7 replies to this topic

#1 aimeemerr

aimeemerr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:tropical vacations, time spent outdoors, gardening, the ocean

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:52 PM

I'm looking for thoughts from other Xyrem users -

I've been on Xyrem for over a year now and I've only stayed home alone (to sleep) once since being on Xyrem. Is there anyone out there that takes Xyrem and lives alone? Do you have any safety systems in place. My number one worry is if there was a fire and the fire alarm was going off - if I would hear it and if I would wake up to get out of the house. I know as it nears the time for my second dose I will wake up to my alarm but I worry about the hours right after taking it. I've been considering putting in a fire alarm system that would be monitored by a company and would alert the fire department if there was a fire.

Just wondering what everyone else does when they are alone and on Xyrem?! thanks.... wink.gif

#2 greatbig47

greatbig47

www.newrolemodels.com

• Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 11:28 PM

I can't honestly say I'm alone, but that sounds like a lot of fear and a lot of what ifs...
In the past, how many fires have started?

What if a fire didn't start up?
What if everything worked out just fine?

If adding the fire-alarm service helps you live without fear, do it.
You are so worth a fearless life. smile.gif

#3 aimeemerr

aimeemerr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:tropical vacations, time spent outdoors, gardening, the ocean

Posted 11 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

I usually am not alone either- but sometimes I am... I guess it is some fear- I know fires are not all that common but my childhood home did burn my senior year (that maybe part of the fear). I'm just wondering other peoples thoughts who take xyrem and possibily live alone or sleep alone sometimes.

#4 Shambo

Shambo

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:01 PM

(Note: I do not currently take Xyrem. I took it for a few months, off a few months, on a month. I had bad side effects. I am supposed to try it again in a few months.)

When I did take Xyrem, I would not take it on nights when I was going to be alone. I did worry about what would happen if there was an emergency. I tried to do the second dose but my alarm would just go off for an hour until it turned itself off. My boyfriend has told me that a few times he has tried to wake me up and I am either unresponsive or I do sort of sit up and talk to him but what I say is all non sense and I have no memory of it. This is just my experience.

I totally understand your worry because of your experience with your parents house. I am a complete worrier anyways. I do agree that the alarm service may be worth it for your peace of mind.

Do you wake up for the alarm for the second dose?

If I was you I would perform a little experiment. For a few nights, have someone hit the test button on the smoke detector at different times (depending on how long ago you took your medicine will effect your ability respond) each night and see if it can wake you up.

Depending on your relationship with your neighbors, let them know that you have a very hard time waking up during the night just to have someone else aware in case there is any type of emergency not just a fire.

#5 uj9hdg

uj9hdg

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Jet Skiing, Saltwater Sport Fishing

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:19 PM

I currently take xyrem & live alone, I think a fire alarm would wake me up, I'm not really worried about anything. Try having someone set the fire alarm off when your sleeping see if you wake up.

#6 star9521

star9521

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Sewing - Crosswords - Friends - Family - Tennis - Pilates - Running - Yoga - Traveling - Good Company - Intelligent Conversations - Sports Fan - Cheering for the Underdog - Living Life to the Fullest

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (aimeemerr @ May 10 2008, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm looking for thoughts from other Xyrem users -

I've been on Xyrem for over a year now and I've only stayed home alone (to sleep) once since being on Xyrem. Is there anyone out there that takes Xyrem and lives alone? Do you have any safety systems in place. My number one worry is if there was a fire and the fire alarm was going off - if I would hear it and if I would wake up to get out of the house. I know as it nears the time for my second dose I will wake up to my alarm but I worry about the hours right after taking it. I've been considering putting in a fire alarm system that would be monitored by a company and would alert the fire department if there was a fire.

Just wondering what everyone else does when they are alone and on Xyrem?! thanks.... wink.gif

Hey there.....I live alone and have for many years. I have been on Xyrem since March 2008 and have had no issues with waking up and/or anxiety about it. I have, on occasion, not woken up for my second dose but that is usually due to getting to bed later. For example, I had taken my first dose as usual and then gotten an emergency call an hour and a half later and I woke up with no problem.... although a bit groggy, but I was able to function.

I have not installed any other safety devices than a smoke detector and making sure my doors and windows are locked every night. I'm a live in the moment type of person and don't believe in worrying about the what if's. Live the best life you can and enjoy the journey!!!!

I hope this helps to relieve some of your concerns and anxiety. There is not a day or night that I am not thankful for finding Xyrem and the way its changed my life.

Good Luck!!!

#7 Damian

Damian

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Use to be Karate, swimming and cars

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:32 PM

I am just making my first mix of xyrem and will see how I am I also on my own just wondering if you feel any different since taking xyrem? if so how do you feel different?

#8 danderson

danderson

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE (Damian @ Jul 9 2008, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am just making my first mix of xyrem and will see how I am I also on my own just wondering if you feel any different since taking xyrem? if so how do you feel different?

I have had narcolepsy almost 30 years and have been Xyrem for 2 years -- it has given
me my life back. I am almost "normal" again. It has been wonderful for my family as well since I can now function almost normally.
I must warn you to be very careful -- I have known 2 people who have had extremely bad accidents -- one almost resulting in death -- because she did not take her medicine while reclining. She took it, sat up in bed reading, and broke the first 2 vertebrae of he neck when she fell out of bed after she fell asleep. She is fine now. However, ...this can and does happen. I just want to warn you to go to the bathroom first, then take your meds, and turn out the light and lie in bed. You will soon be asleep. And hopefully you will feel better rested than you have in a long while. And your cataplexy will be in much better shape. Each time you take the meds, be in bed, and don't get out of bed unless there is a real emergency until a couple of hours have passed. The rewards from Xyrem are wonderful -- I can't stress that enough. to