• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:43 AM

It was bound to happen. On occasion, I have been feeling a bit weak-kneed recently, but I just shrugged it off. It was 3:16am, just standing in the bathroom and relieving nature's call. In my thoughts, I was recalling a joke from an online chat room from earlier in the evening and then it happened. Straight to the floor. Zero control of my legs. I hurt my right wrist a little and strained my right foot. But thankfully, with the knoweledge gained from this forum, I did not panic. I tried to call for my wife, but she did not hear me. I was able to drag myself to the bathroom door, open it, and drag myself down the hallway and to the foot of the bed. I begged for my wife to just pull me up on the bed, thankfully, together, we did this in pretty short order. I pounded the bed as hard as I could in frustration and realized I could still not move anything below my waste. I ask my wife to just wiggle my toes, and freaky as it was, everything just woke up. It took a few minutes to trust myself to stand. And I guess, that was that.

angry.gif

[Addendum: 1:00pm the next day]

Writing this the next day, in hindsight, I wish I had the sense to just go and do the toe wiggle myself. I do recall rubbing my calfs, but this did not seem to help in any way. Am I right in assuming that it needs to be an external touch? Having rubbed my own legs to no avail, but having my wife touch my toes and successfully waking up the legs? Admittedly, this confuses me. Why? Does this make sense to anyone?

#2 xiola23

xiola23

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hope you didn't 'fall in!' blink.gif LOL
In all seriousness though....I'm so sorry to hear you are now experiencing this. Most cataplexy starts from the head down, so this is definitely a nonclassical attack. Do you think maybe it was a partial sleep paralysis episode?
And I guess it would only make sense that a wife's touch would probably spark a different kind of emotion or zap in the brain that could 'flip the switch' back on.
I would definitely keep your doc in the loop about this. I wish you all the best!

#3 Chuck Z.

Chuck Z.

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography

Posted 06 June 2008 - 10:12 PM

I really quizzed the doctor on the fact that it felt just like sleep paralysis but just the outer thighs, calfs and feet. He said that the mechanism for cat and sp are essentially the same thing. The more I think of what happened, I "saw" it coming. I started to see green blobs dart from my peripheral vision, I sensed a lapse into sleep but woke up to keep myself from falling over, but the legs just did not cooperate. Given the ambiguous answer from my doc, I am confused.

#4 sleepless sleeper

sleepless sleeper

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

This happens for me even with sleep paralysis. A lot of times I have to ask my husband or kids to just move my hand. Sometimes it's as bad as making me stand up and forcing me to walk.

My sleep doc thinks it's odd. What's new?

You posted this several months ago. Anything since then?

#5 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ Jun 5 2008, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I right in assuming that it needs to be an external touch?

External touch doesn't work for me, although I have to say that my skin gets extra sensitive like I'm on the drug ecstacy and everything feels really good (never taken it but it fits descriptions I've heard.)

But it doesn't make me move. Your wife probably just started towards the end of the attack. But try it again next time...maybe you've found a great shortcut for yourself in ending your C. Who knows?

I just sit there and mentally try and wiggle my toes until they move. It makes my feet & legs tickle, but I know once I can move them that it's almost over.

Welcome to C! My motto: Cataplectics do it on the floor! laugh.gif

#6 dogdreams

dogdreams

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, science, Halloween, music (am I being too generic??)

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (Chuck Z. @ Jun 6 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really quizzed the doctor on the fact that it felt just like sleep paralysis but just the outer thighs, calfs and feet. He said that the mechanism for cat and sp are essentially the same thing. The more I think of what happened, I "saw" it coming. I started to see green blobs dart from my peripheral vision, I sensed a lapse into sleep but woke up to keep myself from falling over, but the legs just did not cooperate. Given the ambiguous answer from my doc, I am confused.

I can always feel my C coming. In fact, I can feel what part of the body it will affect and sometimes see myself falling in my head before I do, like a dress rehearsal so I get it right and don't hurt myself. I've had very few spontaneous attacks but those have happened on occasion.