Going On Vacation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xiola23

xiola23

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

I will be leaving on Monday afternoon on vacation to Kentucky to visit my good friend. I will be taking a bus since I can't drive that far and since any other way is just too freakin expensive.
The closer Monday gets, the more I'm getting nervous and anxious about it all.
I have pretty much a hermit..a prisoner to my own couch now for the past 2 years. It sometimes takes me everything I have just to make it through a shower and getting back and forth from the grocery store.
I'm not concerned about when I get there and how my friend will react to me sleeping alot...because she has tertiary lyme disease and is currently going through some health issues of her own.
I'm more concerned about the actual bus trip there and back. I have two layovers, one being 1-1/2 hours. Who should I tell, if anyone to make sure I'm awake when its time to board? I don't want to just tell anyone random, for fear they'll take advantage and swipe my computer bag or phone or purse or what-not.
Just wondering how others have handled these situations. I have already missed a plane due to falling a sleep in the airport and not being woken. Its a little un-nerving. I guess I will tell each bus driver indiscretely to make sure i'm awake? But what about during the layovers? Ugghhh..somehow I know everything will work out, but my mind just can't stop thinking about the 'what if's'.
any suggestions?
Thanks!

#2 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (xiola23 @ Jun 14 2008, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will be leaving on Monday afternoon on vacation to Kentucky to visit my good friend. I will be taking a bus since I can't drive that far and since any other way is just too freakin expensive.
The closer Monday gets, the more I'm getting nervous and anxious about it all.
I have pretty much a hermit..a prisoner to my own couch now for the past 2 years. It sometimes takes me everything I have just to make it through a shower and getting back and forth from the grocery store.
I'm not concerned about when I get there and how my friend will react to me sleeping alot...because she has tertiary lyme disease and is currently going through some health issues of her own.
I'm more concerned about the actual bus trip there and back. I have two layovers, one being 1-1/2 hours. Who should I tell, if anyone to make sure I'm awake when its time to board? I don't want to just tell anyone random, for fear they'll take advantage and swipe my computer bag or phone or purse or what-not.
Just wondering how others have handled these situations. I have already missed a plane due to falling a sleep in the airport and not being woken. Its a little un-nerving. I guess I will tell each bus driver indiscretely to make sure i'm awake? But what about during the layovers? Ugghhh..somehow I know everything will work out, but my mind just can't stop thinking about the 'what if's'.
any suggestions?
Thanks!

What I would do is call the company you are traveling with and see what accommodations they have for you. I am sure they have a suggestion and can help ease your concerns. I am not sure about approaching the drivers since they tend to change during the layovers ( I think).

I hope you have a great time!

#3 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

Everything will be fine! As you well know, the more anxious, the higher likelihood of "problems". Remeber, no one else "knows". May I suggest, have your friend call you periodically to keep you alert during the layovers. "Nap-time" is on the bus smile.gif

Hope you have fun!

#4 xiola23

xiola23

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

GREAT IDEA CHUCK! I'll have my mom and my friend call the crap out of me until I answer if I don't the first time. Thank you! Whew!
Thanks everyone for your replies!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ Jun 14 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Everything will be fine! As you well know, the more anxious, the higher likelihood of "problems". Remeber, no one else "knows". May I suggest, have your friend call you periodically to keep you alert during the layovers. "Nap-time" is on the bus smile.gif

Hope you have fun!

#5 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 15 June 2008 - 10:23 AM

Oh, I'm sure ya thot of the phone idear tongue.gif But, again, remember, know one else no's blink.gif Any stress will be at the level you "want" it to be... Have fun! Enjoy yourself!

#6 xiola23

xiola23

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

I didn't really consider the cell phone option since I don't have one. My mom offered me hers to take, but I had said no until you mentioned having people call me....and ding ding ding....now I'm taking her phone with me.
Sometimes I get so overwhelmed in the grand scheme of things I miss the most obvious things. Ugghhh.
Thanks again !
Kat
QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ Jun 15 2008, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh, I'm sure ya thot of the phone idear tongue.gif But, again, remember, know one else no's blink.gif Any stress will be at the level you "want" it to be... Have fun! Enjoy yourself!

#7 Lovemyhusband

Lovemyhusband

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:I love to read, spend time with my family and will always say yes to a trip to an amusement park!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:55 PM

How was your vacation? You will have to fill us in with all the wonderful details when you get a chance.