Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
merrymom1013

Taking The Sats/acts

4 posts in this topic

My daughter is beginning the process of applying for accommodations on the SATs & ACTs. From a yahoo support group, I have learned of another student who was denied accommodations on the SAT, though he did get some for the ACT. This was despite a great letter from his sleep doc explaining the narcolepsy diagnosis & supporting the need for extra time for testing. Evidently, they were stuck on wanting the kind of testing used to diagnose a learning disability.

My question for all of you- have any of you gotten accommodations on the SAT or ACT? Have you applied & been denied? What things helped or hindered the process? It might be helpful for us to have that kind of information available when we, or our kids, go through the process

I get my SAT/AP/etc. testing in the afternoon, though I haven't sought for extra time. Just being able to take it at 12 rather than 8 helps a lot for me. Good luck!

Chris"Toph4er"

An update on SAT accomodations. We received word in late September that the accomodations were denied. The information they used to deny them was the IEP submitted by the school which did refer to the limitations caused by the medical issues & her need for extra time, breaks, etc. The denial included instructions for an appeal- it took me a number of weeks to get all of the needed documentation. Sleep study results, etc as well as a doctor letter written to address the points the College Board wanted covered. We submitted all of it in November & just now (Feb) heard that the accomodations are approved. My daughter (a junior) takes the SATs next month. For other high school students/parents, if you know you will need accomodations, my advice is to start the process early. Freshman year is not too soon (especially if you are doing the PSAT in 10th grade). Definitely by spring of 10th grade if possible. Once you are approved the accomodations are for PSAT, SAT, SATII- not just for one date.

Thanks chimbakka I will share these tips with my daughter (she doesn't visit the message boards). She is beginning to work this stuff out - I see her making lots of lists & reminders, though she prefers a blackberry. She carries books & schoolwork around to use the time she has. It's definitely a learning curve- you must be smart determined & a bit lucky to have figured out a good system pre diagnosis & treatment!