Getting Through Airport Security?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twocreativenerds

twocreativenerds

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:12 PM

I just started Xyrem a few months ago, and it's been working great for me. I just realized, however, that since it's liquid, and comes in a bottle bigger than 3 ounces, it might pose a problem for me when I need to go through airport security. I know they'll let you take your medication with you, but I just don't know exactly what I have to do when I get to the airport. Who do you talk to? I don't want to bring a lot of attention to the fact that I'm carrying controlled substances, and I don't want there to be any mix-up about my medication.

#2 sleepylama

sleepylama

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:11 AM

I am not sure the answer to getting through security, other than requesting the meds come in smaller containers. However, I wanted to chime in on traveling w/Xyrem. I was on it, but am not any longer. I had 2 sleep docs and a rheumatologist both advise to not even consider taking it out of the country. I am not sure where you are travelling, but if it is out of the country, please ask your doc about this and/or check w/the country where you are visiting about the laws surrounding Xyrem. At the least they could confiscate it, but it could get far worse including jail, at least according to the docs I mentioned.

Good luck and I would be interested to know how you sort this out for my own future travel plans, should they end up including a liquid prescription at some point. =)

#3 Kimberly

Kimberly

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Retired racing Greyhounds

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

If you go onto the TSA website there is a section for people with disabilities and medical conditions. http://www.tsa.gov/t...eeds/index.shtm

It clearly states that if you have liquid medication that has been prescribed by a physician, you can bring more than 3 oz on the plane. (So you can bring Xyrem, but not OTC cough medicine). You have to separate it from the other things when you go through the scanner and declare it, but as long as it has the prescription label on the outside they should not give you any difficulty.

I just went to Cozumel, Mexico and carried my Xyrem on with me. In addition to the original packaging, I had my physician write a letter on his letterhead that I had to bring my medication with me. I also printed out the page from the TSA so in case someone at the airport gave me a hard time I would say "Look, I printed this off your website this morning."

Here in San Antonio I had no problems. I didn't have any problems boarding in Cozumel either, I just translated the following phrase into Spanish and carried it with me: "Ésta medicina ha sido prescrita por la orden de un médico." (This medicine was prescribed by the order of a physician)

QUOTE (twocreativenerds @ May 21 2008, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just started Xyrem a few months ago, and it's been working great for me. I just realized, however, that since it's liquid, and comes in a bottle bigger than 3 ounces, it might pose a problem for me when I need to go through airport security. I know they'll let you take your medication with you, but I just don't know exactly what I have to do when I get to the airport. Who do you talk to? I don't want to bring a lot of attention to the fact that I'm carrying controlled substances, and I don't want there to be any mix-up about my medication.

#4 Toph4er

Toph4er

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Narcolepsy, chemistry, soccer, video games, sleeping

Posted 22 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

just dont slip any into the pilots drink (someone might frown on that tongue.gif). There's acctually quite an interesting list of things you can/can't bring on board on the TSA website (Instruments can qualify as a third carry-on, though if it is too big you may need to buy a seat for it (some trombones, baritones, etc and tubas=good luck getting it on the plane at all biggrin.gif) but I think it qualifies as a kid's price if I'm not mistaken, so much safer than checking it! And yes, I play trombone laugh.gif)

Chris"Toph4er"

#5 danderson

danderson

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (twocreativenerds @ May 21 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been taking Xyrem for 2 years and have traveled by air at least a dozen times No problems -- just put it in a separate zip lock bag and you should have no problem. It is obviously in a prescription bottle and you can have more than 3 oz. if it is a prescription. (another respondent replied with a more thorough answer -- I just wanted to echo the fact that it is legal to take more than 3 oz liquid if it is a prescribed med.) Also, I am a 30 yr. veteran of narcolepsy and a 20 yr. resident of Solana Beach. I think we are acquainted!Xyrem and air travel

#6 Lais02

Lais02

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:36 AM

Just a reminder if you're traveling out of the country:

Bring a copy of your prescription!!!!

I used to work at the airport and I've seen customs take Prozac from people!

Make sure the medication is in a prescription bottle with your own name too lol

I just had to say it, because I saw some weird stuff when working there smile.gif