time and still do. I was switched on numerous medications that caused me to have several side effects and I even landed in the hospital 2 times, once for caffeine overdose (trying to stay awake in school). I did keep a good rapport with my teacher and he worked with me relentlessly with my grades and assignments being turned in late. But, I fell so far behind that it was crazy, and am actually still not caught up. But, I'm not quitting, I'm determined to finish somehow, the problem is I don't know "HOW"

We're in the same boat, and I'm glad you aren't giving up either. I've been to 3 different schools too. One community college, a state university and now I'm at a public university. Keep trying, and do NOT give up smile.gif I'm sure somehow we'll both finish eventually.

#9 jaided4eva

jaided4eva

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

I am not sure if this will help but I was diagnosed with N in the end of my freshman year of collage and my grades suffered. They wanted to put me on academic supension but through talking to my acadimic advisor I was able to have my whole year removed from my academic record except for the classes that I did well in. The classes that I did well in had to approve for the credits and grades to stay on my record and the cleared the rest off. like they were never there.

#10 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

I wish they would do that for me, but I don't think that will happen. My grades have been slipping for a while previously to being diagnosed. They did however talk to my instructors for me:

Art History... Last semester was my 3rd time taking this!!! My instructor won't budge and won't let me complete my course work over the summer. This subject has nothing to do with my major, and so it's just annoying to keep taking.

Mechanics of Materials... This was my 2nd time in the class! My instructor has agreed to let me finish the course work during the summer though, so I'm excited to be back on track with courses this fall.

Thermodynamics... The was my 3rd time! I actually LOVE this subject and yet I haven't finished it yet. My instructor has not let me know yet if I can complete the work over summer. I think she's in Africa though, so she's difficult to get a hold of at the moment.

These might seem like tough classes to some people, but the only one that scares me is the art history lol. I'm a mechanical engineering major with an electrical engineering minor. I love math and science.

The most annoying thing people tell me is that maybe I should choose an easier major. The thing is, I think this is the easiest major for me, because its what interests me... this is the subject I'm good at, but N does a great job at hiding that.

For art history I'm receiving a medical withdrawal for last semester. The school thinks this is so helpful to me... but it doesn't even help my GPA since this as well as the others were repeat courses. It would be helpful if they went back a few semesters and changed those to medical withdrawals too.

#11 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:11 AM

Wow... it's strange reading this almost a year later. I still haven't passed art history lol although I'm so happy that my meds are right for the first time in my life!

Last summer was so so so hard for me. I love all of you on here! You guys made such a huge impact on my life. I just wanted to thank you all again for the support, encouragement, and wonderful ideas you gave me last year.

My update with school: 1 year left (not even full time) Only 18 more credits smile.gif I actually passed all of my classes fall semester... and I'm pretty sure that will be happening again for my spring semester classes.

#12 Henry G

Henry G

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

Here in the UK if you say you have "Dyslexia" - you get 30 minutes extra to finish your exam.

Don't know about Narcolepsy.

What I do know I almost failed my University because I had a very tough time stay awake or alert during exams. I could have done better with half an hour extra.

#13 Marcianna

Marcianna

• Members
  • 817 posts
  • Interests:Compassion

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:27 AM

We are so glad your doing so much better now Mrs. Roboto! I am very Excited for you!

You get a GOLD STAR!!!

#14 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:17 AM

I had to drop out of school because of my N. I never knew at the time there were disability services. I was simply having too much C to get out of the house and my doctor was being a jerk and wouldn't prescribe anything for it. He thought my dropping out was me being overly dramatic. Eventually I finished my degree...12 years later...elsewhere. I had been a music major and you kind of have to show up all the time to take the classes and perform and take lessons. Not a lot of book work there. I could have gone back after I got treatment, but I decided to take my life in a different direction. Still...it always makes me wonder how life would be if I had gotten some help back then instead of just dropping out.

I'm glad your school didn't kick you out. Since you'd already been going to the disability office and have letters and documentation backing up your N, at least you have some proof if you ever do need to hire a lawyer. I wouldn't have been so lucky.

#15 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

Yikes.

So, I guess this is where we seem to be posting both good and bad school updates and so...

I'm pleased to announce that in February I was accepted into the competitive MFA program at university and that I just found out yesterday that in addition, I have been offerred a full academic scholarship for my graduate studies, as well as a position to teach a class each semester that comes with a generous stipend. I will be teaching film production classes in the media/art department and so they're very hands on, but I've taken the last year off since I graduated with my degrees to rest, find new doctors, remedicate and titrate properly and so, here I go. I'm going to accept both offers and begin at the end of August.

I've worked very hard since last May to find the right doctors who would work well together and in fact one who finally properly dx'd me with N (check), to get onto the best combination of meds that my body can handle and titrate accordingly (check) and to rest (still working on that, as we all know, rest is a mystery to narkies and so I'll put a asterisk next to that one).

Anyway, yes everyone here at NN is so very supportive and like Lais02 I not only felt a need to share with my fellow narkies the good news, but a need to thank you all for cheering one another along.

I don't know whether I'll inform the disability office at the school about my condition yet. I certainly didn't for undergrad and that was extraordinarily intense pressure and work as a double major which come graduation I was literally falling on my face with profound exhaustion, however I've been told by many grad students that grad work is intense, but not nearly in the same way. It's more on your own pace, which would seem to work better for someone battling this condition.

We'll see, if i eventually need to request special circumstances, I'll crack that nut open when I get to it.
Until then: I shall celebrate.

I've worked very, very hard to get here. And I fight, not only for my own good, but for all of us who are at varying levels of functioning so that we may know it is possible: perhaps not right at this moment, perhaps not tomorrow, but somewhere along the line, we find a way. That's what we do.

For those of you who've had to quit university I'd say this:
Don't give up.

I had to quit university twice before, years and years ago as well, but eventually I learned to manage my condition as best I could and therein apply myself efficiently in my own eccentric way so as to approach my studies in my own way and be successful, as a "normal" template for success simply does not apply to narkies.

It is not impossible. And I'm here to tell you it can be done, whether it takes 4 years or 10 years to finish, baby steps or giant leaps: keep moving forward: 1 class at a time, 5 classes at a time, whatever. Online classes, or one class a year: keep moving forward.

We are a strong willed, ambitious people who happen to have a condition that can keep us from remembering that we indeed do have drive, the ambition is still in us, we're just too exhausted to carry it out.

And so, move forward as best you can, no matter the degree: get dressed, write bills, go to the store, go out with friends, take a walk, find a new doc, get a job, go back to school: whatever the move, whatever your degree of current energy and ability, just move: move forward as much as you can everyday, as stasis simply cannot do for people like us who have so very much to give to themselves and others.

best,
jenji

ps jenji will be accepting virtual chocolates as congratulatory gifts. just in case, you know you were wondering.

#16 merrymom1013

merrymom1013

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:25 PM

Chocolates for Jenji & Lais02! That's great news. Congratulations!

#17 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:34 AM

Jenji wow!!! that's wonderful! smile.gif

#18 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 25 April 2009 - 05:12 PM

Fantastic news! Congrats!!

#19 jenji

jenji

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:the arts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

Thanks everyone!

jenji

#20 eww

eww

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:At the moment... mostly sleeping. And then my animals and university.

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:32 PM

Congratulations jenji! I would suggest hooking up with the disability office even if you don't request any accomodations. I suppose I look at it as a precaution. That way it's on record if for any reason you do need them.

Lais, good job in pushing through. Your determination is inspiring.

I just finished my second semester at University (at the ripe old age of 24 lol) and it hasn't gone exactly splendidly. I'm on academic probation and currently my government funding is also on probation. But I live in hope that this coming summer semester will get me out of probation-limbo. I do think that a lot of the issues with professors not taking N seriously is that it does get mixed up with laziness. And universities are well-known for the students that party late into the night and sleep through lectures. My school's disability office is excellent. I get time and a half for all tests and there is someone on hand to wake me up of I fall asleep unexpectedly and I can have mini-naps in the middle of exams. Assignment extensions and note takers are sooooo helpful.

My counsellor is always ready to help and I think that one thing that really hammers it home for him is that while I'm waiting for my appointment I always end up being asleep when he comes to get me. So the first view he gets of me is me usually bent over to the side, mouth open, sleeping away. LOL